60 replies to this topic

#16 Rock farmer ONLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted February 18, 2016 - 04:12 AM

In my opinion, the good 1250 with a loader should be worth $2500 maybe as much as $3500.
More than that and most people would buy a newer bigger tractor.
It may bring less than that as some people may not want a Wisconsin powered tractor.
Local market is what dictates the price. However, if you cleaned it up nice and took
A bunch of good photo's, showing that it is in much better than average condition,
You may be able to sell it to a collector that would pay to have it shipped.
A video showing it running and operating would only help sell it.

Joe

#17 sledgehammer OFFLINE  

sledgehammer
  • Member No: 80817
  • 25 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted February 18, 2016 - 07:44 AM

...........................some people may not want a Wisconsin powered tractor.................
....................................................................................

Joe

Is there a problem with it having a Wisconsin motor?

I was more thinking the Wisconsin motor was a plus in that those motors had great reputations.

Running wise, there's no doubt these will all need some sort of attention, carburetors, fuel tanks, and lines will need attention, filters and fluids will need changing, and rubber parts will also be of some concern. The one I started ran fine, but again, the tank is full of crap. Luckily the carb doesn't seem affected, but I'd go through it anyhow. Keep in mind that nothing has moved in at least 40 years.

The loaders appear to be made by Johnson, and they appear to be model 12's. Removing a loader from any one of these would mean you would have to find an uncut fender pan as the footrest areas on these have been cut out to make room for the rear loader support brace and a heavier foot rest.

I like the set up, but it made the loaders a much more integral part of the machine. Removal would be a major task vs. others I've seen online.

We decided to keep the 520 Case for now, if it gets sold it'll be later down the road. I have an immediate use for the back hoe here right now so its staying.
If I can work a deal, I'd like to keep at least one of the 1250's but if they're worth that much, they will be out of my price range and giving less for them wouldn't be fair to the owner.

I talked to the owner a bit yesterday and I think he's thinking around $1750 each of 1250's with the loaders, $500 for the third 1250 with the loader removed, and then sell off any implements I don't care to keep. This is selling them as they sit, I don't intend to spend time on any of them if they're being sold. I just don't have time to get into making them 100% just to sell them. I'd rather let them go for a fair price and let the new owner do what's needed.

Personally I hate to let the second 1250 with loader go but I don't have room for two here and selling that one pays for the one I intend to keep .

I've got another buddy dropping off two 53' trailers over there on Friday, hopefully if the weather cooperates I can get all of it loaded into the trailers over the weekend. I already had the 520CK hauled out of there, the guy who trailered it for me is going to get it running for me in exchange for using it to fix his driveway.

When he and I are done with it, it'll get sold and the profits split with the owner, unless he decides he'd like to keep it around. What the owner suggested is to sell one of the Bolens and the MF 130 with him keeping those proceeds and I'll keep the rest for my self.

I have an offer of $3,000 for the MF130, and I have an offer of $1100 on the one already removed loader. I also have a guy that wants one of the two gang Brinly discs for $350. I'll probably let those go this weekend so I don't have to move or store them. The third loader don't have any mounts or pump, its just the loader with its controls attached.

As long as I intend to keep one of the Bolens 1250's, I'll keep the boxes of spare parts, they won't bring enough to bother with and why sell something I may end up having to search for down the road.

That leaves one 1250 that don't have a loader that's missing some parts, its got no hitch, no loader, and a tattered seat but looks otherwise complete. Its wiring around the dash is all apart for some reason but the motor spins with compression and the starter/generator is still there. It looks like they were messing with the ignition switch and voltage regulator or wiring. Condition wise, if the one pictured here is a 7, the other one is a 4 or 5 condition wise.

The one thing they all have going for them is that they were stored indoors all these years, not everyone has a barn or garage that size to just park tractors in.

From what I've seen of these Bolens tractors, they look like a pretty robust little garden tractor, but I'm not sure they're heavy enough for what I need here. I more need something to move dirt and to dig, thus the old backhoe. Something in between the 520 case and the Bolens would be more like what I need but the price was right so far. The guy who towed the 520 has an interest in buying it too but that's not been decided yet. I like the 520 but its too big and would need a big truck to tow it. I can't just haul that around on a car trailer behind my F150.

• LPBolens and blackjackjakexxix have said thanks

#18 Rock farmer ONLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted February 18, 2016 - 09:43 AM

"Is there a problem with it having a Wisconsin motor?
I was more thinking the Wisconsin motor was a plus in that those motors had great reputations."

No, I wouldn't say there's a problem.
It just that many non- collectors may not have heard of them.
They haven't put one in a new tractor in forty years.
To a knowlagable guy, it may well be a plus.

Joe

#19 sledgehammer OFFLINE  

sledgehammer
  • 25 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted February 18, 2016 - 12:14 PM

MTD 995, MTD 995, MTD 995!!!! That looks like an absolitely mint specimem! Can you get more pictures???

The two MTDs are a Lawnflite 12hp, and a Ranch King 18hp with a rear discharge deck. The MTDs run but need batteries and new front tires. The tires are rotted completely through.

#20 Diesel1050 ONLINE  

Diesel1050

Diesel Nut!

• Member No: 69580
  • 343 Thanks
  • 393 posts

Posted February 18, 2016 - 12:14 PM

Darn! They looked like 900's! Bummer....

#21 sledgehammer OFFLINE  

sledgehammer
  • 25 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted February 18, 2016 - 12:26 PM

Any idea what a Bolens Tiller is worth for a large frame?

It has a long driveshaft and the tines are in like new condition.

I also just noticed that the extra set of turf tires are 12" rims not 15, but they have brand new Armstrong turf tires. There's a spare set of front wheels as well, plus a set of Firestone 15" ag tires and a set of Titan loader lug tires/rims in 15" as well.

I found a spare hood, front axle, steering column, S12D engine, and another unknown cultivator/disc combo.

One of the neighbors near where the tractors are located now made me an offer of $500 for on of the 3pt Brinly two row discs.

#22 LPBolens ONLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted February 18, 2016 - 12:46 PM

Tiller is probably worth a couple hundred.

#23 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,349 Thanks
  • 1,758 posts

Posted February 18, 2016 - 03:43 PM

Have to agree with LPBolens,I wouldn't sell it any cheaper,spring is coming,it should sell easy
  • LPBolens said thank you

#24 AA Hayes ONLINE  

AA Hayes
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 67383
  • 324 Thanks
  • 274 posts

Posted February 18, 2016 - 06:30 PM

I paid $300 for a tiller for my HT20 in good shape. Up here that was a good find for the price as they are hard to come by in my neck of the woods.

$1100 for a loader in these parts is a steal. They got for $1500 beat up and above $2000 in great shape, which I think is a bit steep.

Edited by AA Hayes, February 18, 2016 - 06:33 PM.

• LPBolens and blackjackjakexxix have said thanks

#25 freeisforme OFFLINE  

freeisforme
  • Member No: 28233
  • 14 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted February 19, 2016 - 03:18 AM

I think the area you are in affects the price the most. I've seen some pretty good prices on garden tractor stuff in other areas but around here the stuff goes for big money.

I bought a badly neglected 1050 with a round back tiller on it at auction in DE about four years ago, it looked as if it had sat outdoors for 20 years. I ran it through the car wash, sold the tractor with the tiller the way it sat in three days for $1275 to the first guy who showed up. He only wanted the tiller but said he was going to flip the tractor to pay for the tiller.

I had a 1455 here with a tiller and snow blower that I found on CL, I gave $500 for the tractor, blower, and tiller. I kept the tiller for the 1250 I had then, and sold the 1455 not running for $850 and got $250 for the snow blower. 

I've seen tillers go for a lot more at auctions, but only when they're separate. There was a newer large frame tiller that sold for $900 last spring at a consignment sale, the tiller looked like it had never been used but it was missing all the hardware and driveshaft.

I watched a completely rusty Kwik Way loader with no hydraulics sell for $1200 at another sale, the thing was salvageable but it looked like it had sat outdoors at the seashore for 20 years.

If those were mine, I'd be looking to get closer to $2,000 to $2,200 for the 1250 with the loader, they don't come up for sale that often and most aren't in even close to that condition.

Personally, the fact that they aren't turn key or ready to use from sitting don't concern me much, when I'm looking at an old machine, finding one that's been sitting that long is far better than finding one that's been getting worked and abused every day of its life all through the years. Getting an old motor back up and running isn't a big deal. Just so the thing doesn't have a rod hanging out the side or just so its not seized up.

I'd also rather be the one to do the reviving when it comes to an old motor, I've seen some real hacks do some pretty suspect work on things.

I picked up a rather minty looking S12D a few years back that a guy took out of a barn find 1250, the tractor looked like new, but when he put a battery in it, the thing wouldn't start, he automatically went into re-power mode. He found a used later model Kohler from a cement mixer and he and a buddy proceeded to fit the 12 hp Kohler into the Bolens, Since they had no flywheel side adapter, they cut all the PTO linkage out of the way with a torch, the motor shaft was too long so they moved the motor forward, thus no longer being able to use the OEM fuel tank or battery mount. They rigged up a homemade driveshaft, put the battery on a board that stuck out the side of the hood, and rigged up a 3 gallon boat fuel tank on the hood. I was glad they unbolted the the motor and didn't ruin that as well. I got the motor for $15, cleaned the carb, cleaned the points, and its been running fine now for 5 years in a log splitter I built. 

I've looked at a lot of older tractors over the years where people who either didn't want to spend the money to do it right or didn't know any better really tore up some nice old equipment making some really shady repairs. I can't count how many old machines I've gone to look at in which the owner used half a can of ether to fire the thing up. I looked at a later model Allis Chalmers 916 a few years ago, the first thing I noticed was that there was a 12" piece of broom stick u bolted to the side of the dash tower with a huge alligator clip attached to the broom stick. 

After the owner showed me how it all worked I realized it was his way of fixing a broken ignition switch.

