Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Not sure I'd take my tractor to this guy.

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted February 17, 2016 - 08:49 PM

I undercoated my 2500HD several months ago and used a 55 gal drum under the rear end for a jack stand.

#17 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman

The Simplicity collector

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 77049
  • 465 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted February 17, 2016 - 08:53 PM

Its the almighty milkcrate

#18 pharmer OFFLINE  

pharmer

• Member No: 4250
  • 686 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted February 17, 2016 - 09:45 PM

Maybe he's a retired milk man who thinks he is a mechanic

#19 Gtractor OFFLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,626 Thanks
  • 3,918 posts

Posted February 17, 2016 - 10:31 PM

If a couple of Coke bottles will hold up a full size tractor surely milk crates can hold a gtractor.

Of course I wouldn't get under it!  :loosing_it:

Deere D.jpg

• MFDAC said thank you

#20 James Bosma OFFLINE  

James Bosma
  • Member No: 76126
  • 451 Thanks
  • 221 posts

Posted February 18, 2016 - 07:27 AM

Us old guys have a hard time bending down.    :poke:

This guy has it figured out without an outlay of major coin.  If the tractor falls on anyone, it'll be him.   I don't question the strength part - main thing would be to make sure the tractor doesn't roll off the crates.

Kind of looks the right height to unload/load into a pickup when dropped off or picked up at his place.  ???? 

Although it'd need rails between the front crates and back crates to roll across. 

The 1 x 2's he uses for rails between the crates are leaning against the wall out of the picture

• Gtractor said thank you

#21 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,497 Thanks
  • 4,949 posts

Posted February 18, 2016 - 07:35 AM

It'll be alright. .......

P1010012_edited.jpg

#22 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted February 18, 2016 - 08:00 AM

Plz tell me you did not go under the car!

I was doing body work. This was 35 years ago and I don't think I got under the car. It was a handy way to have the car higher. I used a floor jack to put the 1600 pound car onto the crates. It was only one crate high. I do remember using them as jack stands under my 65 Nova. Remember, things were usually better built in the 50s and 60s. They started to go down hill in the 70s when the steel codes were loosened. Good Luck, Rick

#23 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted February 18, 2016 - 12:22 PM

NO one till last couple posts had said HOW one gets the tractor lifted up in first place to put under the crates! Jack each end up for first one maybe, but how does one do the next and keep it all on when at an angle cause you can only lift one end at time???  I have a work table lift now, but could use my engine hoist some if not too big of tractor, but at some point the lift needs to be removed and re-situated would think.  How's one keep in place during that move? 

Looks like he has a chain going to the ceiling holding up the back end, probably part of a hoist.  Set the back on crates, keep the chain hooked so it don't roll off, and pick up the front with another hoist or big floor jack, go back and forth as high as you want.  I use one of these on a hook coming off a beam in the rafters, had a snapper hanging in the air by the front end but the whole roof was shaking with each click

1510_69062_p1.jpg

• Bmerf said thank you

#24 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,034 Thanks
  • 1,127 posts

Posted February 18, 2016 - 07:44 PM

The left front milkcrate setup doesn't look unstable, but I don't like the little square plastic one on the left rear. Those old all-steel crates are extremely tough. I have been using these two for 35 years as step stools and even low scaffolding! When I was lettering racecars and commercial vehicles on location I would load these up with the needed materials then on the project I could stand on them in 3 different heights depending on which side I would lay them on. Sometimes I would throw a plank across them both and work from the plank. Besides my brushes, they were probably the most used equipment I had!

DAC

Attached Thumbnails

• Steel milk crates.jpg

• olcowhand, limebuzz and MH81 have said thanks

#25 MGP59DB OFFLINE  

MGP59DB
  • Member No: 66960
  • 1,040 Thanks
  • 525 posts

Posted February 21, 2016 - 07:32 AM

He probably chained it to the garage door and has an 'Automatic lift'

#26 yardiron OFFLINE  

yardiron

• Member No: 2796
  • 23 Thanks
  • 78 posts

Posted February 21, 2016 - 07:59 AM

The milk crate idea looks better than what I've seen my neighbor do. When he needs to change blades on his Cub Cadet he gets out the big tractor and a piece of rope. I've watched him working under that thing hanging by its steering wheel every summer now since he bought it. I keep waiting for the steering wheel or steering shaft to rip loose and let the tractor fall. I've seen him hang the thing like that for days, he'll lift it up, pull the blades and drop them off to be sharpened and let the thing hang there till he gets the blades back.

I've warned him several times but he won't listen, sooner or later its going to end badly, I see it coming.

• MFDAC said thank you

#27 dustnrust OFFLINE  

dustnrust
  • Member No: 30690
  • 9 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted February 22, 2016 - 08:58 AM

I've got a buddy that uses two drums and two planks to get under his GT.
He first puts down two ramps and drives the tractor up into the bed of his truck, he then takes the ramps and puts one end of each atop a barrel, he then rolls the tractor out on the planks with only the front wheels still on the tailgate and the back wheels on the planks.
He dumped it once, the last remaining tailgate strap broke and the thing fell forward, rolled towards the truck, then topped the barrels and ended up on its side half atop one barrel. It somehow missed him. Since that time he props up the tailgate with a pair of milk crates.

He's the same guy who spent four hours trying to get his garden hose out of his deck after he ran over he whole roll of hose, also the same guy who has twice backed out of his garage in his car and failed to open the door first. He's the same guy who installed a dishwasher and never installed a drain pipe, he let it dump into the basement, letting the sump pump deal with the waste water. The sump pump clogged up with garbage and the basement flooded. He cut down a tree last summer and made his attached garage a detached garage when the 70' tall oak tree fell the wrong way, taking out his breezeway, pickup, and a shed in the back yard. Its also the reason he just bought a new lawn tractor, as he tried to his Snapper rear engine rider to 'pull' the tree the other way while he was cutting it. I wasn't there but I can picture that little tractor getting tossed in the air as the tree went the other way. The mower ended up on the rear deck upside down, under a huge limb and badly mangled. He lost a deck, breezeway, part of his roof, a mower, a shed, and a chainsaw in the incident. I never did find out if or who was sitting on the mower when the tree fell the other way. 

• olcowhand, limebuzz, MFDAC and 1 other said thanks