• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,134 posts

Posted February 16, 2016 - 09:32 PM

yeah it is dream... I have no idea how to fly it but it would be awesome to have. I would just sit in it and make machine gun noises. I actually seen this plane a few times at airshows over the years. 2.5 mil it's yours

http://www.controlle...2-corsair-fg-1d

Attached Thumbnails

• image.png

• Alc, Traill95, boyscout862 and 3 others have said thanks

#2 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,911 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted February 16, 2016 - 09:52 PM

That is my all time favorite plane, I'M very fond of the Skyraider also.
  • Alc and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,747 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted February 16, 2016 - 10:08 PM

the old fighter planes are neat.  I had an uncle that had a two seater fighter.  Got to go up in it.  My cousin and I sat in the back seat. That was back in 1958.  Brings back a lot of memories.

• Alc, boyscout862 and HANKG have said thanks

#4 MGP59DB ONLINE  

MGP59DB
  • Member No: 66960
  • 1,040 Thanks
  • 525 posts

Posted February 16, 2016 - 10:17 PM

I just saw one of these at the Kalamazoo 'Air Zoo' less than a month ago .

img.jpg

This is my all time favorite ,

Grumman F-14 Tomcat Wallpapers (4).jpg f14_tomcat_l5.jpg

Of coarse I have stood where this picture is taken from before when I was younger , and will never forget the feeling when one fly's past you about 100 yards away at Mach 1. :say_what:

USS_Enterprise_(CVN-65).jpg

Edited by MGP59DB, February 16, 2016 - 10:19 PM.

• Alc, sacsr, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#5 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,318 Thanks
  • 984 posts

Posted February 16, 2016 - 10:24 PM

Curious what that $2.5 mil. plane cost when it rolled off the assembly line.

Mike

#6 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 1,002 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted February 17, 2016 - 12:01 AM

While in the navy I worked plenty of airshows, we always had to work on the old engines and they would drink about as much oil as gas! I got a chance to sit in the tail turret of a b25 and in the belly ball of a b17, possibly the best experience of my life. A squadron of corsair 's is about the price of one unequipped f14. They don't make aircraft like they used to, that old tail dragger will out last all the plastic fighter jets we produce today! I have always been partial to the flying boats like the pby and such landing a full size aircraft on the ocean with only the hull underneath you is an experience everyone should have at least once, it is the single most riveting feeling you can imagine. You can buy ww2 era aircraft in Thailand for less than a new car, and most of them were still being maintained and flown by their military just a few years ago, if not still. While working a supply desk while injured I took many a call from foreign military units trying to source parts for old planes that they are still using for recon and search and rescue. After all when we retire a plane due to service life, other nations with less stringent safety regulations buy them for very little if not any money and they squeeze another twenty to thirty years out of them.
  • Alc, boyscout862, LilysDad and 1 other said thanks

#7 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,879 Thanks
  • 3,202 posts

Posted February 17, 2016 - 01:52 AM

One of the greatest things we did when our boys were young was to take them to the Moose Jaw Air Show in southern Saskatchewan. I know just what you mean when you mention them flying past at about 100 yards away at mach 1. When I was young I'd have loved to be a pilot---- to go sky diving is on my bucket list.

• Alc, HANKG and MGP59DB have said thanks

#8 Lmiller3358 ONLINE  

Lmiller3358

• Member No: 5109
  • 1,334 Thanks
  • 1,322 posts

Posted February 17, 2016 - 05:42 AM

Corsair has always been  my favorite, right up there with the Mustang !

• Alc, boyscout862 and HANKG have said thanks

#9 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted February 17, 2016 - 06:16 AM

Don't want to brag , but I did have a Corsair once , long time ago , wasn't a good pilot though , crashed it so hard even the rubber bands holding the wings on didn't save it . Here's one just like it

sears-wishbook-1969-cox-corsair-boat-buggy.jpg

• MH81, lyall, sacsr and 4 others have said thanks

#10 MGP59DB ONLINE  

MGP59DB
  • 1,040 Thanks
  • 525 posts

Posted February 17, 2016 - 06:53 AM

I flew in one of these  with my uncle , he is a pilot , and I tell you what , it is not like flying around in a commercial jet .

