Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,952 Thanks
  • 3,326 posts

Posted February 13, 2016 - 03:09 PM

First let me say I have no luck at all with 2-strokes. I have some serious weed eating that needs done and the Poulon Pro hasn't let me down till now. The pump bubble split so I went and picked up a kit that has the right size bubble, but not the small fuel line. Because of this I also picked up a new Murray whacker because of my first comment. I changed the bubble and it only runs on full choke. I removed the carb and looked for any adjustments, found 2 that could be, but I have nothing to turn them. I can finish the weed whacking on full choke, but if I can't get the Poulon running like it should I will need to un-box the Murray.

Any suggestions?

Attached Thumbnails

• P1150142.JPG
  • P1150143.JPG
  • P1150144.JPG
  • P1150145.JPG
  • P1150146.JPG
  • P1150147.JPG
  • P1150148.JPG
  • P1150149.JPG
  • P1150150.JPG
  • P1150151.JPG

#2 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 988 Thanks
  • 672 posts

Posted February 13, 2016 - 03:42 PM

New equipment has special carb adjusting tools that you can find on eBay. With government stepping in and regulating exhaust compliance they don't want you and I adjusting the carbs so that they run better but give off more harmful exhaust! Good luck, buy the tools and feed your need to tinker.
  • larrybl said thank you

#3 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,311 Thanks
  • 4,661 posts

Posted February 13, 2016 - 03:43 PM

It's either dirty in the jet passages or a cracked fuel line..  You can buy a new carb cheap for those and it's the easiest fix along with new lines and filter.

BUT-  Before you start with all that you need to test the compression..  A quick check of that is to grab the starter rope and see if the rope will keep the thing suspended..  If the thing drops and the rope goes all the way out you have low compression and the thing is shot..  Un-box the other one!

A visual check of the cylinder can be done by removing the muffler..  If you see scoring on either the piston or cylinder it was most likely run on straight gas and is toast..  Un-box the other one!

Just a little 2-stroke wisdom for ya..  

• larrybl and Bmerf have said thanks

#4 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,311 Thanks
  • 4,661 posts

Posted February 13, 2016 - 03:45 PM

I always pick those things up when I see them on the street and most often it's an easy fix and an easy $40 to sell it to somebody else on CL..

• larrybl said thank you

#5 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,705 Thanks
  • 8,559 posts

Posted February 13, 2016 - 04:05 PM

If you have to run it on full choke that probably means you have an air leak some where.  Since you changed out the primer bulb I would start there.  Check to make sure it is seated correctly also make sure the screws are tight.  Then make sure your fuel lines are in good shape.  When you get it together, start it and spray carb cleaner around the intake and see if the rpm changes.  Not where you are spraying and that will most likely be your leak.  I had one this summer that drove me nuts.  Brand new gaskets and o-rings from the block back and I still had the problem.  Spraying it indicated that it was leaking at the intake.  I ended up using form-a-gasket with the new gasket to seal it.

Eric is correct about the adjustment screws.  I got a full set of drivers for them for about $20.  But I don't think that is the problem.

• larrybl said thank you

#6 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,952 Thanks
  • 3,326 posts

Posted February 13, 2016 - 04:19 PM

OK, after I posted this I decided to finish weed whacking on full choke. It started on the first pull then the RPM's started picking up, so I placed the choke in the run position and it is back to running perfectly, Idles, and throttles up fine now. (air pocket?) I finished weed whacking (Almost a full hour of running) and all is good now. The Murray will go back for a refund, and I'll look for new fuel lines and change those also. Oh, the bubble kit was $10.00, so it looks like I will be saving the $130.00 Woo Hoo!

• Bolens 1000, Alc, Cvans and 3 others have said thanks

#7 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,289 Thanks
  • 28,622 posts

Posted February 13, 2016 - 04:39 PM

Check the muffler.
If they get rust in them, it'll run like that too.
  • larrybl said thank you

#8 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,952 Thanks
  • 3,326 posts

Posted February 13, 2016 - 04:54 PM

My original issue was the split bubble, and I wasn't sure I would have luck finding or replacing it so I picked up the Murray just-in-case. Not sure why I had an issue after replacing the bubble. There is no rust anywhere, I run the proper oil mixture with the gas part coming from the stabil / STP treated gas that I use on all the machines. I store the Poulan in the shop. I'll look for new fuel lines and tank filter and call this good. Thanks All! 

Attached Thumbnails

• P1150152.JPG

#9 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,151 Thanks
  • 4,498 posts

Posted February 13, 2016 - 05:00 PM

The mufflers will get full of carbon from the oil-gas mix and create to much back pressure.  Drill 3 or 4  - 1/4"  holes in the muffler and see if that takes car of it.  Next time buy a Stihl.  I bought one 15 years ago and it has been in the shop once.  Clean the carb and new fuel lines.  It gets the heck used out of it around our acreage.  Those cheaper ones just wont stand up.

• Trav1s said thank you

#10 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • Member No: 59269
  • 2,087 Thanks
  • 1,890 posts

Posted February 13, 2016 - 05:38 PM

Brand new carb is between $10 and $15 on eBay I replace them all the time

#11 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,299 Thanks
  • 2,334 posts

Posted February 13, 2016 - 07:00 PM

I usually just replace the whole Carb and fuel lines once the prime bulb goes bad.By the time the bulb goes bad,the Diaphragms are getting hard in it anyway.

Those take a Spline Detent tool to adjust them Or you can take them out with small pointed needle nose pliers and cut a slot in the top with a Dremel and adjust with a straight screwdriver.

Spline Detent tool looks like this.I got it off of ebay a few years back for $5.There $8-$10 now.It fits most weed eaters and alot of chain saws and other small 2 stroke carbs.

100_1587.JPG 100_1590.JPG

• Cvans said thank you

#12 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Member No: 77571
  • 941 Thanks
  • 767 posts

Posted February 13, 2016 - 07:07 PM

Check the two boltbolts that hold the cylinder to the case on the engine I have seen many work loose and suck air and only run on choke

#13 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,952 Thanks
  • 3,326 posts

Posted February 13, 2016 - 08:29 PM

Thanks All, It seems to be working fine now. I'll keep an eye on it.

#14 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted February 13, 2016 - 09:43 PM

Have Poulan chain saw, ran bad at times, hard start, then just quit one day. Those tiny clear fuel lines just fell apart when moving the covers off the carb and handle route. New lines and good to go. Putting the lines INTO the tank is hardest part. I melted and pointed the end to start it in, pulled thru out to cover of tank and snipped off burnt end, pulled back into tank. Same thing for filters, just put it on outside, then pull back in some. First time was going nuts trying to figure out how this TOO big line was gonna go into that hole.

• larrybl said thank you

#15 FixItCharlie OFFLINE  

FixItCharlie
  • Member No: 47950
  • 358 Thanks
  • 258 posts

Posted February 13, 2016 - 10:14 PM

I have found that red wire terminals will work for adjusting the fuel mixture screws. These terminals have red insulation & are used for 18 to 20 gauge wire.

Charlie

• EricFromPa said thank you