11 replies to this topic

#1 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,434 Thanks
  • 947 posts

Posted February 16, 2016 - 11:47 AM

Japanese Industrial Standard

I was  unaware of JIS. Owning Toyotas for years and never learned that the "Phillips" screws were actually JIS which was why my screwdrivers always had sloppy fit.  Just learned this last night, now I could buy a set of Vessel brand screwdrivers which seem to be the only quality ones I could find however I will grind 1MM off a few old phillips screwdrivers for a better fit on my Japanese products

Not sure if I may run into JIS on offshore carbs etc for GT's

http://www.vesseltoo...l-products.html

Edited by Jazz, February 16, 2016 - 11:50 AM.

• jhn9840, Alc, Bruce Dorsi and 5 others have said thanks

#2 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,479 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted February 16, 2016 - 12:27 PM

I just learned last week there are metric screwdrivers. Our company electrical engineer was repairing one of my lab mixers and it came up, he says he has to have a set of both so he doesn't strip the metric ones......who knew!

• Alc, Bill 76 and chieffan have said thanks

#3 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted February 16, 2016 - 01:07 PM

Suppose its old news now but I remember when I first learned about Pozi-drive vs regular Phillips. Seems like the tool salesmen must be  working in cahoots with the engineers ? I had an uncle that left GM because at the time they had assigned him to design items so that the average guy couldn't service them. He decided to take an early retirement and went to work on smaller projects till he finally retired for good.This was back in the 70's and we all have seen that obviously other people were willing to design what he refused to do :wallbanging:  Then the electronic controls came along and really messed with the backyard guys. Guess that's why I like Gt's, simple like me :D

• KennyP, HANKG and Bill 76 have said thanks

#4 MiCarl OFFLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 825 Thanks
  • 472 posts

Posted February 16, 2016 - 01:28 PM

Japanese motorcycles are full of them.  When I hired a mechanic from a local Motorcycle service program he'd never heard of JIS, he checked with the faculty and it was news to them too.  I see damaged JIS screws all day long in the shop. 

You can identify JIS by a small dimple on the head.F5KIE3CFQSWZZ4L.MEDIUM.jpg

My understanding is Phillips was designed to limit torque and causes the driver to lift out of the socket under high torque.  The good news is you can turn a Phillips screw with a JIS driver.

Impact screwdrivers seem to be JIS.  I've got a set of JIS I bought from McMaster-Carr.  As Jazz pointed out, grinding the tip of a Phillips driver flat is supposed to make it work well with JIS screws.

Edited by MiCarl, February 16, 2016 - 01:32 PM.

• Alc, Bruce Dorsi, HDWildBill and 3 others have said thanks

#5 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • 1,434 Thanks
  • 947 posts

Posted February 16, 2016 - 01:28 PM

And Japanese pipe thread is different..wonder how many people have ruined a piece or required extra goop on what appears to be 1/8" pipe thread however Japanese adds ONE thread.

http://mdmetric.com/tech/thddat7.htm

Edited by Jazz, February 16, 2016 - 01:28 PM.

• ducky, Alc, Bruce Dorsi and 1 other said thanks

#6 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,134 Thanks
  • 4,486 posts

Posted February 16, 2016 - 02:40 PM

Many years ago i was at my mothers when a service man came to install an automatic ice maker in her fridge.  We was visiting and he mentioned that you had to look close at the "+" head screws as he called them to see if they were metric or standard.  I thought he was pulling my leg till he showed me.  Learned later that Honda training schools don't use the term phillips or straight. They refer to them as + and - screws.  We get to soon old and to late smart.

• Alc, KennyP and Bill 76 have said thanks

#7 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • 1,434 Thanks
  • 947 posts

Posted February 16, 2016 - 03:15 PM

I like to learn something everyday. Getting overloaded but I will grind some tips when I get home. System overload.,,,checking out a big honkin' lighthouse lens that was used at Halifax Harbour until 1967,,
Dioptric lens. I'm in Halifax so another day before I can grind screwdriver tips

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg

Edited by Jazz, February 16, 2016 - 05:43 PM.

• Bill 76 said thank you

#8 Bill 76 OFFLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,639 Thanks
  • 1,054 posts

Posted February 16, 2016 - 04:25 PM

this is just great -first I had every size screw driver ever made then had to buy the infamous pozi drive --then along come the Torx , buy more then the tamper proof Torx - buy more-Now some JIS --buy more--lets not forget the TRI Y that are in some electronic stuff -buy more--almost forget about the clutch drive--Yep had to buy more.

Used to have one drawer for screw drivers and life was good -- I guess I will have to buy another tool chest just for screws drivers--just great. 

Almost forgot I have some obsolete screws drivers that have two little prongs on the end don't know their called but I never used one , some of my Dads old stuff.

But hold on folks  there's more 

Also had to buy a special screw driver for adjusting carburetors on early 1980s GM cars --haven't touched that one in decades either  

• jhn9840, Alc, HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#9 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,777 Thanks
  • 4,302 posts

Posted February 16, 2016 - 06:57 PM

Almost forgot I have some obsolete screws drivers that have two little prongs on the end don't know their called but I never used one , some of my Dads old stuff.

Is there a prong on each of 2 sides?

These prongs hold the screw head while you start the screw....

51aJD1P%2BryL._SY355_.jpg

•  
  •  
  • Sorry, this item is not available in
  • Image not available
  • To view this video download Flash Player 
Click to open expanded view

• Alc and Jazz have said thanks

#10 jhn9840 OFFLINE  

jhn9840

• Member No: 10
  • 126 Thanks
  • 184 posts

Posted February 16, 2016 - 07:50 PM

Never heard of these before today. There is a thread on a tool forum I belong to about JIS drivers. eBay has an 11 piece Vesseltool set for $120. Might be time to dig out the wallet.

jhn9840
John

#11 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted February 16, 2016 - 08:12 PM

this is just great -first I had every size screw driver ever made then had to buy the infamous pozi drive --then along come the Torx , buy more then the tamper proof Torx - buy more-Now some JIS --buy more--lets not forget the TRI Y that are in some electronic stuff -buy more--almost forget about the clutch drive--Yep had to buy more.

Used to have one drawer for screw drivers and life was good -- I guess I will have to buy another tool chest just for screws drivers--just great. 

But hold on folks  there's more 

Also had to buy a special screw driver for adjusting carburetors on early 1980s GM cars --haven't touched that one in decades either  

I'm with you, seems like screwdrivers everywhere and never the "correct" one at hand.  Decades? I still have two trucks that use that special purchase KD tool for adjusting the carbs. The part of that deal that frosted my backside (more than buying the tool) was that you had to drill the brand new carb bases to get to the screws to find out you couldn't adjust them once they were mounted back on the vehicle. Several vehicles in our family got performance manifolds and nice simple Holly carbs at that point and they STILL passed the government required infernal sniffer before getting tags.

• Bill 76 said thank you

#12 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • 1,434 Thanks
  • 947 posts

Posted February 16, 2016 - 08:34 PM

Is there a prong on each of 2 sides?

These prongs hold the screw head while you start the screw....

51aJD1P%2BryL._SY355_.jpg

•  
  •  
  • Sorry, this item is not available in
  • Image not available
  • To view this video download Flash Player 
Click to open expanded view

I recall using the screwdrivers with the prongs on them when doing electrical installations with my father. They were a high quality tool