18 replies to this topic

#16 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,165 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted February 18, 2016 - 08:27 AM

Are you trying to split seasoned wood or green wood?  I like to cut dead trees into length first. Then I can split it and  let is sit for a season before I burn it.  Burns better that way as it is dryer. 

#17 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,075 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted February 18, 2016 - 08:54 AM

Freshly cut a week ago so very green. I'am going to try today, its only - 2 c  this morning, before changing hose's and then try with the tractor to see if it's maybe pump issue's. You have to realize this old combine that I salvaged the pump from has been sitting for 20 + years. So this is a new project and I haven't had a chance to really try it out in warmer temps.

#18 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,165 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted February 18, 2016 - 10:23 AM

In my experience of burning firewood for 30+ years is if you cut green wood, block it to the lengths you intend to burn and let it dry at least a winter and summer.  Keep the rain and snow off it.  Then split it and left it sit for a few weeks before you burn it.  Green wood will be real stringy and hard to split except for the real hard woods.  If the pump was that old it very well could be the problem.  Probably got a lot of moisture in it over the years and internal rust in a hydraulic pump is not good.  Good luck with your project.

#19 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,075 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted February 18, 2016 - 06:32 PM

Split all the wood today and everything worked fine. It was melting out today so it was warmer out. So I've come to the conclusion that with a hydraulic wood splitter the green wood can't be frozen in order for it to split. It makes me thing of like when you take out a frozen loaf of bread you can't push a knife throught it untill it thaws out. Or thats how I'am looking at it anyway.

• propane1 said thank you