• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted February 18, 2016 - 07:11 PM

So I'm looking at Goodyear tires for my 2002 Durango so I'm having a hard time deciding between the duratracs an the wrangler authority that are sold at walmart. Does anybody have an experience with the duratracs? I live in NY state pull a trailer for my tractors an the county doesn't do the best job plowing are roads.
  • 637Yeoman said thank you

#2 olds45512 ONLINE  

olds45512
  • Member No: 77943
  • 609 Thanks
  • 349 posts

Posted February 18, 2016 - 07:25 PM

Honestly I'd look at something other than Goodyear, I've never had a Goodyear tire last. Continental tires are another one to avoid, had them on 2 different trucks and they suck in the rain and we're even worse in the snow. Mastercraft makes a good tire that last and perform very well.
  • dodge trucker and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,611 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted February 18, 2016 - 07:27 PM

No experience with either of those, but I've gotten great traction with the Wrangler All Terrain tires on my Grand Cherokee.

Pic of mine below.

tire.jpg

Those "Authority" tires sure do look aggressive enough, but may have some road noise, but I like their looks.  The Duratracks likely are quieter.

• backwoods, Dieselcubmike and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#4 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted February 18, 2016 - 07:31 PM

The only tires I've had last were good years an firestones. What mastercrafts would you recommend for a Durango
  • 637Yeoman said thank you

#5 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted February 18, 2016 - 07:33 PM

The wrangler Daniel don't come in 16" here the authority's were quite on my f-150 I had but it had dual exhaust an the Durango has a thrush chamber muffler on it.
  • olcowhand and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#6 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 835 Thanks
  • 480 posts

Posted February 18, 2016 - 07:40 PM

I've got Mastercraft Courser A/T 2s on my Colorado.  Been very happy with them.  They are great in the snow, I'm astonished how seldom I need 4WD with them and they're fairly quiet.

I've only had them a couple years so don't really know how they'll hold up.  Only 25K or so on them now.

• backwoods said thank you

#7 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,392 Thanks
  • 1,527 posts

Posted February 18, 2016 - 07:40 PM

BF Goodrich makes a good tire, I plan to get a set for my truck eventually, one to avoid would be Cooper Discoverer all terrains, my truck came with a set on when I bought it, I hate them, more of a highway tire than a all terrain.

#8 olds45512 ONLINE  

olds45512
  • Member No: 77943
  • 609 Thanks
  • 349 posts

Posted February 18, 2016 - 07:44 PM

I had the courser a/t2 on my last truck and it was a tank.

#9 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted February 18, 2016 - 07:49 PM

I'm a FIRM believer in the Hankook tires.

I have them on my Dakota and on my motorhome.

Hankook tires have a stellar reputation in the RV community.

• Bmerf said thank you

#10 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,708 Thanks
  • 8,895 posts

Posted February 18, 2016 - 08:01 PM

I used to bad mouth Goodyears also, but they have really made some of the best LT tires out there in the last 5-10 years, imo. My FIL got 82,000 out of the Wrangler ST's that came factory on my dad's 07 1/2 ton, and is now running the Wrangler SilentArmor on it for the last 6 months and likes them.

#11 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,133 posts

Posted February 18, 2016 - 08:21 PM

I'm a FIRM believer in the Hankook tires.

I have them on my Dakota and on my motorhome.

Hankook tires have a stellar reputation in the RV community.

I second that Hankook dynopro's great tires they are awesome in the snow I had on my old 02 ranger before I sold it
  • backwoods and Bmerf have said thanks

#12 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted February 18, 2016 - 08:32 PM

Finding them around here is hard an when I do the price about gave me a heart attack when I was shopping for the wife's grand Cherokee but I settled on Kelly atrs an it's a beast in the snow she's only used 4wd once this winter

#13 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,241 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted February 18, 2016 - 08:40 PM

The dura tracs are awesome tires. In some ways. Lasted a long time(to my annoyance) Great traction but stiff and loud! I mean loud. On my truck the roared like a thousand angry dinosaurs. I like a quiet ride. They were heavy. And they made my truck ride like a dump truck. My gas mileage suffered too since they were heavy.

