18 replies to this topic

#1 Stoneman OFFLINE  

Stoneman

Masseyholic

• Member No: 1763
  • 26 Thanks
  • 157 posts

Posted April 28, 2011 - 08:48 PM

After i found out that massey had a RER i knew i HAD to have one and today i bought this!
phone 074.jpg

It's been abused, the tires are junk and I'm sure the deck isn't supposed to be bent like it is in the last picture, and there's even moss growing on the seat, but its complete!

I paid $20 How did i do?

I'm going to pick it up tomarow and am probably going to have some more Questions.

Thnaks for any replies, and any other info!

Attached Thumbnails

• phone 073.jpg
  • phone 077.jpg
  • phone 076.jpg
  • phone 075.jpg

#2 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted April 28, 2011 - 09:58 PM

OH MAN
That's the one I am missing.
NICE FIND!

#3 LPBolens ONLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted April 28, 2011 - 10:29 PM

Now that is just way too cool. Good luck with it.

#4 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted April 29, 2011 - 05:48 AM

That is cool, I think you might have the only one known to man! lol

#5 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted April 29, 2011 - 05:53 AM

Congrats,those are neat.I've got a buddy who has one of those.

#6 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted April 29, 2011 - 06:56 AM

Really, that looks like a very good start! It appears that all the parts are there with it and in restore-able shape. As for the tires, when you say shot, can they be tubed and saved? I really think the matching 4 tread pattern tires bring a lot to the looks of these.

The body pan is a bit rough, but making good friends with the old fiberglass mat and resin will fix that up. The motor is original from what I can see, that's a big plus too. The mower deck should be flat like the bigger tractors, so you need to bend that back.

I have NO use for one of these, but I too really want one! They would be freaking awesome if you could swap in pulleys and make them go really fast, they already look like a little formula 1 race car!

#7 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted April 29, 2011 - 07:07 AM

Nice find.
Bring her back to life.
Looking forward to updates.

#8 Stoneman OFFLINE  

Stoneman

Masseyholic

• 26 Thanks
  • 157 posts

Posted April 29, 2011 - 05:45 PM

Thamks for the replies! I've got it home and starting to take it apart and get everything working well. 3 of the tires might be able to be saved with tubes but one of the other rear is completely unusable. I would like to take the fiberglass body off but i have to take the steering wheel off which is very rusty and stuck on. when i took the nut off with the impact driver it took all the threads with it. It looks like someone had already tried to take it off and wrecked it up a little. It also looks like they bent the shaft. The shaft doesn't look complicated and easily copied, fixed, or replaced. everything else seems very simple to fix/replace.

Is there any good ways of getting the steering wheel off? I seen a lot of threads with this same issue, but not a lot of successful ones.

Thanks for any help!

#9 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,568 Thanks
  • 29,820 posts

Posted April 29, 2011 - 06:24 PM

I'd say you did great for $20!

#10 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted April 29, 2011 - 06:38 PM

Is it electric start?
Are you planning on doing a complete resto?
Very soon, I'm going to be getting my friend to make up decals for mine. Interested?
Mine are mostly intact enough for him to reproduce from some good digital pics and
dimensions.

What's your ser#

#11 LPBolens ONLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted April 29, 2011 - 06:44 PM

Getting a steering wheel off requires lots of penetrating oil, patience, time, and ingenuity. Even then it is tough to do, and might not be successful.

#12 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 29, 2011 - 06:52 PM

I think getting the steering wheel off is one of the worst things to do out of any other thing to work on with these old tractors. I wish you luck with getting the wheel off. Congrats on the great find. You did terrific even if you would have paid more. You don't see the rer's too often.

#13 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted April 29, 2011 - 06:56 PM

Thamks for the replies! I've got it home and starting to take it apart and get everything working well. 3 of the tires might be able to be saved with tubes but one of the other rear is completely unusable. I would like to take the fiberglass body off but i have to take the steering wheel off which is very rusty and stuck on. when i took the nut off with the impact driver it took all the threads with it. It looks like someone had already tried to take it off and wrecked it up a little. It also looks like they bent the shaft. The shaft doesn't look complicated and easily copied, fixed, or replaced. everything else seems very simple to fix/replace.

Is there any good ways of getting the steering wheel off? I seen a lot of threads with this same issue, but not a lot of successful ones.

Thanks for any help!

Well, if the steering wheel shaft threads are already buggered, and you're planning to reproduce it, then what
about cutting the shaft, and then driving the remaining shaft stub out of the wheel with a punch.

#14 Stoneman OFFLINE  

Stoneman

Masseyholic

• 26 Thanks
  • 157 posts

Posted April 29, 2011 - 07:00 PM

Is it electric start?
Are you planning on doing a complete resto?
Very soon, I'm going to be getting my friend to make up decals for mine. Interested?
Mine are mostly intact enough for him to reproduce from some good digital pics and
dimensions.

What's your ser#

Yes, it is electric start, the engine is stuck, tonight i'm going to disasemble it and hopefully its rebuildable. If not i have an 8hp briggs that should fit. My plan is to do a full resto by the end of the summer and i would be very interested in decals once i get some funds! I will get my serial number posted later tonight.

Thanks!

Getting a steering wheel off requires lots of penetrating oil, patience, time, and ingenuity. Even then it is tough to do, and might not be successful.

That's kinda what i was thinking. even if i do get it off i was probably going to buy a new steering wheel anyways.
Thanks!

#15 Stoneman OFFLINE  

Stoneman

Masseyholic

• 26 Thanks
  • 157 posts

Posted April 29, 2011 - 07:03 PM

Well, if the steering wheel shaft threads are already buggered, and you're planning to reproduce it, then what
about cutting the shaft, and then driving the remaining shaft stub out of the wheel with a punch.

That's kinda what i was thinking. I'll keep trying and if i can't get it off that's what i will do

Thanks!