• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 21, 2011 - 11:30 AM

You say that when you put it in gear the RPM's dropped. When tilling I assume you were in low gear and had no problems. Could it be that there is a problem with the higher gears you use when mowing or in the drivetrain somewhere. How does the governor linkage look. They get worn over time and can get gummed up. I'd have a close look at it to make sure it is operating freely and the spring and levers etc are all OK.

#17 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted May 23, 2011 - 10:11 AM

Just a side note, you would be surprised at how much power it takes to run a mower deck.

Is it dying when just engaging the mower deck when you are no where near the grass or is it dying when you engage the mower deck and put it in gear and have the deck down in the grass?

#18 jcallan OFFLINE  

jcallan

• Member No: 2873
  • 0 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted May 31, 2011 - 01:59 PM

Well it is fixed. I think new rings and gaskets may be something to look at but it all lead back to a faulty ignition switch. It was not charging the battery and would start to stall on the weekend. The second time it went to stall on me I gave the key a quick turn and it would come back to life. I figure that there must have been a short in the switch where the lead comes in from the voltage regulator or the positive from the battery. I bought a new switch and it worked flawlessly and now charges the battery.

Has any one else had or heard of this happening?

#19 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted May 31, 2011 - 02:04 PM

Well it is fixed. I think new rings and gaskets may be something to look at but it all lead back to a faulty ignition switch. It was not charging the battery and would start to stall on the weekend. The second time it went to stall on me I gave the key a quick turn and it would come back to life. I figure that there must have been a short in the switch where the lead comes in from the voltage regulator or the positive from the battery. I bought a new switch and it worked flawlessly and now charges the battery.

Has any one else had or heard of this happening?

Wow, that is different. Never had that happen. Usually if a switch is bad it is either all go or no go. Maybe drop in voltage going to the coil?

#20 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 03, 2011 - 10:52 AM

Thats a good one. The older JD ignition switches have multiple contacts so one of them may have been bad while other circuits were still working. Good troubleshooting skills on solving your problem!

#21 tm140 OFFLINE  

tm140

• Member No: 2418
  • 1 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted June 11, 2011 - 09:03 AM

My 110 has also been dying under load, it seems to be either the coil or points/condenser.

#22 broken2 OFFLINE  

broken2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 85
  • 279 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted June 11, 2011 - 11:40 AM

A lot of good info mentioned in this post. A couple other things that can make a big difference on engine performance are condition of points, ignition timing and valve clearance. On the 110/200 JD the timing is fairly easy to check/set, it's determined by the point gap. Slow timing will make it doggy and run hot. If the engine has a lot of hours on it the valve clearance may be to close causing the valves to not seat completely when the engine warms up, again a pretty easy check/adjustment on the 110/200. There are Kohler manuals in the manual section on this site. I do these checks/adjustments as a regular part of tune-ups and have been amazed at the difference it can make, even on what was perceived as a "good running engine". Engine performance problems can be a real pain in the ass when dealing with them but once you solve them it feels great and you learn a lot.

#23 micalo OFFLINE  

micalo

• Member No: 6869
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted October 12, 2011 - 06:06 PM

I have a 1975 JD200 garden tractor with the Kohler 181 engine. Engine starts and runs flawlessly. I have the 39" mower on it and as soon as I engage the PTO to cut the lawn it loses quite a bit of power to the point where it can stall going up slight inclines and through tall grass. Disengage the PTO and everything goes back to normal. Could the bearings on the mower or the belt have anything to do with this or could it be some other mechanical problem that I am missing?

My kohler in my craftsman 22hp was doing the same thing.try checking the float on the carb . mine was an electric actuator at the bottom of the bowl.pinch off gas line, unplug wire and unscrew it.be ready for the gas to pour out. a few taps on the bench and then it was working again. hold the body of it on the negative post and touch the wire to the positive post of the battery. make sure all gas is wiped dry from it first.you should hear or see the plunger moving, if not give it a few more wacks on the bench to free it up. if it still doesn't work, the coil in it may be bad.and get a new one. hope this helps