• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 holdenboy1960 OFFLINE  

holdenboy1960
  • Member No: 62113
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 819 posts

Posted February 20, 2016 - 02:46 AM

i was on Youtube last weekend & got on to oil burning alternatives for stoves & pot bellies so off i ushered to have a go at making 1 of these new beaut things & here is the results of the build

i used a cast iron fry pan for the oil burner bowl   P7050010.JPG  

P7050011.JPG  this is a view inside of the burner stack

a lot of these i was made never had a cap on top but i put 1 on to stop burning the baffle plate in the stove P7050012.JPG

this is the stack & baffle plate in the stove P7050013.JPG

P7050009.JPG  as it is set up in the pot belly in my hut 

the 3rd pic shows the steel chalk ring mark i drew on the cast iron plate from a outdoor BBQ which shows the vent or breather holes i drilled 5/8' ,the little stack is 4" steel pipe heavy type for welding

the slotted hole was there ,so i used it as a filler to fill the unit with used oil with a steel funnel & i use a little bit of Methylated spirits to light it with & i just use the stove flutes to control the burn with '

it works really well with very little smoke at all compared to wood burn , but the oil is pretty clean that i'm using though 

it burnt for about 2 hrs or bit longer with 3/4 full of oil but would probably burn longer if using heavier type oils 

Shane

• Alc, KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,466 Thanks
  • 39,701 posts

Posted February 20, 2016 - 05:13 AM

Pretty simple set up! Thinking about something similar.

• boyscout862 and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,303 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted February 20, 2016 - 07:25 AM

One of the big things to overcome is temp v viscosity.
Warmer=thinner=faster flow
Read and pick the best work around for your situation
  • boyscout862 and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted February 20, 2016 - 07:33 AM

Interesting idea. How was your trip? Good Luck, Rick
  • holdenboy1960 said thank you

#5 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,163 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted February 20, 2016 - 08:19 AM

Interesting but would need an auto filler.  Larger scale for a larger area like a shop ,more trips to fuel it.  They have furnaces the burn waste oil that are very efficient.  Friend has one in his large truck/tractor repair shop.  Use the waste oil from his shop only and hasn't bought any gas in several years.

• holdenboy1960 said thank you

#6 holdenboy1960 OFFLINE  

holdenboy1960
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 819 posts

Posted February 20, 2016 - 08:29 AM

Rick , trip bush is always good Heavenly Quiet cept the noise & time to think a bit 

MH81 ,with the thin oil i was burning i was pretty happy with the burn time , but remembering oil of any sort has a LOT of energy for heat so i will run it for a bit this winter coming & see & do a few little alterations & such maybe ,

but i do need a few more breather holes in the flat plate for it to breath a little better i think 

i do have another stove near my hut to replace the baffle in so might do some tests on it as well

Kenny , the hardest part was drilling all the holes in the little stack with the press drill , that's why i decided to cut slots in it , made it quicker & much easier & i can adjust the hole sizes by opening or closing the slot tags a bit if needed

• KennyP said thank you

#7 holdenboy1960 OFFLINE  

holdenboy1960
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 819 posts

Posted February 20, 2016 - 08:33 AM

Interesting but would need an auto filler.  Larger scale for a larger area like a shop ,more trips to fuel it.  They have furnaces the burn waste oil that are very efficient.  Friend has one in his large truck/tractor repair shop.  Use the waste oil from his shop only and hasn't bought any gas in several years.

i did consider a tank above but seemed unsafe to me so just for trial & such i opted to just have a manual fill & also i never had a adjustable inline jet any where close to be found 

• KennyP said thank you

#8 holdenboy1960 OFFLINE  

holdenboy1960
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 819 posts

Posted February 27, 2016 - 08:12 AM

UPDATE on this type of system 

i decided to make another 1 for the other stove as it dont have a baffle plate in side the plate had burnt out & cracked in half still to cut 1 for it,

with no more said here are some pic's of it 

tis ie the plate cut out & off to size P7100028.JPG the plate i'm using is an outdoor gas BBQ as it is a hot cast & can be welded with mig or stick without to much hassle unlike chilled or tempered cast iron or even a cold cast

P7100037.JPG is of the stack set ready to weld on

here i did a bit different i welded 4 swirl bars in it but i don't think it made any difference P7100043.JPG , it is welded on P7100045.JPG   

the out door camping roast dish (cast iron ) bout 2,1/2" deep for the oil burner tub rectangle shape P7100038.JPG just squeezed into the stove 

the stove being used P7120047.JPG & the fire P7120050.JPG i did place a temporary baffle plate in as it needed it to low the drawing a bit because there is no flute in the stove stack only the bottom air adjustable vents 

P7120052.JPG i spaced the baffle 1/4 " above the fire stack inside to get it to burn better on the  oil, i  use a bit of metho to light it with 

P7120054.JPG this is about 60 to 70 % cleaner than wood burn on a 4 inch stack 6 ft high the dish fan(Run sorry ) for approx 5.1/2 to 6 hrs on 1/2 full unit at roughly 2 turns on the 2 vents ,Stainless Steel Kettle was still hot next morning 6,1/2  hrs later after lighting it 

Shane 

Edited by holdenboy1960, February 27, 2016 - 08:53 AM.

• MH81 and KennyP have said thanks