• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted February 18, 2016 - 08:53 PM

Had Wranglers on my Cherokee the last 3 sets, and never had any issues with them at all.  Lasted well and gave good performance.  I have Kumho 10 ply on my F250.

• backwoods said thank you

#17 Coventry Plumber ONLINE  

Coventry Plumber
  • Member No: 60643
  • 1,031 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted February 18, 2016 - 08:54 PM

I have the wranglers on my box truck 3 months a year for snow tires and I am more than happy with the traction they provide. I'm not saying the other brands mentioned aren't good I'm just speaking to my experience . With the aggressive tread I can feel the difference from the highway tread pattern it came with but its a truck and not a limousine .

#18 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,240 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted February 18, 2016 - 08:56 PM

Michelin LTX-A/T which I absolutely loved that set of tires...!

The Michelin ltx series are fantastic tires. But man they are they pricey

#19 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted February 18, 2016 - 09:03 PM

The Michelin ltx series are fantastic tires. But man they are they pricey

Yes, Michelin tires are VERY good tires, but I can't afford!

• backwoods and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#20 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,240 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted February 18, 2016 - 09:06 PM

Yes, Michelin tires are VERY good tires, but I can't afford!

That's why I passed on them when I bought my coopers.

225 each. A grand mounted and balanced...I liked the 500 for the coopers much better.

#21 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9923
  • 1,397 Thanks
  • 1,228 posts

Posted February 18, 2016 - 09:08 PM

Michelin is hands down probably the best tire I've run. My first set of Goodyear wranglers I owned came on my Silverado. They had terrible life. Replaced with Michelins. For some reason decided to try another set of Goodyears on my wifes Suburban since I got a real nice deal. They were the Goodyear Assurance. I'm completely impressed. Best riding and wearing Goodyear I've had. I have a set of Firestones on my car. They seem to never show any wear.

Eric

Edited by dropped82, February 18, 2016 - 09:09 PM.

#22 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted February 18, 2016 - 09:23 PM

I've personally never had luck.with any Cooper tire they either wear out to fast or get a choppy tread. I did have a set of the uniroyal liberator ats I loved them they lasted forever an great traction till the end but I can't find them anywhere. I've never had matercrafts but friends have a great traction they complained they didn't last long is that true? They were an at on a f150 4wd. I've never owned Michelin tires only cause i can't afford a set same with bfgoodrich my dad has had them.with great luck but I don't have that kind of money for a 16" tire.

Edited by backwoods, February 18, 2016 - 09:24 PM.

#23 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted February 18, 2016 - 09:24 PM

Way way back almost 40 years ago, I had a set of Uniroyal Tigerpaws that lasted and lasted.  Treadlife was amazing.

• backwoods and dropped82 have said thanks

#24 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted February 18, 2016 - 09:48 PM

Every brand has more than one model of tire in its lineup. With most brands some are good some are bad, some are made to a price point over any one specific quality, you have speed rated tires, highway tires, all season, all terrain, mudders and more.

With MOST brands they all have good and bad within the brand. Except Goodyear. I have only had 1 that I would call "good". these were the (made for Sears) Weatherhandler, sold under their own brand as the Regatta. I do not think that they are made any more.

I had these on one of my Dodge Diplomat ex-squads. (I have owned 2 of those cars) Besides that 1 set of Goodyears, which were the only set of Goodyears that I actually bought, the rest came on vehicles when I bought them, put there by the former owner.

and every Goodyear that came to me that way universally sucked. Having been an alignment guy for 20 years earlier in my life, I have seen alot of ride and handling problems related  to tires.  Through the years of making my living from beneath an alignment rack, I have seen more issues with Goodyears in general  ("General" wasnt far behind) than anything else.

They are appropriately named// You can honestly expect only 1 good year out of a set of Goodyears.

The only ones that I regularly heard good things about  even from others, was a line of tires they called "Unisteel" which was a commercial line. Do not know if they still make them. Most were 10 ply or more.

#25 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted February 18, 2016 - 09:51 PM

Way way back almost 40 years ago, I had a set of Uniroyal Tigerpaws that lasted and lasted.  Treadlife was amazing.

Uniroyal has come a long way. Back in the 70s they were owned by a different division of the company my Dad worked for, US Steel. Back then, Uniroyals were sheer junk. They are much better today.

#26 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 831 Thanks
  • 477 posts

Posted February 18, 2016 - 09:59 PM

I second that Hankook dynopro's great tires they are awesome in the snow I had on my old 02 ranger before I sold it

I used to have a Yukon, it was terrible in snow.  Even in 4WD in light snow if I turned the truck tried to go straight.  Then I put a set of Hankook Dynapros on it.  Traction was wonderful and the truck always went where I wanted it to.  They were noisy though - at 40MPH it sounded like every bearing in the truck was failing.

#27 ejones037 OFFLINE  

ejones037
  • Member No: 79527
  • 19 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted February 19, 2016 - 12:22 AM

The duratrac is a very nice tire. For what it's worth the kelly safari tsr is nearly identical and made by Goodyear also run them on my Cherokee year round and have about 35k miles on them. Rotate every 6k mi. Still have 12/32" and will be looking to replace before next winter. Still providing plenty of traction I live just west of Rochester. Have been off roading for about 20 years and the duratrac/tsr platform tire is the best all around tire I have ever owned. Running every thing from highway treads to super swappers they have provided the best balance of ride to traction without requiring a second set of tires. I would most certainly go with the duratrac. The authority is similar but is a club tire and receives a different rubber compound than the mainline good years or Kelly's

#28 Bmerf ONLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted February 19, 2016 - 06:47 AM

Hankook dynopro's on the Trail Blazer. Been a good tire. Lots of traction in the snow; even though they look like a highway tire, 43,000 miles and counting. Well over half tread left (closer to 3/4). Splurged on the plow truck, B.F. Goodrich ATs or ATX (not sure) very good tire. Pricy, but caught them on sale. Can't say as to how long they will last, truck only gets driven 4-5000 miles a year. After 1 year, they still look like new. Excellent traction in snow.

#29 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted February 19, 2016 - 07:08 AM

I've got Mastercraft Courser A/T 2s on my Colorado.  Been very happy with them.  They are great in the snow, I'm astonished how seldom I need 4WD with them and they're fairly quiet.

I've only had them a couple years so don't really know how they'll hold up.  Only 25K or so on them now.

I second that.  Mastercraft Courser A/T2 are the only tires I use on my truck.  I had Goodyears on one truck and by the time they were almost half gone, I couldn't steer worth a darn.  My Mastercrafts have been on for about 4 years now.  Still got a few years before they won't pass inspection.  Love them!

#30 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted February 19, 2016 - 07:47 AM

The durango will see some off road use nothing major but to go urban exploring i need an aggressive at to get some places but not a full on mud tire. So im trying to find a tire that is the best of both worlds i guess but not kill what gas mileage i do have, im i looking for the impossible tire? Last night i tired to find the liberator at an had no luck now that im on my comp im going to do some searching.