Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted February 16, 2016 - 09:17 AM

I know most of you have completed all of your winter projects and have moved on to dreaming of spring. Let's just say I am a little behind.

I picked this 32" blower up about a year ago and have never mounted it. It is actually for a Sears Custom tractor; which shares the same architecture as the ST/10. Should be a fairly easy install.

First thing was to remove the snow plow. A few bolts and the machine is naked:

IMG_1902.JPG

Sizing it up:

IMG_1936.JPG

Well that went well and within about twenty minutes, the blower was attached to the machine. Including the shoot adjuster and rear support rods. This should make it work faster:

IMG_1962.JPG IMG_1965.JPG

Then came the fun part; removing the original pulley. Even though I believe this machine has spent almost its entire life inside, Forty+ years have tried to permanently weld the pulley to the crank. Used the medium size puller (couldn't find the large one, its around here somewhere)

IMG_1942.JPG

It didn't fight the whole way; you know a 1/8 turn and smack with a hammer; sometimes I could turn the puller a 1/4 turn. LOL. Long story short, about 2 hours later, the arms are tired, and the pulley is laying on the floor.

IMG_1955.JPG

Picture of the crank and the penetration of oil/ATF mixture. Not to bad; minimal rust and the mixture penetrated almost the entire surface.

IMG_1944.JPG

Cleaned up the shaft and added the snow blower pulley; with anti-seize:

IMG_2008.JPG

Looked at the spark plug. It's been awhile since this has been changed:

IMG_1949.JPG

More to come. The fun has just begun.

• MH81 and Traill95 have said thanks

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted February 16, 2016 - 09:26 AM

Really sweet that you got the pulley with!
Do you have snow to play with?
  • Bmerf said thank you

#3 Bmerf OFFLINE  

Bmerf

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted February 16, 2016 - 10:01 AM

Next up a pulley cover. I have tried for ~1 year to find one. Even ran an ad here: http://gardentractor...r-pulley-cover/

No luck, time to try out some new skills.

Wbakunis was kind enough to supply the dimensions.

Needed to locate some metal:

IMG_1898.JPG IMG_1900.JPG

First a plan:

IMG_2009.JPG

Time to cut:

IMG_2014.JPG

Will this work?

IMG_2020.JPG

Homemade shop round dolly:

IMG_2033.JPG

A little help from a rubber mallet and this may actually work.

IMG_2022.JPG

Next was the plate that mounts to the tractor. This will never work:

IMG_2051.JPG IMG_2055.JPG

A little more dolly work and:

IMG_2058.JPG

Mocked up:

IMG_2060.JPG IMG_2064.JPG

Both sides all welded up and installed; not quite factory but should serve the purpose:

IMG_2079.JPG IMG_2080.JPG IMG_2085.JPG

That brings us up to date. Still needs a lot of grinding. Also fabricate the belt retainer and belt engagement rod holder. Will need some body filler at paint time. I have never done anything like this before. It has been a rewarding challenge. I love to fabricate, (not very good or fast at it, but I love it.) Spent about 8 hours to get to this point. 3 hours fabricating and 5+ hours thinking about the next step. I may even finish this in time to actually use it this year.

Thanks for looking,

Brian

Edited by Bmerf, February 16, 2016 - 10:19 AM.

• Jazz said thank you

#4 Bmerf OFFLINE  

Bmerf

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted February 16, 2016 - 10:15 AM

Really sweet that you got the pulley with!
Do you have snow to play with?

Unfortunately I didn't. Actually found and bought it off E-Bay a year before I found the blower. I guess I was thinking ahead knowing there would be the opportunity to find a blower later.

We have a couple of inches on the ground, but want to finish up the belt guard and have the blower complete before I use it; just to check for any problems. Paint will come later.

No play time today. Maybe tomorrow. Momma says I've been spending too much time in the dog house (barn) with the girls (tractors).

• MH81 said thank you

#5 Bmerf OFFLINE  

Bmerf

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted February 17, 2016 - 07:11 PM

Got a little more done today on the pulley cover. Made and installed the belt retainer. Still lots of grinding to be completed.

IMG_2116.JPG

Took the ST/10 out for a test drive. The results were less than dismal. Very disappointed. To be honest, I can't blame it all on the Sears. The Ford with the Haban blower didn't do much better. Several things were working against me. The weather was beautiful for the middle of February. Sun was out, the snow was melting, 33*. Wet heavy snow. Not ideal snow blowing weather. Shoot kept clogging. The new belt was way to loose; I didn't think the Kevlar belts stretched? The impellers inside the blower housing seem to have excessive clearance. About 1/2" between the housing and the impeller.

IMG_2115.JPG

Has anyone tried adding a rubber extension to the impeller? I watched a YouTube video and it seems to make a world of difference. Will try this if another new belt doesn't help.

Thanks For looking.

Brian

Oh yeah, the failure shot:

IMG_2095.JPG

One of the Ford's effort:

IMG_2098.JPG

#6 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,169 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted February 17, 2016 - 07:36 PM

Nice job on making the shields - they look great.

My experience with a snow caster is that you have to feed the snow into them very quickly to get them to blow the snow very far.  If the snow is wet, which at 33 degrees it probably was, they will plug very easily and often.  A nice smooth painted surface (waxed if possible) does help some to keep the snow from sticking.  I have heard of people spraying the inside of the chute with pam or Fluid Film which is supposed to help. 

• Bmerf said thank you