• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted February 18, 2016 - 08:41 AM

A friend of mine has these tractors for sale along the road and 3 of them got damaged.

http://www.exploreje...escapes-injury/

According to Punxsutawney-based State Police, a one-vehicle accident occurred late last night on South Main Street (State Route 436), north of Alliance Drive, in Young Township, Jefferson County.

Police say around 11:45 p.m., 19-year-old Justin S. Breen, of Doylestown, OH, was traveling too fast for conditions, northbound on Main Street Extension. He lost control of his 1999 Ford Ranger while negotiating a curve to the right in the roadway.

According to police, the vehicle exited off the west side of the road, impacted two mailboxes, impacted an embankment, and then rolled over three times before impacting a lawn mower off the west side of the roadway. The vehicle came to a final rest off the west side of the road facing east.

Breen was using a seat belt and was not injured.

He was charged with a traffic violation.

Attached Thumbnails

• 5518.jpeg
  • 5523.jpeg
  • 5528.jpeg

• KennyP, boyscout862, TomLGT195 and 2 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,522 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted February 18, 2016 - 08:46 AM

Ouch!

• Username, boyscout862 and chieffan have said thanks

#3 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,083 posts

Posted February 18, 2016 - 08:50 AM

Lucky young man.  Hope he has good insurance

• Alc, Username, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#4 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted February 18, 2016 - 08:58 AM

Lucky young man.  Hope he has good insurance

Those crazy Ohio drivers.

• chieffan said thank you

#5 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,634 Thanks
  • 3,923 posts

Posted February 18, 2016 - 09:03 AM

Looks like he just "sold" one of them to the young mans insurance company.  :(

• olcowhand, limebuzz, Alc and 2 others have said thanks

#6 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted February 18, 2016 - 09:03 AM

Good Luck with the insurance company. They will probably say the tractors should have been in a barn. Good Luck, Rick

• Alc and chieffan have said thanks

#7 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,134 posts

Posted February 18, 2016 - 09:16 AM

Good Luck with the insurance company. They will probably say the tractors should have been in a barn. Good Luck, Rick

was thinking the same hope they were not in the road right of way

#8 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted February 18, 2016 - 09:18 AM

Pretty much FUBAR

#9 case442 ONLINE  

case442

• Member No: 2504
  • 663 Thanks
  • 405 posts

Posted February 18, 2016 - 09:27 AM

That's what I'm thinking. My friend that's an insurance agent explained it to me as this. As I'm a member of a gt club I questioned my tractor at a function for the club. What if it was stollen while there will my homeowners cover it? His response was this. Let say while traveling to the event my tractor was to fall off the trailer and damage someone's property then my homeowners/ car insurance would cover that but while eating lunch the tractor gets stolen that would fall on the club if they are covered or a complete loss. Same at home if the tractor was locked in a secure structure it would be covered non secure / yard or under cover only you better get a policy to cover them because your in for a heck of a battle yo get them covered. Just my 2 cents. I hope his are covered John that's unfortunate.

Mike
  • Alc and chieffan have said thanks

#10 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted February 18, 2016 - 09:45 AM

To continue the discussion about covering these tractors, I spoke with my insurance agent just a week ago as we were switching cars.  While I had her, I asked about insuring my tractors.  I had them covered with a previous company who simply asked me to put a value on them.  Wasn't much for coverage.  This agent tells me I would have to have them appraised.  Who would you call for something like that?  It's not like they are cars where there are "experts" all over the place.  Appraising a car would be easy.  As much as we love our tractors, they are a forgotten entity in today's society.  Someone else brought this subject up some time ago and I don't have the time to dig it up.  I'm not sure what was ever decided there.  Does anyone know of anybody who could honestly appraise these tractors?

#11 case442 ONLINE  

case442

• Member No: 2504
  • 663 Thanks
  • 405 posts

Posted February 18, 2016 - 10:20 AM

Hi Jeff,
My Erie agent was a little different and went by your past agents ways give an estimated value and pay faded on that. Although he did bring up replacement value which is totally different rider on my policy. Back to your question your agent should be able to get a replacement value which they could use but in your case and the collectibles you have it may be a different story. Maybe try Haggerty which is who my camaro is covered by.

Mike

#12 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,520 Thanks
  • 3,397 posts

Posted February 18, 2016 - 10:36 AM

I talked to State Farm again recently, been with them since 1984, My tractors and equipment are covered by homeowners up to 10% of property value, same with outbuildings other than garage, which is covered at replacement cost as part of policy. As long as I'm not committing a criminal act, the tractors are covered whether on my property or not.

Edited by toppop52, February 18, 2016 - 10:37 AM.

• Alc said thank you

#13 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,167 Thanks
  • 4,512 posts

Posted February 18, 2016 - 10:38 AM

If your insurance company don't want to cover your personal property when it is not locked up, time to go shopping.  Sounds like Farmers Insurance to me.  My vehicle insurance covers my trailer and MY property that is on it.  As for on my property, covered anywhere.  My tractors are covered under the collectibles section of the policy.  No appraisal, just asked for a FMV.  They replace if necessary with " like kind and quality".  That don't mean the same brand and year though they would try.  I adjusted for them for several years.  Never had a problem 

• Alc said thank you

#14 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted February 18, 2016 - 10:43 AM

It's still ongoing with the insurance co of the driver of the Ranger but my friend was told that home owners would not cover the damage due to the fact that they were for sale.He actually has a semi low hour 345 out back that an insurance co replaced with a new X540 to the person he got it from.It had some external engine damage and  hood damage and it was bought back from the insurance co for $250.

#15 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted February 18, 2016 - 11:00 AM

If your insurance company don't want to cover your personal property when it is not locked up, time to go shopping.  Sounds like Farmers Insurance to me.  My vehicle insurance covers my trailer and MY property that is on it.  As for on my property, covered anywhere.  My tractors are covered under the collectibles section of the policy.  No appraisal, just asked for a FMV.  They replace if necessary with " like kind and quality".  That don't mean the same brand and year though they would try.  I adjusted for them for several years.  Never had a problem 

So are you saying that if your trailer is not on your property and is not hitched to your vehicle, you insurance would pay if someone hooked up and rode off with it and everything on it?  My trailer is covered by auto as long as it's hitched to the vehicle is my understanding.  I'm going to have to sit down and find out the particulars.  I'm not talking about insuring the tractors I use on the property.  They are covered as long as they are on the property and they seldom leave.  I'm talking about insurance for the ones that you just can't go out and replace.  My Pond specifically.  My problem is that it's worth more to me than it is to the insurance company because of sentimental value and you can't insure that.  What makes you sick is these druggies out there that steal anything they can get their hands on to pay for the next fix.  They get their hands on a tractor like that it would go straight to the scrap yard. :mad2: