• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Lost Pup OFFLINE  

Lost Pup

• Member No: 7553
  • 59 Thanks
  • 40 posts

Posted February 14, 2016 - 04:24 PM

Joined the "simplicity" club about a week ago.

Everything works , had to put the bucket in the truckbed as the 12 foot trailer was too short to hold it. I am/was a Wheel Horse guy so this is a new one. Purchased from the second owner, original labels shown. Onan Engine at full throttle sounds good , no smoke at all.

It was sold by the owners son who knew nothing at all about it .

I drove it around , jacked it up fully and dug a hole, all the rods look clean and straight. All the pistons seemed smooth.

Hoses need attention for sure but then again no rust when its covered in oil.

Paid $2500 for it.

Here are a few pics .....comments welcome

Sim-001.jpg

Sim-002.jpg

Sim-003.jpg

Sim-004.jpg

Sim-005.jpg

Sim-006.jpg

Sim-007.jpg

Sim-008.jpg

Sim-009.jpg

Sim-010.jpg

Sim-011.jpg

Sim-012.jpg

Sim-013.jpg

Sim-014.jpg

• olcowhand, sacsr, CRFarnsworth and 4 others have said thanks

#2 Lost Pup OFFLINE  

Lost Pup

• 59 Thanks
  • 40 posts

Posted February 14, 2016 - 04:26 PM

Our yard has many size tree stumps to clear. Kids have been hitting them for years while mowing keeping me busy with deck repairs.

I started with one of the smaller stumps needing attention. Cleared a nice circle, scraping all of the surface roots away from the area so grass will have a chance later. Stumped finally popped up free just fine. No problems to report.

One thing I noticed was the flip over seat was way too low. A spacer or riser block of some type is needed to raise that seat. Its a replacement Cub seat with a DIY flip over hinge to run the backhoe. I will have to research the factory seat to compare. I tried kneeling but gave up on that. I guess the PO was a bit shorter than me as the seat forward/rear adjuster was removed. Moving on to larger stumps tomorrow.

Score so far Brantly Backhoe 1 , Small Tree Stump 0.

Here are a few pics .....comments always welcome.

Sim-015.jpg

Sim-016.jpg

• olcowhand, KennyP, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#3 Lost Pup OFFLINE  

Lost Pup

• 59 Thanks
  • 40 posts

Posted February 14, 2016 - 04:26 PM

A second effort to remove another stump in the yard.

I was a bit more aggressive using the weight of the tractor to dig and scrape downward a bit more, trying clearly to curl the bucket teeth against the roots as I found them. Worked well and I moved quite a bit faster with the 4 plus 2 controls getting familiar. I have kept the throttle at lower setting on the scale between idle and 1/2. Just keep curling and crunching roots in somewhat of a circle around the stump and them you can see the whole stump loosen and wiggle a bit as you proceed.

You can see the flip-over seat and just how close it is to the ground here.

Tractor has two separate subframes, the upper for the Ark 9000 Loader and a second from the mid of the tractor to the rear for the Brantly 603 backhoe. Subframes are very stout and thick steel. Very snug and secure , no rattles or movenet when using them.  

The bucket is the 13" size as shown.  

Here are a few pics .....comments welcome

Sim-017.jpg

Sim-018.jpg

Sim-019.jpg

Sim-020.jpg

Sim-021.jpg

Sim-022.jpg

Sim-023.jpg

• sacsr, CRFarnsworth, Traill95 and 2 others have said thanks

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted February 14, 2016 - 04:46 PM

I sure think you did fine for $2500!  I had given thought to taking my towable backhoe & fitting it to the rear of my Allis 720.  I doubt I'll ever do it now though.

• Lost Pup said thank you

#5 CRFarnsworth OFFLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 3,658 Thanks
  • 1,740 posts

Posted February 14, 2016 - 04:55 PM

Nice rig.  :thumbs:     Thanks for all the pictures!    Rick

#6 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,668 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted February 14, 2016 - 05:41 PM

I'm not getting any pictures here at home off this post.  Clicking on the link doesn't work either.  Other posts have working pictures.  What's my deal?