Your results my vary.

Now for me to stand on my soap box and say what my favorite tire is.

My last tire purchase was a set of Cooper Discovery AT3. I love them. 20k miles and they look like new. Amazing in the snow! People were complaining about the roads the other day. I drove to work in 2 wheel drive. Quiet. Light. And look good(for a tire). Not a mud tire but I've had no trouble with traction at the camp or fishing trails.

Also got the full set for just over 500 mounted and balanced.

Mastercraft tires are garbage for wear in my opinion. Great performing but dont expect more that 20k from them. I've bought dozens of sets of them for company trucks. Courser at and mt. Only reason I kept buying them was because the people we used that was all they would order.

Tires are one of those things we are all going to disagree in some way on.

We all have different expectations and roughness on tires. When I was 18 you could of given me a set of solid rubber tires and I would of shredded them. Now I'm a bit more fame and easy. Also rotate them and watch tire pressures.

Edited by toomanytoys84, February 18, 2016 - 08:47 PM.

#14 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,439 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted February 18, 2016 - 08:42 PM

No experience with either of those, but I've gotten great traction with the Wrangler All Terrain tires on my Grand Cherokee.

Pic of mine below.

attachicon.giftire.jpg

Those "Authority" tires sure do look aggressive enough, but may have some road noise, but I like their looks.  The Duratracks likely are quieter.

Goodyear made probably 10 different "Wranglers"   some straight Highway ("HT") and from there different levels of aggressiveness.  I have had at least 3 variants of Goodyear Wranglers on the vehicles I have had over the years, and they have been hands down without a doubt the absolute WORST rags I have ever driven on.

Check into Cooper, they have several that provide a good bang for the buck, I have had much better tire life and traction from them than any goodyear that I have ever experienced,

as far as Mastercraft, I believe that they are another brand owned by Cooper. 

If you always, ever, only drive on bone dry fresh new asphalt roads, then I guess those Goodyears might be OK.

If money were no object at any given time I needed tires,  I would never buy any tire besides a Michelin or a BFGoodrich.  (Michelin owns BFG and Uniroyal too)

but since I aint made of money I have the Cooper Discover AT3 on my wife's Durango, after 40K miles so far so good.  I have BFG All Terrain T/A's on my Jeep Wrangler, love em.

When I bought that Jeep 16 years ago it had 19K miles on it with the (OEM from Jeep) Goodyear Wrangler RT/S. still had over half tread but forget about snow or ice or frost,  all it had to be is wet from morning dew and I could not take off with it on paved roads w/o pulling the stick for 4wd.  No matter what I did. Lug the motor, take off in 2nd, didnt matter. any dampness at all and it was spin city.

I had that Jeep for ~700 miles and dumped the Badyears for Michelin LTX-A/T  which I absolutely loved that set of tires... ran em 55K on the Wrangler and put em on my Cherokee for another 20K. 

Then I had the LTX  A/T2's  (same tire after a redesign) and they were still better than the Goodyears but not quite as good as the 1st set of LTX A/T's.

I had an 87 Dodge, 3/4 ton Window van that the past owner had "JUST" replaced the tires before I got it (still had the nubbies on them and the blue on the raised white letters) and it had Wrangler H/T's on it... I could not wait to get them off of it. I had that van ~3 weeks and was on an interstate with the cruise on 60, and went across a little bridge over a creek, the road was just damp. All of a sudden the back wheels lost traction and I started to get squirrelly. I tossed them Goodyears in the scrap even though they were literally brand new and again went with Michelins. It was like a totally different van!

Edited by dodge trucker, February 18, 2016 - 08:53 PM.

#15 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted February 18, 2016 - 08:44 PM

Now her jeep.had the Cooper at3 an it tore them apart an a friend went through a couple sets on his jeep too. I was originally looking at the fierce attitude mt but heard they were louder then.the 6ply duratracs