49 replies to this topic

#31 Diesel1050 OFFLINE  

Diesel1050

Diesel Nut!

• Member No: 69580
  • 348 Thanks
  • 396 posts

Posted February 19, 2016 - 08:14 AM

How about MTX's? I bought a set of 35x12.5x16's from VIP.....They look great on my truck! Very aggressive
  • vewatodo said thank you

#32 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted February 19, 2016 - 08:34 AM

Mastercraft tires are garbage for wear in my opinion. Great performing but dont expect more that 20k from them. I've bought dozens of sets of them for company trucks. Courser at and mt. Only reason I kept buying them was because the people we used that was all they would order.

Wow, that's interesting.  The reason I buy the Mastercraft is because they last so long and still have a good bite even when they wear down.  I probably have over 30,000 miles on them now and they aren't even half gone.  Maybe it has something to do with "company trucks" and how they are driven?  Let's face it, no tire lasts the way they used to.

#33 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,491 Thanks
  • 4,947 posts

Posted February 19, 2016 - 08:37 AM

Well, guess I will throw my $.02 in the ring.

I personally hate Goodyears, always wore out and too expensive.

Now that being said, I have a buddy who ran the Duratracs 265/75/16's on his lifted Jeep liberty. He went everywhere including  heavy offroading and got over 70K miles on them.

Bridgestone- I wouldn't put them on a bicycle, by far the worst tires I ever owned. My dad and buddy had exact same tires, they both hated them too.

We have Cooper AT/3's 245-65/16 on my wife's Jeep Liberty. I don't know if it cause she has a light vehicle, but they suck in the rain, we can do a 180 around a corner when wet in a heartbeat. My buddy has them on his Fullsize GM truck 265-75/16, he loves them and has no issues with them in any condition.

I used to have Toyo open country AT-II's, 285-75-16 on my Tahoe, I loved them and got  about 50K out of them. I would have gotten them again, but they were around $215 a tire before mounting.

I have a buddy who owns a shop and got my tires through him, He talked me into going with Hercules Terra-Trac II's in 285-75-16, says he runs Hercules on all his personal vehicles. Hercules is actually the parent company of Cooper and one of only 3 US tires manufacturers ( so I was told). They have deep tread with a mix of silica in the rubber for extra traction and so far, they haven't left me disappointed. They are wearing well and are fairly quite on the highway. Not sure how much of a deal my buddy gave me, but I have all four mounted/balanced for $770.

• backwoods said thank you

#34 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted February 19, 2016 - 09:07 AM

Between reading what you guys are saying an online reviews of the tires im wondering if each state has its own mixture of asphalt that they but on the roads? Im very picky on vehicle maintenance to make sure tires last since they cost so much always rotating them making sure suspension parts are good an get tires balanced around 15k after there installed to ensure they last.

#35 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted February 19, 2016 - 09:44 AM

I'm kind of partial to either Kuhmos or Kendas

#36 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted February 19, 2016 - 11:31 AM

I've never ran either a friend just bought kuhmos for his Dakota I'll check with him to see what he thinks he's had them on since the end of august.

#37 MiCarl OFFLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 849 Thanks
  • 487 posts

Posted February 19, 2016 - 11:43 AM

I didn't even know Kenda made a light truck tire!  Love their motorcycle tires.

#38 MiCarl OFFLINE  

MiCarl
  • 849 Thanks
  • 487 posts

Posted February 19, 2016 - 11:55 AM

The durango will see some off road use nothing major but to go urban exploring i need an aggressive at to get some places but not a full on mud tire. So im trying to find a tire that is the best of both worlds i guess but not kill what gas mileage i do have, im i looking for the impossible tire? Last night i tired to find the liberator at an had no luck now that im on my comp im going to do some searching.

Sounds similar to my use.

Mostly highway.  Occasionally get some snow.  Spend about 7 days/year in the woods hunting.  Both the Mastercraft and Dynapros were more than adequate for the job.

I mentioned in an earlier post that the Dynapros were noisy at about 40MPH on the Yukon.  I suspect the passenger cabin in the Yukon was the right size to resonate with them at that speed.  They were perfectly quiet at freeway speed and I liked them enough I'd have put them on the Colorado except they weren't offered in the Colorado size.

#39 nbent OFFLINE  

nbent

customizer

• Member No: 8320
  • 628 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted February 19, 2016 - 12:09 PM

I haven't had much luck with master craft we have a Nissan 720 with a bulge in the sidewall and the tires don't have more than 2k on them. I had them on my escape and wore really fast and sucked in the winter. Last December I had some snow tires put on and they are wearing tons better than the master craft at.

#40 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted February 19, 2016 - 03:04 PM

Well I've decided that I'm going to get my tires at wal mart an the choices are narrowed down to the Goodyear authority ats the hankook dynapro at/m or Mickey Thompson baja radial stz. I think what will sway me is what they have in stock in the size I need.

Edited by backwoods, February 19, 2016 - 03:42 PM.

#41 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted February 19, 2016 - 03:51 PM

Wow, that's interesting. The reason I buy the Mastercraft is because they last so long and still have a good bite even when they wear down. I probably have over 30,000 miles on them now and they aren't even half gone. Maybe it has something to do with "company trucks" and how they are driven? Let's face it, no tire lasts the way they used to.

I had a set on my ram. Got 22k out of them.

The company truck tires are 75% gravel and 25% pavement and last an average of 10k miles.

#42 MiCarl OFFLINE  

MiCarl
  • 849 Thanks
  • 487 posts

Posted February 19, 2016 - 04:34 PM

Most civilized tire discussion I've ever seen.

Should we try our hand at oil?  Or perhaps blonde/brunette/redhead?

• backwoods and dropped82 have said thanks

#43 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,134 posts

Posted February 19, 2016 - 04:53 PM

I didn't even know Kenda made a light truck tire! Love their motorcycle tires.

my kid has a set kenda's on his BMX bike! they held up to a 7yr old

#44 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted February 19, 2016 - 05:24 PM

Most civilized tire discussion I've ever seen.

Should we try our hand at oil? Or perhaps blonde/brunette/redhead?

Usually the oil topics get shut down by the mods over a heated dis agreement on brands weights detergent or not. Same with fuel weather it's to treat or not ethanol free or not 87 or high test an which treatments are the best.

#45 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted February 19, 2016 - 09:21 PM

Well i ended up with the authority's since they were the only ones in stock in my size.