• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 sledgehammer OFFLINE  

sledgehammer
  • Member No: 80817
  • 25 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted February 16, 2016 - 01:25 AM

About a month ago I got a call from a buddy I grew up with here in town, he moved to the west coast right after school.

He asked me to go check on what was his grandfather's farm, they planned to sell the place and he wanted to know what was still in the building and if I could handle selling it all for him. Apparently his grandmother moved into a home and they are looking to unload the farm. His grandfather died over 40 years ago.
I took a ride over there after he mailed me a set of keys, what I found was a 6 car garage full of tractors, along with a good amount of tools. The house was empty except for the basement which again was full of tools and tractor parts.

There's two larger tractors, one an old Case 520 and the other a 70's Massey Ferguson 130.

In smaller tractors the one that stands out is a rather clean looking Bolens 1250, plus two more Bolens that look the same but I don't see any numbers. The one is missing some parts.

There's a huge pile of attachments, several Bolens and Brinly dirt plows, two snow plows, a rear rototiller, two Brinly 3pt discs, a cultivator rake, a homemade york rake, two small trailers made from old 30 something pickup beds, and two front end loaders.

There is also an older Gilson S14, two newer but huge MTDs, and several sets of tires for the Bolens machines, plus some extra hitch parts, a weight box, a rear box grader, and two buckets. Each of the two complete machines have both ag and turf tires and two sets of wheel weights each. There is also a complete new set of 12" rims and turf tires as well.

When I went over there I was expecting a bunch of old junk, but I like the look of the Bolens.

Keep in mind that I doubt if anything has run in at least 40 years, but its a clean, dry building. All engines turn by hand, someone did remove all the batteries, and most have empty fuel tanks.

The problem is I have no clue as to what this stuff is worth. I snapped a pic of the Bolens, the second machine is identical in every way, its just parked back in a dark corner. The Bolens in the pic was the only one up near the door where I could get a decent pic of it. The rest of the pics came out dark, I have to go back during full daylight with some spot lights to really get a better look.

They all belong to a buddy from school, so I'm not looking to steal them but I'm also not looking to pay eBay type prices.

He wants me to log and document everything to got to a consignment sale May. From what I've read online about consignment sales, he'd be giving them all away.

I tried to get a ballpark figure from him as to what he figures its all worth, or at least what he valued one of the Bolens 1250's at but he said to just make an offer.

I don't suppose it would take much more than a carb cleaning and some fresh gas and a battery to get any of the machines running. I also don't suppose these have much use at all since no one has touched them since he died in 1975. The newest machine is an almost new looking MTD Lawnflight from a local hardware store that closed up in 1981. I don't put much value on that one but it is clean and probably runs fine. None have mower decks, they didn't have grass to cut, the Bolens was probably used to service the barn, the one loader has a huge hay spike on the bucket.

I was also told tonight that I somehow missed a tractor, he swears up and down his grandfather had a diesel lawn tractor, he thinks its in one of the sheds outback, which I didn't get back to yet. He seems to think its a Bolens too but wasn't sure. If its in one of the wooden sheds, it can't be much bigger than a Bolens, but once the weather clears a bit I'll go back and dig some more. All in all there's a few trailer loads of farm stuff, but my only interest is the tractors.

The building has to be empty by June 15th of this year.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1250 Frt.JPG

• Gtractor, MH81, LPBolens and 11 others have said thanks

#2 Rainier ONLINE  

Rainier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 53758
  • 375 Thanks
  • 391 posts

Posted February 16, 2016 - 03:29 AM

Nice find. Keep us posted!

#3 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted February 16, 2016 - 05:02 AM

yep more pics please.

Pete

#4 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,167 Thanks
  • 2,142 posts

Posted February 16, 2016 - 08:01 AM

About a month ago I got a call from a buddy I grew up with here in town, he moved to the west coast right after school.

He asked me to go check on what was his grandfather's farm, they planned to sell the place and he wanted to know what was still in the building and if I could handle selling it all for him.

The problem is I have no clue as to what this stuff is worth.

The building has to be empty by June 15th of this year.

Wow!   ...Good Luck !!  ....Your buddy is asking a lot from you !!

I did a farm clean-up after my uncle died.   ...It is very time consuming.

Which part of NJ ?

#5 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,349 Thanks
  • 1,758 posts

Posted February 16, 2016 - 08:23 AM

Thanks for sharing the pic,can't wait to see more,the tractor looks pretty clean for one of that age

Edited by blackjackjakexxix, February 16, 2016 - 01:34 PM.

#6 1967bolens collector OFFLINE  

1967bolens collector

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1920
  • 648 Thanks
  • 1,437 posts

Posted February 16, 2016 - 09:00 AM

that pretty cool, probably right in my back yard

#7 Austen ONLINE  

Austen
  • Member No: 33768
  • 854 Thanks
  • 567 posts

Posted February 16, 2016 - 09:49 AM

Great stuff! Looking forward to hearing and seeing more.

