• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 metcalf OFFLINE  

metcalf
  • Member No: 80763
  • 2 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted February 14, 2016 - 11:59 AM

I'm in the process of gathering all the parts for a diesel puller build. My question is what is the best way to go for a motor. Yanmar or kubota? I'm not planning on getting real stupid on modifying. Well not for now.

• Chris11 and Dieselcubmike have said thanks

#2 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted February 14, 2016 - 12:08 PM

Welcome to GTTalk.  I'm not a diesel guy but we do have several member who are and they should be along before long to give you some advice.

• Chris11 said thank you

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted February 14, 2016 - 01:04 PM

It seems like there are more Kubotas out there to be had. Yanmars are less common in industrial applications except for marine use where they are used extensively. It may come down to what you can find at a price you can afford. 

• Chris11 said thank you

#4 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted February 14, 2016 - 05:41 PM

Hello there and welcome. There are many questions to be had. If you plan on ever running modifications there is no real aftermarket for any diesel performance keep that in mind. First of if you plan on pulling locally find out if your able to run a diesel and what rules your allowed. Next off grab yourself a set of the LPSD national rules. I run a Kubota simply because in my experience they are a very strong engine to begin with. However just like any other diesel if you have to rebuild it will become pricey. Theres a diesel garden tractor pulling page on facebook with a lot of helpful information.  

• Chris11 said thank you

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,561 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted February 14, 2016 - 09:02 PM

I have both Yanmar & Kubota diesels, but I lean towards Kubota.

• Chris11 said thank you

#6 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,469 Thanks
  • 5,005 posts

Posted February 15, 2016 - 12:00 AM

I have both Yanmar & Kubota diesels, but I lean towards Yanmar.  :smilewink: 

I just had to do it Daniel. 

They are both excellent engines. As far as the older ones go it has been my experience that the older Yanmar diesels are easier starting if both are in good condition. The older Kubota engines need to use glow plugs for a fast cold starts. 

This is just they way it has worked for me. 

Edited by Cvans, February 15, 2016 - 12:01 AM.

• Chris11 said thank you

#7 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,441 Thanks
  • 3,988 posts

Posted February 15, 2016 - 04:01 AM

:welcometogttalk:

• Chris11 said thank you

#8 Chris11 ONLINE  

Chris11

old Member

• Member No: 1601
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 934 posts

Posted February 15, 2016 - 07:30 PM

welcome, Everyone on here is very helpful. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Good luck with your project. 

#9 DaveBb OFFLINE  

DaveBb
  • Member No: 62819
  • 375 Thanks
  • 157 posts

Posted February 15, 2016 - 08:22 PM

Welcome..... lots of great help on here it can really save you some trial and error.  I have been using yanmar and kubota for over 30 yrs in the golf industry. The are both good engines but I like the kubota. I have seen some of them run up to 6500 hrs just a great engine. Good luck on your project..

• Chris11 said thank you

#10 metcalf OFFLINE  

metcalf
  • 2 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted May 15, 2016 - 09:00 AM

Well i finally found a kubota motor close to home. I'm committed now. Probably not get any building done this summer. But I'm on the hunt for parts that willl be needed. I probably wil get the pump and injectors started. Anyone have any recomendations for  these of who to talk to?

#11 DaveBb OFFLINE  

DaveBb
  • Member No: 62819
  • 375 Thanks
  • 157 posts

Posted May 15, 2016 - 06:00 PM

glad you found one what model is it? The pump and injectors are a very costly item I would save your money for the more important items like clutch setup or diff modifications. What tractor are you planning to put it in?

#12 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted May 15, 2016 - 07:31 PM

As dave mentioned, yes having the pump and injectors done is very costly. You will need a good clutch and a very heavy duty rear end. Need a good turbo as well. I have 2500$ In just the rear end. Youll need it for all the torque these little things make. And for a clutch you can use a 5 puck setup and go from there. I just upgraded to a double disc from Zack kerber and I love it. My best advice would be just get your feet wet and go from there. I see quite a bit of people throw money at these things and not know how they are. Theyre a caged animal ready to be let loose.

#13 metcalf OFFLINE  

metcalf
  • 2 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted May 16, 2016 - 08:52 PM

Motor is a d1105. The frame will be from a 149 I have or just go and make a new one. I might be time and labor ahead by making my own frame.  Already planned on getting the clutch from kerber along with the flywheel. My biggest hang up is getting planetary or not. That has to be decided before I can do much work.  I know longevity wise the planetary setup is probably the best option.

#14 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted May 16, 2016 - 11:12 PM

The way I see it is if you already have plenty of work done and you have a healthy drive line then maybe. From what I heard Kerber doesnt have anymore planetaries in stock. Not sure on if hes updated it or not. Theres a group on facebook under Diesel garden tractor pulling you can check out for more info.