9 replies to this topic

#1 Tecumseh power ONLINE  

Tecumseh power

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Member No: 77571
  • 941 Thanks
  • 766 posts

Posted February 15, 2016 - 02:31 PM

Awhile back I stopped at a house when I saw the gt 18 I just restored sitting in the yard under a tarp. When I went to the door the older lady said the aren't selling anything so as I was leaving she yelled out that she needed help. Her husband was in a wheel chair and he was in the bathroom and he could not get up, and she wasn't strong enough to pick him up herself. We got to talking and he said for helping him I could have it and a sears ltv 11 I could have too. I didn't want to just take it so I gave him 100 for both. I few weeks later I found out that he passed away, I stopped in today to say hi and I saw two more gt18 tractors behind the house an old bolens with the cast iron grille and a wheel horse. The were all in pretty nice shape I asked about him but she said they belong to her son now and he isn't selling them because he is going to do something with them some day. I know the son a little bit, I just never knew that was his mom and dad's house. Or his parents. I know those tractors are going to rot away and it's a shame I wish I would have saw them back there when I picked up that gt18.
  • olcowhand, Gtractor, MH81 and 9 others have said thanks

#2 jms180 ONLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 912 Thanks
  • 1,204 posts

Posted February 15, 2016 - 03:11 PM

it is sad to just let them rot away. Wish you could save them.

• Tecumseh power said thank you

#3 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,471 Thanks
  • 1,133 posts

Posted February 15, 2016 - 03:12 PM

it's a simple answer.
1. you can't save every tractor out there. I think most of us have tried but you can't. some you just have to let go. I know of a few that are rotting away and will probably rot forever yeah it sucks but that's life that's the owners wishes gotta respect it

2. offer the lady your phone number and leave it at that. don't hound her maybe she will call on the future if she does its a bonus for you

Edited by jabelman, February 15, 2016 - 03:12 PM.

• grnspot110, Alc, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#4 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted February 15, 2016 - 03:26 PM

I have a few of those things I have saved that now rot in my yard. It isn't that I wanted that to happen, but finding good homes for this old stuff is tough. I was frequenting a scrap yard and I can tell you that I got some gems out of there. The Scrap Massey 12 Hydro went to Alan and won Ugly Tractor of the Month one year. Then a rough pair of Bolens tube frames got parted out to save other Bolens tractors. I saved a Gravely walk behind with steel wheels for myself. Then grabbed a pair of Gravely rider wheel weights for myself. I actually saved those the last day the yard was open for the last couple years. I let the tractor go though, as the transmission and engine castings were broken. I even saved a 1990 Craftsman GT6000 that I parted out later.

However, on the flip side, several tractors have gotten away or continue to sit to the side rusting. It's not that I don't want to save them, but I just can't, the price would be too high.

However, the scrap yard reopened this year and Dad bought a 1944 International TD-9 dozer that was scraped. Let's just say the yard master parked it off to the side after they used it for 6 hours leveling gravel. The guy that scraped it... Drove it off the trailer...
  • Alc, Cvans, jpackard56 and 2 others have said thanks

#5 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,391 Thanks
  • 1,526 posts

Posted February 15, 2016 - 03:57 PM

I know the feeling, there's a guy near me that just parked everything when he quit farming, won't sell stuff, and thinks it's worth a fortune, has at least 2 buildings full of stuff (don't know if anything is in the old dairy barn which is in sad shape), whole place will probably end up being a huge estate sale(very few of these places around here go to the scrap yard, more money at auction and plenty of buyers), at this point it's just a matter of time.

• boyscout862, Oldford and Tecumseh power have said thanks

#6 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,468 Thanks
  • 5,004 posts

Posted February 15, 2016 - 06:55 PM

I know those tractors are going to rot away and it's a shame

For me this is a tough feeling to deal with. Was complaining to a guy once about old cars rotting away for no good reason. He put it in a pretty good light and said " everyone of those that rots away makes yours that much more valuable". So when I see something that is going to waste away I try and remember what he said. 

• jpackard56 and Tecumseh power have said thanks

#7 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,179 Thanks
  • 5,205 posts

Posted February 15, 2016 - 07:23 PM

Sounds like she has a Bolens Ride A Matic. 

• HANKG and Tecumseh power have said thanks

#8 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,863 Thanks
  • 2,786 posts

Posted February 15, 2016 - 08:56 PM

Exactly what I was thinking
  • Tecumseh power said thank you

#9 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,476 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted February 16, 2016 - 08:57 AM

I have to ashamedly admit I did that with my first car, 1972 Cutlass S. No money during college to fix it up. I did wapped in a 455, but ran out of money to finish it, then unemployed for a bit after college and then marriage. Sat so long the rear window almost rusted out of it, I sold it for parts. Sure wished I had that one back and did things differently.

• jpackard56 said thank you

#10 jpswift1 OFFLINE  

jpswift1
  • Member No: 69996
  • 358 Thanks
  • 343 posts

Posted February 28, 2016 - 09:50 PM

I have a Sears GT/18 and the same body style LTV/11 that you could add to your collection for $100 for the pair if you'd like.