#8 freeisforme OFFLINE  

freeisforme
  • Member No: 28233
  • 14 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted February 16, 2016 - 01:24 PM

Price wise, I missed a non running/sitting for a long time 1250 with a rear tiller a couple of years ago for $1200, it was listed on CL for less than a day when it sold. I had called the seller but he said I was the fifth person to call, apparently the first to call bought it.

I've missed a few others for a lot less, but they don't last long. There was one about four years ago with a loader like that but no attachments that was listed on CL for $1500, I saw it listed while at work, it was sold by the time I got done work that day.

There must have been someone in this area putting Johnson model 12 loaders on 1250 Bolens tractors back then, I've seen about a dozen now all set up the exact same way. I looked at one some years ago, they cut the floor pan to allow for a super duty rear loader mount, all of the loaders were painted red. My thought was that they must have either all been from the same owner or there must have been a shop intalling loaders back then in this area. I was going to buy one that was part of a huge lot in Vineland but they guy sold the whole lot before I got there. All I was able to buy was the loader, which I put on a Jacobsen I had at the time.

• blackjackjakexxix said thank you

#9 Austen ONLINE  

Austen
  • Member No: 33768
  • 854 Thanks
  • 567 posts

Posted February 16, 2016 - 02:36 PM

There was one about four years ago with a loader like that but no attachments that was listed on CL for $1500, I saw it listed while at work, it was sold by the time I got done work that day.

A Bolens with a loader is a very desirable setup. They typically don't last very long when they're on the market and in a lot of cases the seller will get a small fortune out of them.

Edited by Austen, February 16, 2016 - 02:36 PM.

#10 Diesel1050 ONLINE  

Diesel1050

Diesel Nut!

• Member No: 69580
  • 343 Thanks
  • 393 posts

Posted February 16, 2016 - 02:47 PM

MTD 995, MTD 995, MTD 995!!!! That looks like an absolitely mint specimem! Can you get more pictures???

Edited by Diesel1050, February 16, 2016 - 05:15 PM.

#11 BolensChrisUK OFFLINE  

BolensChrisUK
  • Member No: 77828
  • 287 Thanks
  • 151 posts

Posted February 16, 2016 - 03:02 PM

Thats a lovely tractor.

Never seen or heard of a 1250 in the UK. But you never know what will turn up next

Good luck with your purchase :thumbs:

#12 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,798 Thanks
  • 2,197 posts

Posted February 16, 2016 - 04:06 PM

:welcometogttalk:  & keep us posted. Pics of everything you can get a good shot of. I'm sure the guys here would be interested in some of if not most of it.

Thanks, Tom

#13 AA Hayes ONLINE  

AA Hayes
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 67383
  • 324 Thanks
  • 274 posts

Posted February 16, 2016 - 05:38 PM

Very cool find! I hope all the machines, attachments and parts go to loving homes and get put into good use! Can't wait to see more!

#14 sledgehammer OFFLINE  

sledgehammer
  • Member No: 80817
  • 25 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted February 17, 2016 - 11:23 AM

If I have it my way, I'd like to keep the Bolens, or at least one of them with a set of implements. I did some more digging and found a third loader, and milk crates full of parts from another Bolens. It looks like someone broke one down for parts at some point. The Bolens pictured is one of two identical machines, they only differ in that the rear wheels are reversed on the other machine.

Last night I took a small fuel tank with some gas and by passed the original tank and hose. I jump started the thing off my truck and it started after some cranking and seems to run fine. The fuel tanks on all three are pretty nasty looking. They all have brown scaly deposits in the bottom, the one tank has about an inch of something solidified in the bottom.

I did find several spare, used fuel tanks and a few boxes of new parts. There's a few extra plow shares, a few boxes of replacement discs, two cases of air filters,

To be fair to the owner, I'm looking to put a value on the two better 1250s, the parts as far as I'm concerned should go with the tractors.
The two larger tractors are easier to sell, there are several auctions in the area that can take them on consignment. I already have an offer on the Case 520.

I've arranged to have a pair of trailers dropped on site so I can at least empty the building as soon as possible, its more work but it'll let me sort through everything rather than just dumping it to make room.

The owners main concern is completing the sale of the property, the sooner I can make that possible, the better.

Also, I'll be in a better position dealing with the lot overall once they are in my possession, on my property.

The deal I was offered is that we will split whatever they all sell for 50/50. So I need to have an honest value of what a 1250 is worth by itself with a front end loader.

I'll take a few more pics once we get them all out of the building this weekend, weather permitting.

#15 LPBolens ONLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted February 17, 2016 - 01:10 PM

Price obviously varies by location and the ready availability of similar tractors in that area. That said, IMHO a running 1250 in decent condition without any attachments ought to bring at least $800 or more. I have bought 1250's for less, but they were not running, driving tractors. A loader for the same tractor can easily bring $1000-1500 by itself.
  • blackjackjakexxix, TomLGT195 and AA Hayes have said thanks