• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,692 Thanks
  • 28,334 posts

Posted February 14, 2016 - 07:01 PM

I have a friend who needs some help... He has a Briggs powered SS15 and is having trouble with the hood.
When he got the tractor there was no hood on it, so he took one off of a dead 12 horse Teccy powered unit.

Unfortunately, the hood doesn't want to fit.
He has moved it as far forward as he can and the hood is just over the dash, but the air cleaner still touches the headlights and he just isn't satisfied with it.

For someone who has both, are the hoods different? Is there a difference in the mounting of the grill? What gives? (This is all by word of mouth, no pics)
  • holdenboy1960 said thank you

#2 farmerall OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8266
  • 2,131 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted February 14, 2016 - 07:21 PM

There is a small spacer that goes between the grille and frame that raises the grille about an inch. I'm not sure if that's the problem but its worth checking. I couldn't tell you if the hoods are different.

• MH81 and CRFarnsworth have said thanks

#3 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,174 Thanks
  • 2,253 posts

Posted February 14, 2016 - 08:04 PM

Hoods should be the same length.I had a 68 sub 12 hood on my 72 SS14 for a couple days but it was rust pitted worse than my original hood so I put that back on.Sounds like he is missing the spacer that goes under the grill.

Even with the spacer the Air Cleaner will be very close to the headlight.Makes it hard to get it off to adjust the idle jet.

There is 1 on Ebay.

I can go out and measure how tall it is.It's about 1 inch tall like Farmerall said.

• MH81 and Alc have said thanks

#4 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

Has anybody seen my coffee ?

• Member No: 325
  • 2,353 Thanks
  • 1,210 posts

Posted February 14, 2016 - 08:07 PM

Tyler (Cratfsmanmowerfreak) is well versed on the Briggs powered models and does have both. He could answer all difference questions.

#5 holdenboy1960 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 62113
  • 1,463 Thanks
  • 809 posts

Posted February 14, 2016 - 09:15 PM

i thought that Briggs are a more bulky built engine which will interfere with the hood /grill maybe  

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,692 Thanks
  • 28,334 posts

Posted February 14, 2016 - 09:35 PM

Thanks guys, I'll let him know about the spacer
If anyone thinks of anything else, please pipe up!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,418 Thanks
  • 4,886 posts

Posted February 15, 2016 - 07:45 AM

Pretty sure the grill assembly does have a spacer, I know the Onan's did and the onan hoods I think are about 1 1/2" longer.

Not sure if the 70-72 grills are made different than any other year to accommodate.  

#8 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 718 Thanks
  • 483 posts

Posted March 04, 2016 - 09:25 AM

I have a ss12 with a tecky hh120 and was going to swap it out for one of the briggs I have but its not even close. The engine will sit so high that you will not be able to bolt the top of the engine down at the battery box , the hood won't close and you will need to drill holes in your frame. to get your pulleys aligned straight. Hope you plan to rope start it , cause that starter gen won't fit either unless you get another bracket from a suburban that came with a briggs. 

I don't have a suburban that came with a briggs so I can't tell you exactly all the differences but I am sure there are more then what I have mentioned. 

As I started to get into it I started thinking about the pulley covers and such as well so decided to  put the briggs on a shelf and get the tecky running.