#7 Eric ONLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 1,002 Thanks
  • 678 posts

Posted February 14, 2016 - 05:53 PM

Most hydraulic pumps are made to be run a a particular rpm usually full throttle or close to it. Just my two cents but only very high end pumps that I came across in my Navy years function well at multiple different speeds and those were on fighter jets! Operating a small hyd system at slow speeds may result in premature failure of actuators and valves due to sub par op pressures. Looks like a fun machine and a great price also. My only other suggestion would be to be careful with those stumps, roots can hold a lot of tension and release violently, so be careful. Good luck and again nice machine.
  • TomLGT195 said thank you

#8 Lost Pup OFFLINE  

Lost Pup

• 59 Thanks
  • 40 posts

Posted February 14, 2016 - 06:06 PM

I sure think you did fine for $2500!  I had given thought to taking my towable backhoe & fitting it to the rear of my Allis 720.  I doubt I'll ever do it now though.

I reviewed your posts ( Allis 620 & 720 )  on these not to common machines. I never realized how much larger then a GT tractor it was. The backhoe will remain on the tractor as a dedicated unit. More stumping and tree felling once this cold in PA lets up. 

• sacsr said thank you

#9 Lost Pup OFFLINE  

Lost Pup

• 59 Thanks
  • 40 posts

Posted February 14, 2016 - 06:08 PM

Nice rig.  :thumbs:     Thanks for all the pictures!    Rick

Lots more to post. Kids love to take the action shots. Digital Cameras have just too much capacity now.

#10 Lost Pup OFFLINE  

Lost Pup

• 59 Thanks
  • 40 posts

Posted February 14, 2016 - 06:20 PM

I'm not getting any pictures here at home off this post.  Clicking on the link doesn't work either.  Other posts have working pictures.  What's my deal?

Using both my Pc and and iPad and pics show fine. They are hosted on Photobucket.

#11 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 889 Thanks
  • 496 posts

Posted February 14, 2016 - 06:25 PM

Seems like a nice tractor for the money.

Have fun!

#12 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 889 Thanks
  • 496 posts

Posted February 14, 2016 - 06:26 PM

Just caught a better look at the seat scrolling back up.  You're sitting on the seat back?  Doesn't seem right.

Seems like it should be higher and pivot rather than tip.

Edited by MiCarl, February 14, 2016 - 06:27 PM.

#13 Lost Pup OFFLINE  

Lost Pup

• 59 Thanks
  • 40 posts

Posted February 14, 2016 - 06:31 PM

Most hydraulic pumps are made to be run a a particular rpm usually full throttle or close to it. Just my two cents but only very high end pumps that I came across in my Navy years function well at multiple different speeds and those were on fighter jets! Operating a small hyd system at slow speeds may result in premature failure of actuators and valves due to sub par op pressures. Looks like a fun machine and a great price also. My only other suggestion would be to be careful with those stumps, roots can hold a lot of tension and release violently, so be careful. Good luck and again nice machine.

These type of pumps are rated with a max rpm and operate from their min to max with no issues. I believe the operating min would be the driving " Minimum Engine RPM" for cooling on these air cooled motors. 

The OEM manuals do express (throttle control) to use less than max rpm for most implement work. I use the max throttle for say fast transport to and for the work areas and for say a very heavy lift but of course you with still top out at the relief setting regardless of the engine rpm.

Here is a clip from the Brantly info. Note: 30% throttle.

Low RPM Brantly.JPG

Attached Thumbnails

• Low RPM Brantly a.JPG

Edited by Lost Pup, February 14, 2016 - 06:48 PM.

• KennyP said thank you

#14 Lost Pup OFFLINE  

Lost Pup

• 59 Thanks
  • 40 posts

Posted February 14, 2016 - 06:32 PM

Seems like a nice tractor for the money.

Have fun!

Fun is the proper word.

Thanks

#15 Lost Pup OFFLINE  

Lost Pup

• 59 Thanks
  • 40 posts

Posted February 14, 2016 - 06:43 PM

Just caught a better look at the seat scrolling back up.  You're sitting on the seat back?  Doesn't seem right.

Seems like it should be higher and pivot rather than tip.

The PO set up the flip over seat.  Sitting on the seat and your feet can touch the ground and dangle in the danger area as the boom swings from side to side.  The foot rest are so high when sitting that you will be having a great stretch workout. Hip cramps sure to follow.

No lock on the flip up so sitting on the top of the seat and it will just flip back over.  I spent the past week finding "best of" OEM manuals and such. The OEM pivot seat is higher and must have bit the dust somewhere along its journey in life. I will grab a few screen shots of it and post later.