• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 jayvest OFFLINE  

jayvest
  • Member No: 80874
  • 8 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted February 17, 2016 - 05:36 PM

hey guys , new to the forum and a new gravely owner as well,  I have a question about the overall balance of a gravely....I have a 1966 gravely l 6.6 electric start with a sulky ......with a attachment on the front it seems to be fine and be a little front heavy as I would expect...without an attachment tho,...it wants to tilt backward (toward the handlebars) until the ball hitch hits the ground....I have to put a block of wood underneath to keep it level ....is this normal?...ive seen plenyt of pictures and video of similar gravelys  without attachments on the front seemingly at a perfect balance just sitting there idle....also when riding it with the sulky attached (no attachment) I seem to have to hold up the handlebars/lift up to get it balance rite and not fall toward me...again , is this normal to gravelys ? or is some issues with my tractor....any help would be greatly appreciated....thanks....j.vest

• 637Yeoman said thank you

#2 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,625 Thanks
  • 3,918 posts

Posted February 17, 2016 - 05:56 PM

It appears you are missing the genuine Gravely "roller rest" that makes the implement vertically ridgid to the tractor, while allowing for turning.    If you do a search for roller rest I think you'll see what you need. 

:welcometogttalk:

• boyscout862, 637Yeoman and jayvest have said thanks

#3 jayvest OFFLINE  

jayvest
  • 8 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted February 17, 2016 - 07:08 PM

thank you ! my sulky has the split hitch on it, is the roller rest used with the split hitch or in place of it ? thanks again,,,,

• 637Yeoman said thank you

#4 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted February 17, 2016 - 07:44 PM

The roller rest is used in place of the split hitch.  Would love to see some pics of what you have.

• boyscout862 and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#5 devans OFFLINE  

devans
  • Member No: 68585
  • 367 Thanks
  • 256 posts

Posted February 17, 2016 - 07:53 PM

When you find a roller rest you remove the ball from your hitch and place it in the roller rest then put the ball back on the hitch.

Just google gravely roller rest and you'll see all kinds of information and pictures. They pop up on ebay quite often.

• Alc, boyscout862 and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#6 jayvest OFFLINE  

jayvest
  • 8 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted February 17, 2016 - 08:24 PM

thanks guys...think i get the idea now for the most part.....one last question.....can the roller rest be used with a attachment on the front or would that keep it off the ground ? if you can use it with the attachment , then you would need a split hitch for anything really then ? ....will put a picture up of it tomorrow howard...she aint that pretty yet but plan on fixn her up a bit when the weather gets better ....thank you.....!

#7 jayvest OFFLINE  

jayvest
  • 8 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted February 17, 2016 - 08:33 PM

2014-07-07 19.24.12 (2).jpg 2014-07-07 19.24.12 (2).jpg 2014-07-07 19.24.12 (2).jpg

• Gtractor, Alc and boyscout862 have said thanks

#8 jayvest OFFLINE  

jayvest
  • 8 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted February 17, 2016 - 08:38 PM

best I cold do with the pics ...not that computer savvy : )

#9 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,625 Thanks
  • 3,918 posts

Posted February 17, 2016 - 09:13 PM

Pictures look great!

I think you only use the roller rest when nothing is on the front [except the block-off plate] and the split hitch when there is a front implement.   Never got a roller rest with any of my Gravelys  :(

• Alc, boyscout862 and jayvest have said thanks

#10 devans OFFLINE  

devans
  • Member No: 68585
  • 367 Thanks
  • 256 posts

Posted February 18, 2016 - 12:18 AM

Pictures look great!

I think you only use the roller rest when nothing is on the front [except the block-off plate] and the split hitch when there is a front implement.   Never got a roller rest with any of my Gravelys  :(

This is a true statement. As a matter of fact, if there is an attachment up front say a 30" mowing deck and your yard isn't exactly level you can and probably will beach yourself with a roller rest. You lose the flex you would have without the roller rest.

Your tractor looks pretty good compared to how mine looked when I got them. I too didn't get a roller rest with mine but I managed to find them at swap meets.

• Gtractor, Alc, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#11 jayvest OFFLINE  

jayvest
  • 8 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted February 18, 2016 - 05:40 AM

thanks for all the help guys .....

#12 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted February 18, 2016 - 09:26 AM

:welcometogttalk:

#13 PaulL OFFLINE  

PaulL
  • Member No: 49081
  • 111 Thanks
  • 68 posts

Posted February 19, 2016 - 03:15 AM

When I hook up a sulky with the roller rest (and no attachment on the front other than the blank plate), I put the roller rest on the ball in the hitch and then slide the sulky onto the back end of the roller rest and pin it.  I don't remove the ball from the hitch.

• jayvest said thank you

#14 Arcam8123 OFFLINE  

Arcam8123

• Member No: 134
  • 5 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted February 22, 2016 - 12:22 AM

This will give you a general idea of how the roller rest hooks up.

http://gravelyyard.com/attachments.htm

Without an attachment on the front, it will take 36 pounds of effort to hold up your Super Convertible.  So tilting back is normal.  Some Gravely two wheelers have bar on the back hitch that will hold them up without an attachment.  That might be what you've seen.

• jayvest said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gravely l 6.6