#1 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,073 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted March 19, 2010 - 11:07 AM

:confuse:I built a couple of one bottom ploughs and wonder whats the best way to set them up to work properly.The first one was built from scratch.I made the moldboard from 1/8" plate that I held up against a old breaking plough and beat on it with a hammer untill I got the profile of it that I liked.I made the shear out of a old leaf spring[the straithest part]I drilled holes in it with a cobalt drill bit and riveted it to the moldboard with sickle mower rivets.It was made to fit on the MF 10 but after selling it I made it 3pth to fit on the MF1655.I used a old worn out rear axle from a 1/2 ton truck and cut off the shaft,drilled one hole through it and mounted it to the plough for a rear wheel.:D
The other plough I made last summer out of a old horse [ox] plough that I picked up at a yard sale,for $5.It was missing the shear but I built one out of a old brush mower blade that I had laying around.Next made adjustable 3pth mount and it was done.The problem I have as I'am no plough expert is that they tend to want to push the tractor sideways while there being used.I know the ground was awfully dry and hard last fall so maybe thats the problem.But what I want to know is there a special way that they need to be set up or what.Any help would be greatly appreaciated.Here's some pictures of what they look like this way you can tell me what's wrong and what I need to do different.Larry:D

Attached Thumbnails

• Digital camera pi&.jpg
  • Digital camera pi&.jpg
  • Digital camera pi&.jpg
  • Digital camera pi&.jpg
  • Digital camera pi&.jpg
  • Digital camera pi&.jpg

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted March 19, 2010 - 01:04 PM

A plow should be run no deeper than about 1/2 it's plowing width, so a 10" plow should run no deeper than 5". The best way to set one up is first determine the depth you'll be plowing. If 5", then run your left tires up on 5" blocks to mimic plowing position. Then adjust the side to side tilt till the plowshare is level to the ground. Then adjust 3rd arm until the rear of the land slide is 1/4" to 1/2" from the ground. This is a basic starting point & you may find you need to adjust further to suit soil condition, or to make up for any stress flex.
I recommend adding a depth gauge wheel. Makes it much easier...no fishing for depth. Here's a quick adjust one I built for my "Twin 10's".

plow..jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• 2 bottom..jpg

Edited by olcowhand, October 18, 2010 - 12:47 PM.

#3 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted March 19, 2010 - 02:36 PM

Boy, you guys sure do some nice fabricating!

#4 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 19, 2010 - 03:40 PM

Yes, nice work.

#5 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,073 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted March 19, 2010 - 04:53 PM

Thanks for the advice Daniel,I was hoping that you'd chime in.Now I have something to go on in trying to set mine up.I see that I'll have to do a bit more fabricating on both of them,looks like I'll be copying the gauge [depth] wheel.It's still going to be at least 4 weeks before I'll get to try them out but I'am sure the depth gauge wheel will help of lots help.Wasn't really sure how to go about setting up the 3pth arms but now I have a good idea.Thanks for the advice.Larry

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted March 19, 2010 - 08:11 PM

Now I said run 3rd arm to set the landslide, but on Brinly's you use the adjustment fitting on the plow itself to set the pitch/landslide & just set the 3rd arm almost anywhere that works for you. With your hand built plows (very well done I should add), they don't have that adjustable turnbuckle, so you will use the 3rd arm to set the pitch. Thought I'd add this for those using Brinly plows.
By the way Larry, I have a copyright on that depth gauge wheel design........hmmmm, can't find the paperwork....guess you can copy it! LOL Seriously though, for you to copy my design is a compliment with all the great fabbing you've done! I can get some measurements on the depth gauge parts if you like, but I just did it from the hip.

#7 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,073 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted March 20, 2010 - 08:05 AM

By the way Larry, I have a copyright on that depth gauge wheel design........hmmmm, can't find the paperwork....guess you can copy it! LOL Seriously though, for you to copy my design is a compliment with all the great fabbing you've done! I can get some measurements on the depth gauge parts if you like, but I just did it from the hip.

I was thinking about that wheel last night and come to the realization That I may have something very close to that set up from a old rusted out beat up mower deck that had a height adjutsment for the deck with wheel and all.I'll have to see if I can make it useable somehow.It not you can be sure I'll be doing something like you did with your's.As for measurements I usually just wing stuff as well.Almost need to in order to get the best possible fit and look. [Had me worried about the copy right thing] LOL Larry.