IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted April 29, 2011 - 07:19 PM

Ok, you're timing for decals sounds about right, for his pace, and my timing too.
I'll let you know.
  • Stoneman said thank you

#17 Stoneman OFFLINE  

Stoneman

Masseyholic

• Member No: 1763
  • 26 Thanks
  • 157 posts

Posted April 29, 2011 - 09:07 PM

The serial number is 1870700079, i think it's a 1974. I got the engine off and this is what i found
motor 001.jpg Obviously my briggs came in handy!
The whole cylinder is nothing but rust and crud, I haven't gotton to look at the bottom end but i'm pretty sure that it's junk as well. I also noticed that the model number on the engine says v60 which makes it a 6hp instead of an 8hp, the mounting holes on the massey looked like someone re-drilled them too.

#18 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,335 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted April 29, 2011 - 10:35 PM

Nice save, you have a great little project candidate there! Also looking forward to the updates.

#19 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted May 02, 2011 - 08:18 AM

If you "have to" replace the steering wheel stub shaft, you may find that the splines match many auto steering wheel spline patterns. Because the tractor has a hollow steering tube, and cars have a solid one... you could make a very nice repair by turning, say a 6" length of the auto shaft so that it has a tenon pin. The pin will slip into the tractor shaft with "V" beveled edges. Now just weld it in place and grind flush.

For removal, I have found that a large bearing separator under the wheel hub, with a puller bolted to that does wonders. You need to watch the shaft, it can mushroom on you and ruin it. I had made a "plug" on my lathe with a center hole that fit into the shaft and kept the puller in place. It made it pop off nice and easy.
  • Stoneman said thank you