19 replies to this topic

#1 L.Fure OFFLINE  

L.Fure
  • Member No: 80764
  • 66 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted February 15, 2016 - 10:26 AM

Hello,

I'm a new poster here, and a new owner of a 1978 Case 444. I retired three years ago, and needed a project to work on during the summer. I drove about 180 miles to purchase this tractor this past Saturday. It was quite an adventure getting the tractor and mower deck loaded on my 2009 Chevy Colorado. While I was setting up the ramps, and the person I bought the tractor from was removing the mower deck, the tractor ran out of gas. Neither of us had a gas jug, and the tractor was stored in a storage facility away from his home. Anyway, we loaded the deck in the front of the box, and then pushed the tractor up the ramps. I strapped the tractor in with two load straps, and it never budged the 180 miles back home. It's still on my truck, because of a snow storm that had blown through here yesterday. I have the driveway cleared, but have to take our beagle to the vet this morning for a wellness checkup, so the 444 will have to go for another ride before I can unload it. I'll take a few pictures of the tractor when I get home later this morning.   

• Gtractor, Alc, wvbuzzmaster and 15 others have said thanks

#2 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted February 15, 2016 - 10:56 AM

Welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy your stay here.  :thumbs:

• boyscout862 and L.Fure have said thanks

#3 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,879 Thanks
  • 3,202 posts

Posted February 15, 2016 - 01:02 PM

Welcome aboard.

• boyscout862 and L.Fure have said thanks

#4 L.Fure OFFLINE  

L.Fure
  • 66 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted February 15, 2016 - 02:36 PM

I got the tractor off the truck with no problem. I thought I'd have some kind of difficulty doing this, but it went pretty smooth. After I got it unstrapped and the ramps set up I put the range selector in low range to give it a little drag, and it rolled off the ramps and right into the garage. Looked right at home sitting there. I have the charger on the battery right now, and latter this afternoon I'm going to drive it over to the barn and park it until warmer weather arrives.

WIN_20160215_112155.JPG WIN_20160215_112213.JPG WIN_20160215_112355.JPG  

• KennyP, Cvans, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#5 jms180 OFFLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 927 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted February 15, 2016 - 03:18 PM

Thanks for the pictures. I like those big tires on the old Case.

• boyscout862, Oldford and L.Fure have said thanks

#6 motobreeder OFFLINE  

motobreeder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3989
  • 425 Thanks
  • 611 posts

Posted February 15, 2016 - 03:37 PM

if you have to navigate a steep ramp, I've found that using reverse up the ramp is a bit more difficult for traction, but reduces the ability for a roll-over.

Btw., welcome and a nice looking 444.

• boyscout862, oldedeeres, Oldford and 1 other said thanks

#7 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,545 posts

Posted February 15, 2016 - 03:59 PM

Welcome to GTT. We have alot of retirees here. Relax and enjoy. If you need a manual, check our Manuals Section. Good Luck, Rick

• Oldford and L.Fure have said thanks

#8 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted February 15, 2016 - 05:11 PM

Welcome to GTTalk ! Bet the Case gave you good traction lol
  • L.Fure said thank you

#9 L.Fure OFFLINE  

L.Fure
  • 66 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted February 15, 2016 - 05:52 PM

Thank you all for the warm welcome. I got the tractor to start this afternoon, and took it for a ride in the snow. It gets around pretty good with those big rear tires. There will be a lot of fiddly kind of work done to the tractor before I put it to work this summer. Fluids will be changed and a few adjustments made. I have a feeling there should be a spring to hold up the brake latch. It's a pain to have to reach down and lift the latch each time after I apply the brakes. The choke and throttle are a little funky too. The choke is hooked up backwards. The throttle is a little out of adjustment somewhere. It's either running at an idle, or wide open. The PTO clutch needs work also. The previous owner had installed a new friction disc, but could never get it to work right. Hopefully there is something out of place, or adjusted incorrectly. I also need to learn a better way to get on and off the tractor. I'm a right leg amputee, and it doesn't help getting on and off. The first thing I did learn is to put the transmission in neutral before I get off. I knocked the speed control with my knee a few times trying to climb off. I bet that's listed in the operators manual. I just need to read through it before I try running it again.

I plan on painting it the desert sunset scheme sometime in the future. I'd like it to match my 530. I'll also be looking for a few attachments this summer. It would be a shame to only use it for cutting the grass. Maybe a snowcaster, or a front blade. A plow and disc would be nice too. I'd have to find a sleeve hitch for the plow though. 

• HDWildBill, oldedeeres and Oldford have said thanks

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted February 15, 2016 - 05:59 PM

:wave: Welcome to the forum! Nice looking Case you got! Good luck with it.

• L.Fure said thank you

#11 warrior120 OFFLINE  

warrior120
  • Member No: 77709
  • 56 Thanks
  • 74 posts

Posted February 15, 2016 - 06:16 PM

Nice case, welcome lot of great advice for restoring on here
  • L.Fure said thank you

#12 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,806 Thanks
  • 2,208 posts

Posted February 15, 2016 - 06:35 PM

:welcometogttalk:

• L.Fure said thank you

#13 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted February 15, 2016 - 06:37 PM

:welcometogttalk:

• L.Fure said thank you

#14 dropped82 OFFLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9923
  • 1,401 Thanks
  • 1,230 posts

Posted February 15, 2016 - 07:50 PM

Welcome and great find. By your profile, I see your in Wisconsin. That's Case country. You should have no problems finding anything for it. I've had a few 400's myself. They're great machines. Make note that the hydro system uses motor oil not hydraulic fluid. They also had a 3 point option along with a sleeve hitch. Whichever suits your fancy. Great find!!!

Eric
  • Oldford and L.Fure have said thanks

#15 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted February 15, 2016 - 08:03 PM

I have a feeling there should be a spring to hold up the brake latch. It's a pain to have to reach down and lift the latch each time after I apply the brakes.

The PTO clutch needs work also. The previous owner had installed a new friction disc, but could never get it to work right. Hopefully there is something out of place, or adjusted incorrectly.

I also need to learn a better way to get on and off the tractor. I'm a right leg amputee, and it doesn't help getting on and off.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new machine.  On the brake lever, there is a long spring that the latch arm goes through the middle of, one end of the spring hooks to the pedal shaft, the other end hooks to a tab inside the steering tower, if you remove the center plate you will see the tab.  That spring keeps the latch from engaging by accident and is usually found cheap on ebay.

The pto has a feeler gauge adjustment that is shown in the regular owner's manual but you probably have to unhook the radiator and a couple other things to get to it.  owner's manual also cheap on ebay.

Case is a great tractor for the lower limb disabled.  If you can get up on the fender it works as a perch and you can swing/slide right onto the tractor seat.  I think the later model tractors had slightly stiffer fenders that made this a little safer, below is a pic of my 1982 for comparison, i am disabled and love the fender position to get me up into the tractor.

A weak point on an old case the rear end has 5, 1/2" bolts that can work loose inside the gear case then shear off and jam the gears and even blow a chunk out of the case.  This is more likely on high wheelers with wheel weights b/c of all that torque on the rear diff and weaker bolts were used in the past.  There is a preventive fix for this, Ingersoll has a repair kit 5 new high strength bolts, but the rear end needs removed and opened up with the axles pulled, new seals, etc.

I am just saying this in case you find a newer machine that might fit you better, more attachments/package deal, etc, before sinking too much into yours.  I think they are pretty popular in WI, good luck

DSCN2179.JPG

• Cvans and L.Fure have said thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: case 444