PC%202000%20Factory%20Flight.jpg

It was quite a different thing. And they are affordable.

Edited by MGP59DB, February 17, 2016 - 06:55 AM.

• Alc and boyscout862 have said thanks

#11 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,911 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted February 17, 2016 - 08:12 AM

I flew in one of these  with my uncle , he is a pilot , and I tell you what , it is not like flying around in a commercial jet .

attachicon.gifPC%202000%20Factory%20Flight.jpg

It was quite a different thing. And they are affordable.

Yea thanks, but no thanks my cousin's husband splatted in one of them.

• MGP59DB said thank you

#12 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,546 posts

Posted February 17, 2016 - 09:06 AM

I am named after my uncle who was a WWII Navy pilot. His plane was a fighter/bomber. Somewhere, I have a 60 year old Hubley Metal Model of it. Four of the Dad's in my neighborhood were pilots. Three from WWI and one from WWII. I heard alot about flying and had intended to be a pilot. My eyes are not to standard. Over the past 60 years I've known many pilots and some were Aces.

Flying in combat is like any other combat, thrilling and terrifying. The survivors got numb with time. One WWII Ace I was talking to explainned his advantages. He could see much better than anyone else. We were waiting for a P51 to visit out local airport. He spotted the incoming plane minutes before anybody else. He was in his 60s and the others were using binoculars. He said that he would see the kraut a long way off, climb high and attack with the sun at his back. As his tally grew he was able to choose his own plane and picked a P38(the forked tail devil) because 2 engines were a better chance of getting home.

A1 Sky Raiders were used in Nam early on. They could stay on station and deliver ordinance with precision but they were very vulnerable to ground fire. A friend who was on a carrier that carried them called them "Spads" in defference to the WWI French planes.

The F4U6 Corsairs were made in Bridgeport, CT. About 1/2 hour from where I grew up. It was a great plane but there were many great planes. If you are interested, PBS did a series "A Fighter Pilots' Story" about Quetin Aamenson. The scene at LSU after the war alway gets me. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, February 17, 2016 - 11:20 AM.

• lyall, sacsr, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#13 MGP59DB ONLINE  

MGP59DB
  • 1,040 Thanks
  • 525 posts

Posted February 17, 2016 - 09:49 AM

Yea thanks, but no thanks my cousin's husband splatted in one of them.

Yeah- well there is that - My uncle's instructor and his wife were killed a couple years back in one , and he was one hell of a good pilot . It was being filmed and a gust of wind twisted the chute , gravity took over.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#14 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 1,002 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted February 17, 2016 - 01:42 PM

Anything that has to look to a parachute for its lift is not airworthy in my book! Parachutes are meant to be used when your plane craps out on you, not because you forgot said plane. Those are dangerous due to turbulence, or dead air, when a plane hits a pocket of dead air it simply falls until lift can be achieved again, but when a parachute hits turbulence you get canopy collapse. Once a chute collapses if it bunches up you are now relying on a streamer much like the old model rockets we all used to fly. We all know that those blasted streamers were unreliable at best, now picture yourself looking up at that as you fall from the sky, need I say more! All of us aircraft mechanics stay on the ground where we belong, not that I don't trust my own work but if my garden tractors are any indicator the flight wouldn't last very long anyhow.

#15 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,520 Thanks
  • 3,396 posts

Posted February 17, 2016 - 04:49 PM

A friend of mine flies a B-25 at airshows, we have two of them, along with many other vintage planes at the Wings and Wheels air/car show in Georgetown DE in the fall. I love the old milk bottle (P47 Thunderbolt), big, fast and nasty!