The guy had cut the spark plug wire, then using wire nuts added a length of 12 gauge lamp cord and a huge alligator clip that ran from the middle of the plug wire up to the wooden pole next to the steering wheel. He had another wire held on the bottom of the pole with a hose clamp connected to ground. To start the tractor, you removed the alligator clip and slid it up the pole away from the grounded hose clamp, to shut it down, you put on a rubber glove, (which he kept over the top of the wooden pole, and clipped the alligator clip onto the pole where the hose clamp was.

I ended up buying the thing a month later after he got no takers and sold it for a lot less than he was asking in the beginning, it was raining when I backed it off the trailer and soon found out that his jury rigged shut down method wasn't meant to be used when wet. All you needed to do was get within an inch of the wood pole when it was wet and you got lit up.

All of this was to avoid buying a new ignition switch???

• LPBolens, Bruce Dorsi, blackjackjakexxix and 3 others have said thanks

#26 BolensChrisUK OFFLINE  

BolensChrisUK
  • Member No: 77828
  • 287 Thanks
  • 151 posts

Posted February 19, 2016 - 03:14 PM

I would love a large frame tiller but its just getting it to the UK :(

Only Dave I know has one :thumbs:

#27 sledgehammer OFFLINE  

sledgehammer
  • 25 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted February 20, 2016 - 07:19 AM

I'll be heading over to where they're kept in a bit, I've got a couple of local guys who seem pretty interested in these stopping by this morning so if nothing else maybe I'll get a better idea of what these are worth.

The weather should be good all day so I should be able to pull these out, get some pics and get them all loaded up. I was over there last night for a bit and boxed up most of the loose items. For the most part the smaller items are misc. parts for all sorts of garden equipment. There's a half dozen smaller Briggs & Stratton engines, a few Tecumseh motors, and I found one more S12D under a bench. I've also got my eye on a couple of the steel work benches in there too.

The third Bolens doesn't have spark, and that one's motor is an S14D, its also the one with the wiring all torn apart. Its somewhere between being repaired and being marked off as a parts machine. Its complete but will need the ignition and wiring straightened out. I also found a couple more pairs of the larger wheel weights which appear to only fit the 15" wheels.

I sold the one set of 12" turf tires and rims yesterday, a neighbor apparently thinks they'll fit his tractor. Either way, I thought $250 for the pair was a fair price. I don't think the were ever used.

Was there any particular reason why these have two different size back wheels? Was it an option? I've got  26-12x12 rear wheels and tires and 850x7.50-15 wheels and tires here for these. They all have 15" wheels on them now but I've got tires and chains to outfit either one with either size here. I think I like the 15" wheels better but I suppose the wider 12" wheels would be easier on the ground if I were cutting grass. However, I don't have any mower decks here so they weren't cutting grass. As far as I can tell these were only used for working in the dirt, I've only got garden implements and front end loaders here. The tiller is the only PTO driven implement.

How much will a 1250 pull? The one plow looks like a 15" share. Its fits the hitch on the Bolens so it does belong with these, but the rest of the plows are smaller, the smallest is maybe 10", the others are 12". All are marked either Brinly or Bolens. I think the largest one is marked Bolens and has a huge steel roller/wheel behind the plow share.

• blackjackjakexxix said thank you

#28 LPBolens ONLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted February 20, 2016 - 08:13 AM

Both wheel sizes were available. The early Large Frames with the Wisconsin engines seem to have been sold more commonly with the 15" rims. The later Large Frames with the Kohler K-series twins seem to have been sold more commonly with the 12", wider rims, probably for the reason you suggest. I always thought they used the taller, narrower 15" rims and the narrow front tires to make them look more like farm tractors, but that's just me.
  • blackjackjakexxix said thank you

#29 1967bolens collector OFFLINE  

1967bolens collector

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1920
  • 648 Thanks
  • 1,437 posts

Posted February 20, 2016 - 09:30 AM

I swear about 3 years ago I went an looked at that tractor in Vineland but don't sound like the same place but looks just like the tractor he wanted 4k or something crazy had a couple attachments another tractor but I offered him what I thought it was worth let's say we disagreed

#30 freeisforme OFFLINE  

freeisforme
  • Member No: 28233
  • 14 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted February 20, 2016 - 11:05 AM

It looked familiar to me as well but I've looked at over a dozen in the past 10 years here that look identical to that one.

Someone here had to be rigging 1250's with Johnson 12 loaders that way back in the day. I looked at four of them in Hammonton about a year ago, each looked just like the one here. The guy had bought them all new to use around his tree farm. He wanted $2100 a piece for those, I passed but they all sold pretty fast. The only attachments he had were the loaders and weight boxes.
Each of those had the same type of custom mounts the OP here described. They cut the foot rests off the fender pan and raised the mounting location of the loader and incorporated a much heavier, wider foot rest. When I first saw one of these I wasn't too thrilled with the cut fender pan and welded on mounts but after I thought about it a bit, it really made the loader an integral part of the frame and probably a lot stronger than just bolting the loader to an  bolt on brace underneath.

The Johnson 12 is a good match for an older large frame, the more common Johnson 14 is a bit heavier and a better match for the newer HT models.

I've lived in NJ my whole life and don't recall ever seeing a Bolens dealer around here but it seems that almost every time one turns up its either a 1250 with a model 12 loader or an older tube frame model.