• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 camdigger OFFLINE  

camdigger
  • Member No: 70250
  • 678 Thanks
  • 234 posts

Posted February 20, 2016 - 09:22 AM

I've always travelled for work. I have spent an average of 250 days a year for nearly 30 years away from my primary residence for the sake of work. So far, I've worked in 6 different countries on 4 different continents.

I'm beginning to hate hotels. Got in to a 4 star hotel at 10:30 p.m. last night, restaurants were both closed, the 3 lounge staff ignored us for 15-20 minutes even though I'd spoken to them and asked if they were open when we first got in there, took till midnight to get dinner, then there is no WIFI in the rooms so I have to use a phone modem to use the internet to do a nightly check in with SWMBO who is 400 miles away with the rest of the brood putting the oldest on a plane bound on a solo trip that will take her halfway around the world with a week's layover part way.

Maybe I'm just old and cranky, but what can they do? send me home to commune with my GT and shop stuff? I say bring it on....... The romance of travel is officially dead.

I DON'T CARE IF I EVER SEE ANOTHER AIRPORT OR STAY IN ANOTHER HOTEL/MOTEL IN MY LIFE.

Edited by camdigger, February 20, 2016 - 09:24 AM.

• olcowhand, Gtractor, hamman and 5 others have said thanks

#2 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,528 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted February 20, 2016 - 09:41 AM

I only ever worked away from home a few times. I only realized how much I missed my family. So glad when I got to go home.
  • hamman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,235 Thanks
  • 5,073 posts

Posted February 20, 2016 - 09:43 AM

I loved in a motel for a year traveling for work. I am done with that. I don't ever want to again. The first few weeks if was like a vacation. Hot tub, pool, hot breakfast in the morning. Then it got old...

Then i moved to the hunting camp for a year. Now I am finally home nearly every night.

Edited by toomanytoys84, February 20, 2016 - 09:44 AM.

• hamman, boyscout862 and camdigger have said thanks

#4 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted February 20, 2016 - 09:58 AM

I hate traveling, period!

• hamman said thank you

#5 camdigger OFFLINE  

camdigger
  • 678 Thanks
  • 234 posts

Posted February 20, 2016 - 10:55 AM

I loved in a motel for a year traveling for work. I am done with that. I don't ever want to again. The first few weeks if was like a vacation. Hot tub, pool, hot breakfast in the morning. Then it got old...

Then i moved to the hunting camp for a year. Now I am finally home nearly every night.

Yep, doesn't take long for the bloom on that rose to fade. Hard to appreciate the hot tub, pool, and pool side cabana service while taking calls from SWMBO back home wondering how to get the driveway plowed so your kids can make it to Granny's house for family dinner. Also hard to explain to friends and family back home who have rarely made it further afield than a hundred miles away why you don't csre to spend your holidays in Hawaii or other exotic locales, but prefer to stay home....

Classic case of "the grass is always greener"....

Edited by camdigger, February 20, 2016 - 11:02 AM.

• hamman, boyscout862, oldedeeres and 2 others have said thanks

#6 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,235 Thanks
  • 5,073 posts

Posted February 20, 2016 - 11:03 AM

Yep, doesn't take long for the bloom on that rose to fade. Hard to appreciate the hot tub, pool, and pool side cabana service while taking calls from SWMBO back home wondering how to get then driveway plowed so your kids can make it to Granny's house for family dinner. Also hard to explain to friends and family back home who have rarely made it further afield than a hundred miles away why you don't csre to spend your holidays in Hawaii or other exotic locales, but prefer to stsy home....

Or its 5 below outside and your furnace won't run so you try to walk your wife through troubling shooting it. Or your septic tank over flows, or your hot water heater breaks, or your daughter breaks her arm, or the oil furnace runs out of fuel, or a family member suddenly passes away, or your father in law gets really sick, or your grass needs cut, or your roof is leaking around the chimney, or a water line freezes, or your kitchen sink plugs up...

Those problems some minor some major. Missing the first year of my sons life and a year of my daughters life because I was constantly working really was the worst of all.

That's a few of the problems dozens of things I had occur awhile I was a couple hundred miles from home for work.
  • hamman, boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#7 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,597 Thanks
  • 3,906 posts

Posted February 20, 2016 - 11:13 AM

I loved in a motel for a year traveling for work.

