case 444

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 L.Fure OFFLINE  

• Member No: 80764
  • 66 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted February 15, 2016 - 09:34 PM

Welcome and great find. By your profile, I see your in Wisconsin. That's Case country. You should have no problems finding anything for it. I've had a few 400's myself. They're great machines. Make note that the hydro system uses motor oil not hydraulic fluid. They also had a 3 point option along with a sleeve hitch. Whichever suits your fancy. Great find!!!

I've lived here all my life and didn't see that many Case GT's. I bought this one in Illinois. One good thing though is that Barneveld Implement isn't too far from me. They'll be a big help if/when I need any parts.  

#17 L.Fure OFFLINE  

• Member No: 80764
  • 66 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted February 15, 2016 - 09:39 PM

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new machine.  On the brake lever, there is a long spring that the latch arm goes through the middle of, one end of the spring hooks to the pedal shaft, the other end hooks to a tab inside the steering tower, if you remove the center plate you will see the tab.  That spring keeps the latch from engaging by accident and is usually found cheap on ebay.

The pto has a feeler gauge adjustment that is shown in the regular owner's manual but you probably have to unhook the radiator and a couple other things to get to it.  owner's manual also cheap on ebay.

Case is a great tractor for the lower limb disabled.  If you can get up on the fender it works as a perch and you can swing/slide right onto the tractor seat.  I think the later model tractors had slightly stiffer fenders that made this a little safer, below is a pic of my 1982 for comparison, i am disabled and love the fender position to get me up into the tractor.

A weak point on an old case the rear end has 5, 1/2" bolts that can work loose inside the gear case then shear off and jam the gears and even blow a chunk out of the case.  This is more likely on high wheelers with wheel weights b/c of all that torque on the rear diff and weaker bolts were used in the past.  There is a preventive fix for this, Ingersoll has a repair kit 5 new high strength bolts, but the rear end needs removed and opened up with the axles pulled, new seals, etc.

I am just saying this in case you find a newer machine that might fit you better, more attachments/package deal, etc, before sinking too much into yours.  I think they are pretty popular in WI, good luck

That's good to know about the transmission. Thanks for telling me about it. I'll have to put that on my list.

• Oldford said thank you

#18 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,139 Thanks
  • 4,553 posts

Posted February 15, 2016 - 09:46 PM

Thanks for the pictures. I like those big tires on the old Case.

I had one back in the 90's..  It pulled wheelies if you weren't careful with the shifter!  Nice ride after I repaired the rusted out deck plates..  A JD came along and the 444 went to a co-worker that only really needed the deck..  

Enjoy yours when the weather breaks!!

• Oldford and L.Fure have said thanks

#19 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,637 Thanks
  • 8,520 posts

Posted February 16, 2016 - 11:54 AM

Welcome to GTTalk.  Looks like you will have a good work horse once you get the few issues taken care.

• L.Fure said thank you

#20 1031d OFFLINE  

• Member No: 6821
  • 32 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted February 25, 2016 - 12:03 AM

Welcome from another cheesehead!  We have 6 CASE in the herd, a Colt 2510, 190, 195, 448, and a pair of 80's.

• L.Fure said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: case 444