• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted February 18, 2016 - 05:53 PM

I've never had this much problems before...   I was cutting a piece of 2X and I went to back it out some and the blade came off the wheels..   OK,,, So I put it back together and for the life of me ,, It will not stay on the wheels now..  I've adjusted the tension er,, I've balanced the blade on the wheel,,,  turned it about 100 times,, and as soon as I turn it on,,,,,,, it jumps off the wheels..

Blade looks strait,, no kinks.. no bends..    I'm wondering how tight should the blade be in the normal running position...?   a'm I too tight or too loose.???   When I turn on the motor,, it jumps off in less than a second .. My next step is to run a strait edge on the wheels and start from scratch..   Nothing seems to work.. Any suggestions..????

Thanks                sodi

• hamman and sallyge11 have said thanks

#2 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 988 Thanks
  • 672 posts

Posted February 18, 2016 - 06:10 PM

Sounds like your running it to tight, also have you checked for play in the wheels? I don't know your saw but have had issues with guide wheels having play in them. Good luck!
  • hamman, boyscout862, sodisr and 1 other said thanks

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,649 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted February 18, 2016 - 06:43 PM

Sounds like you need to adjust the tracking on the upper wheel.  The youtube video below, starting about the 1:50 minute mark shows adjusting tracking.  Your saw may be different, but it should be similar.

• hamman and sodisr have said thanks

#4 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted February 18, 2016 - 06:53 PM

All of the above and make sure the " tires " on the wheels are in good shape. We had one at work that we cut patterns for sheetmetal components. It was about 50 yrs old when I went to work there. The tires went bad and we couldn't keep the blade on. I had some new ones made and readjusted the top wheel tracking and it worked fine. I guess it still works as the new owners bought all the tools when they reopen. Mine is a Ridgid and I had to adjust the tracking on it. I keep the blade as tight as I can on it. A tight blade has less wobble and deflection in it, and it cuts straighter and cleaner.   Good luck.                                                    Roger

• boyscout862 and sodisr have said thanks

#5 GWest OFFLINE  

GWest

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 130
  • 450 Thanks
  • 408 posts

Posted February 18, 2016 - 07:20 PM

ideally the tire on a bandsaw should have a slight crown in center of it. The blade will try to climb to the high point of the crown and you can't force them off it. By the same token a buildup of sawdust outside the center of the tire will act like a crown if it is thick enough and you will never keep the blade on.

Garry

• hamman, boyscout862 and sodisr have said thanks

#6 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted February 19, 2016 - 10:51 AM

Thanks for all the good input...  I think I need new tires... The ones on there now are all dry rotted and it did just fly off on one of my attempts to realign the blade....  Funny thou,, it worked just fine til the blade came off the first time..

Stupid me,,,   This all started when I tried to back out of my cut ...

Any favorite places for new tires..???   I seen  E-Replacement on one of the videos..  I need to go out and measure my wheels and go from there 

Edited by sodisr, February 19, 2016 - 10:53 AM.

• hamman said thank you

#7 GWest OFFLINE  

GWest

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 130
  • 450 Thanks
  • 408 posts

Posted February 20, 2016 - 05:06 AM

Band saws are sized by the distance from the blade to the frame which is close to the wheel diameter on a 2-wheel model. The 3-wheel models are the exception where the extra wheel increases the capacity.

A 60" saw would be a monster. Have a few free-standing models that range from 10" to 30" with the last weighing about a ton.

Garry

#8 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted February 20, 2016 - 11:31 AM

Band saws are sized by the distance from the blade to the frame which is close to the wheel diameter on a 2-wheel model. The 3-wheel models are the exception where the extra wheel increases the capacity.

A 60" saw would be a monster. Have a few free-standing models that range from 10" to 30" with the last weighing about a ton.

Garry

My blade is 60" overall,,,   Total diameter...   With 9" wheels...

Thanks   sodi.

#9 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,176 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted February 20, 2016 - 01:13 PM

My blade is 60" overall,,,   Total diameter...   With 9" wheels...

Thanks   sodi.

Could that be 60" total circumference?

• sodisr said thank you

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,464 Thanks
  • 39,695 posts

Posted February 20, 2016 - 06:18 PM

Could that be 60" total circumference?

That may be close!

• sodisr said thank you

#11 lrhredjb OFFLINE  

lrhredjb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3984
  • 280 Thanks
  • 269 posts

Posted May 27, 2016 - 04:37 PM

Don't back out of a cut with the saw running. Turn it off and then back out when the blade stops.

• sodisr said thank you