Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Not sure I'd take my tractor to this guy.

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 827 Thanks
  • 473 posts

Posted February 17, 2016 - 03:04 PM

Saw an ad on Craigs List: "Retired mechanic servicing all tractors at a very modest price".

The picture from his ad: maintenance.jpg

Not sure I'd want him working on my tractor.

• Bolens 1000, Alc, MFDAC and 2 others have said thanks

#2 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted February 17, 2016 - 03:18 PM

Dang! He got one of those fancy lifts I keep hearing about.

• olcowhand, Alc, WNYTractorTinkerer and 2 others have said thanks

#3 tater195 OFFLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,306 Thanks
  • 933 posts

Posted February 17, 2016 - 03:41 PM

The reason the hood is not on it could be from where he dropped it a few times trying to get it on the stacked milk crates

• Alc said thank you

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,249 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted February 17, 2016 - 03:47 PM

In the foreground, you can just see part of his natural fiber handled long jaw wire cutters.
Not sure what the structural integrity of the metal vs plastic crates is, but I'm not thinking that's the best idea... Especially the mix and match on sizing.

This picture just screams to be photoshopped.

#5 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,751 Thanks
  • 7,523 posts

Posted February 17, 2016 - 04:42 PM

In the foreground, you can just see part of his natural fiber handled long jaw wire cutters.
Not sure what the structural integrity of the metal vs plastic crates is, but I'm not thinking that's the best idea... Especially the mix and match on sizing.

This picture just screams to be photoshopped.

The structural strength of the old steel milk crates was pretty good. Small cars like a Datsun B210 could sit on 4 crates easily. The steel crates lock into each other. I put a piece of 2 x 12 over the crate because the small bars will bend alittle in the middle. It did need to be on a flat concrete slab. My crates are 45 years old and very heavy. I have no problem with putting a GT on them. I don't know about any other crates. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, February 17, 2016 - 04:43 PM.

• rustyoldjunk, Gtractor and MFDAC have said thanks

#6 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,133 posts

Posted February 17, 2016 - 04:50 PM

I will have to take a picture of it. there is a guy by me that is working on a z28 thats up on 4 55 gal drums
  • Alc, wvbuzzmaster and Oldford have said thanks

#7 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,781 Thanks
  • 4,302 posts

Posted February 17, 2016 - 05:55 PM

I would have at least put the GT up on 5 or 6 stacked crates so I didn't have to bend over....Just stand under it!

• Dieselcubmike, Bill 76 and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#8 James Bosma ONLINE  

James Bosma
  • Member No: 76126
  • 450 Thanks
  • 221 posts

Posted February 17, 2016 - 05:55 PM

Long jaw wire cutters with big wooden handles must be for belt removale  always get a new belt with this guy

• MH81, Alc, Bill 76 and 1 other said thanks

#9 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,588 Thanks
  • 3,902 posts

Posted February 17, 2016 - 06:08 PM

Us old guys have a hard time bending down.    :poke:

This guy has it figured out without an outlay of major coin.  If the tractor falls on anyone, it'll be him.   I don't question the strength part - main thing would be to make sure the tractor doesn't roll off the crates.

Kind of looks the right height to unload/load into a pickup when dropped off or picked up at his place.  ???? 

Although it'd need rails between the front crates and back crates to roll across. 

• boyscout862 said thank you

#10 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,183 Thanks
  • 5,208 posts

Posted February 17, 2016 - 06:11 PM

The structural strength of the old steel milk crates was pretty good. Small cars like a Datsun B210 could sit on 4 crates easily. The steel crates lock into each other. I put a piece of 2 x 12 over the crate because the small bars will bend alittle in the middle. It did need to be on a flat concrete slab. My crates are 45 years old and very heavy. I have no problem with putting a GT on them. I don't know about any other crates. Good Luck, Rick

Plz tell me you did not go under the car!

• boyscout862 said thank you

#11 Mtypython ONLINE  

Mtypython
  • Member No: 80530
  • 255 Thanks
  • 289 posts

Posted February 17, 2016 - 06:40 PM

Must believe in pre osha operatio

#12 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,304 Thanks
  • 973 posts

Posted February 17, 2016 - 06:58 PM

I have two plastic milk crates w/ 3/8" plywood fastened on the bottom. When I need both ends raised I lift the rear w/ the lift table, set the crates upside down under the tires, set the park brake and lower the rear onto the crates. Go around and lift the front and set a piece of 2x4 the right length between the lift table and frame then lower the table on the 2x4. I used this same setup on my wheeler to do the engine top end and it is considerably heavier than a GT/LT. Yes, this old body is sitting on the floor but not laying on it!!

Mike

• MH81 and MFDAC have said thanks

#13 Bmerf ONLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted February 17, 2016 - 07:38 PM

I will have to take a picture of it. there is a guy by me that is working on a z28 thats up on 4 55 gal drums

That brings up memories. When I was a round 8-9, Dad did the same thing to a '65 Impala 2 door hard top, about 1975 time frame. The 55 gal drums held it secure. The frame was broken at the transmission cross member. My brother was out doing hole shots or reverse slams with it and it broke. Welded it up with boxed 1/8" metal plate. Family drove that car for years. Got my first ticket in that car. It was totaled around '87-88 when a jacked up 4x4 rear ended my mom. Pushed the trunk all the way to the back window. Memories...

Edited by Bmerf, February 17, 2016 - 07:39 PM.

• Gtractor and Oldford have said thanks

#14 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted February 17, 2016 - 08:16 PM

NO one till last couple posts had said HOW one gets the tractor lifted up in first place to put under the crates! Jack each end up for first one maybe, but how does one do the next and keep it all on when at an angle cause you can only lift one end at time???  I have a work table lift now, but could use my engine hoist some if not too big of tractor, but at some point the lift needs to be removed and re-situated would think.  How's one keep in place during that move? 

#15 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,141 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted February 17, 2016 - 08:19 PM

I'll stick with my work table with 6X6 legs and 2 X 6 sides and top boards.  Much solider, safer and with removable center planks bottom side is accessible.  That looks like an accident waiting to happen, but only once!