Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Picked up an old Gibson Model D yesterday.

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted February 15, 2016 - 09:01 PM

I didn't get the rest of the plow, but it looks simple to make from the pics that I've seen. At some point I will fabricate one if I can't find an original. He did give me the rear lift assembly, but the lift lever is bent and I will need to straighten it before I can bolt it on. He did install one new brake band and gave me the other new one to replace the other one when it wears out. These brake bands are HUGE! The small one in the pic is a 4" brake band for an Economy Power King.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20160214_205410-1.jpg

• Alc and propane1 have said thanks

#17 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,123 Thanks
  • 3,208 posts

Posted February 15, 2016 - 09:23 PM

Neat tractor. One of those here on pei. Not sure if it's exactly the same thou, very very rare to see a Gibson around here.

Noel
  • classic said thank you

#18 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted February 15, 2016 - 10:11 PM

I saw one at a local tractor show, Noel. I was at the show milling lumber with my Uncle and saw it on a trailer. My Uncle told me the man's name and I heard of him before. I went over and introduced myself and we spoke for a while. I don't see them come up for sale often around here either, but they are around. This one that I bought was actually for sale months ago, but it was too expensive. I just noticed it listed again for much cheaper than before, so I decided to go and get it. I don't know much about them, but I've been reading what I can find online. There is some good info out there on these tractors. The engine on mine is a Wisconsin AEH and the serial dates it to 1948. I don't know for sure if the engine is original to the tractor, though. I read that these Gibsons came with the AEH and some came with the AHH.
  • propane1 said thank you

#19 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman

The Simplicity collector

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 77049
  • 465 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted February 15, 2016 - 10:21 PM

Im jealous. Always wanted a gibson and that one is SWEET!

• classic said thank you

#20 Tbrooks ONLINE  

Tbrooks
  • Member No: 61764
  • 405 Thanks
  • 292 posts

Posted February 15, 2016 - 10:22 PM

I didn't get the rest of the plow, but it looks simple to make from the pics that I've seen. At some point I will fabricate one if I can't find an original. He did give me the rear lift assembly, but the lift lever is bent and I will need to straighten it before I can bolt it on. He did install one new brake band and gave me the other new one to replace the other one when it wears out. These brake bands are HUGE! The small one in the pic is a 4" brake band for an Economy Power King.

the brake bands are a typical thing that needs replaced on gibson's. You will need to remove the rear end and split it to get to them. It's not hard work, just time consuming.
  • classic said thank you

#21 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted February 15, 2016 - 10:31 PM

Thanks Tbrooks. I did come across a post somewhere explaining the procedure and it doesn't look too bad, but as you said, time consuming. I need to really change out the fluids and change out some seals and gaskets. That transmission input shaft leaks pretty good.

#22 oldiron1 OFFLINE  

oldiron1
  • Member No: 43924
  • 292 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted February 24, 2016 - 10:59 PM

Congrats on your acquisition! Gibsons are fun tractors.
  • classic said thank you

#23 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted February 24, 2016 - 11:20 PM

Thanks oldiron1, I really like this tractor. I'm sure that I'll use it often after it gets a good going over. I'll have to pick up a set of IH cub wheel weights, since it needs more traction when backing up, uphill.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20160223_122554.jpg

• propane1 said thank you

#24 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted February 24, 2016 - 11:30 PM

I did figure out what the numbers are that were hand stamped into the generator tag. It turned out that the number is the size belt that is used to run the generator.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20160223_124301.jpg
  • 20160223_124301-1.jpg

• Alc and propane1 have said thanks