7 replies to this topic

#1 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Member No: 77571
  • 941 Thanks
  • 766 posts

Posted February 16, 2016 - 03:29 PM

Have a good working solid state , I'm in need of a transmission for a sears gt18, any one out of an ss st or gt will fit. I will trade a solid state for it or other parts

Edited by Tecumseh power, February 16, 2016 - 04:42 PM.

#2 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,295 Thanks
  • 2,331 posts

Posted February 16, 2016 - 06:54 PM

I have the one out of my SS14 but the Diff gears need replaced.It had a couple quarts of water sitting in it for who knows how long and it rusted and pitted up the diff gears.It sounds really rough but it did work.

What's wrong with yours?

All suburban and SS14 and SS15 have Keyed hubs.SS16 and newer should all have Splined hubs.

I put a 14/6 rear in mine it had splined hubs.

#3 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

• 941 Thanks
  • 766 posts

Posted February 16, 2016 - 07:27 PM

Eric, I found one from a member on here. I took this one out of a newer gt 18 and put it in mine when I restored it. It was fine but second and third gear got really loud on it today plowing snow. By loud I mean knocking that my wife could hear in the house.

#4 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

• 941 Thanks
  • 766 posts

Posted February 16, 2016 - 07:29 PM

I'm putting a keyed hub one in it, mine are the spline but it doesn't matter to me either way. Going to get it during the tractor show this weekend. And meet a gt talk memeber. Are you going too?

#5 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 2,295 Thanks
  • 2,331 posts

Posted February 16, 2016 - 07:38 PM

Ouch that's not good.

Had my SS14 out pushing this nasty wet crap in front of the house.Full bore in 3rd gear spinning on tarmac with 170lbs of wheel weights and chains on.But she did great.

Did foul another champion spark plug though.Shut it off and went inside for a coffee and came back out.No start.Blaaaaa pull plug No spark.Take old NGK plug out of push mower and it fired up instantly.

Had a huge shushy Ice dam right in front of the driveway that I had to push out before it froze tonight.

Don't like how much speed I need to get for the snow to roll off the blade.I do have a bigger (I think it's 54") plow on my SS14.

#6 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

• 941 Thanks
  • 766 posts

Posted February 16, 2016 - 07:45 PM

I wax my blade with a big old candle the snow blows off really nice. You probably have the same sloppy mess as me I live right by ebensburg. Glad that no spark was just your plug

Edited by Tecumseh power, February 16, 2016 - 07:45 PM.

#7 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 2,295 Thanks
  • 2,331 posts

Posted February 17, 2016 - 01:40 AM

That's the 3rd plug that fouled in 4 months.1st plug fouled when the fuel pump went bad,2nd and 3rd one fouled when I ran out of gas putting around in the yard.I think I got more problems than just bad spark plugs.Thinking there's something funky with the timing.Either the points plunger is worn or flywheel key is partly sheared or someone monkeyed with the coil mount adjustment.

Starts up easy and runs out OK but doesn't seem to have the power that it should.Also it won't idle down but that's because the throttle cable is to short.It's stretched as tight as I can get it.I have new throttle and choke cables for it just waiting for a bit warmer weather so my hands don't get numb working on cold metal.

I have to get a new connecting rod and a set of rings for it soon anyway.It's got a very slight rod knock under load once it's warmed up.So I guess I better get to looking for some parts and tear into it.

#8 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

• 941 Thanks
  • 766 posts

Posted February 17, 2016 - 02:14 AM

Sounds like you got a little bit of work ahead of you there. I think it's more than the plug also. Does it have good compression? And are you sure it isn't running rich

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: for sale