I hope your wife don't find out!   :poke:  :smilewink:

• hamman, boyscout862, KC9KAS and 4 others have said thanks

#8 camdigger OFFLINE  

camdigger
  • 678 Thanks
  • 234 posts

Posted February 20, 2016 - 11:20 AM

Or its 5 below outside and your furnace won't run so you try to walk your wife through troubling shooting it. Or your septic tank over flows, or your hot water heater breaks, or your daughter breaks her arm, or the oil furnace runs out of fuel, or a family member suddenly passes away, or your father in law gets really sick, or your grass needs cut, or your roof is leaking around the chimney, or a water line freezes, or your kitchen sink plugs up...

Those problems some minor some major. Missing the first year of my sons life and a year of my daughters life because I was constantly working really was the worst of all.

That's a few of the problems dozens of things I had occur awhile I was a couple hundred miles from home for work.

Yep, I've got stories.

Some you will believe,, others you may not. All will be true. I could share, but guaranteed, some may well be far beyond what will be generally believed in this forum.......
  • hamman, boyscout862, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#9 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,235 Thanks
  • 5,073 posts

Posted February 20, 2016 - 11:44 AM

Yep, I've got stories.

Some you will believe,, others you may not. All will be true. I could share, but guaranteed, some may well be far beyond what will be generally believed in this forum.......

I feel ya.  I only did it for 2 years.  I do work out of town some now still, but not weeks at a time like it was.  I don't know how you kept it up for 20 years.  I would of went insane if I had to do it another year

• hamman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#10 camdigger OFFLINE  

camdigger
  • 678 Thanks
  • 234 posts

Posted February 20, 2016 - 11:51 AM

.................I don't know how you kept it up for 20 years.  I would of went insane if I had to do it another year

If there is interest, I could share a smattering of my experiences to date... Complete with pictures to verify for the skeptical..
  • Gtractor, hamman, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#11 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,761 Thanks
  • 7,528 posts

Posted February 20, 2016 - 11:51 AM

I enjoyed travelling for work before I got married. After that, I only enjoyed when my COL sent me to the same post where my wife was stationed. We both left the Army within the year. After that I did Reserve duty for 2 weeks each year and that was tolerable but not enjoyed. After the kid was born I only did two more annual duties away from home. A company I worked for required us to come to corporate HQ for a weekend each year. I was glad to leave them and haven't travelled for work, in over 12 years.

Took a trip with the wife, 3 years ago. I wasn't fun. Most hotels were a disappointment such that on the trip back home we did it as a 3 day marathon drive. I've got what I want here so, here I'll stay. 40 years ago I camped from CT to CA and back for a summer. I'd like to do that again but, I'm to worn out. Good Luck, Rick

BTW,  Camdigger, I was a Rumpole fan and use the full term when she isn't around.

Edited by boyscout862, February 20, 2016 - 11:53 AM.

• hamman and Eric have said thanks

#12 camdigger OFFLINE  

camdigger
  • 678 Thanks
  • 234 posts

Posted February 20, 2016 - 12:06 PM

Or your 16 year old daughter gets a dog bite from s potentially rabid dog and starts the whole rabies protocol which is complicated by an allergy to equine vaccines.... Loooong sad tale of woe there.....
  • hamman, boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#13 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,626 Thanks
  • 2,580 posts

Posted February 20, 2016 - 12:17 PM

Never did like to travel for work. I did for about 5 years travel intermittently, I can't imagine having to be gone for so long away from my family and home. Hope it gets better and thank you for being one of those who is still dedicated to their family and is working so hard for them. Not easy being a Husband, father, and friend when you are gone so much. By the same token congratulations to your wife for allowing this to happen and still be there for you and the family. Family is what it is all about.Good Luck.                                                                                                                                                                                           Roger

• oldedeeres said thank you

#14 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,837 Thanks
  • 3,189 posts

Posted February 20, 2016 - 02:15 PM

When I was young I'd have travelled anywhere, any time, at the drop of a hat. Now I'm uncomfortable going to the city for a shopping trip. Still love to go, but start missing the things I should be doing at home about half way through the day. You have my respect, Camdigger, that is not an easy life.
  • KennyP, boyscout862 and camdigger have said thanks

#15 karl OFFLINE  

karl
  • Member No: 38218
  • 1,033 Thanks
  • 770 posts

Posted February 20, 2016 - 04:37 PM

I commuted 4 hrs.A Day, 100 miles each way, for 25 yrs. In 4 season weather. It was like having two jobs.

Edited by karl, February 20, 2016 - 04:38 PM.

• boyscout862 said thank you