• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 mtoney OFFLINE  

mtoney
  • Member No: 13665
  • 557 Thanks
  • 539 posts

Posted February 13, 2016 - 09:06 AM

The dreaded G.A.S. has hit, I am going to look at a 816 with the big Onan CCKA on the back.  Engine has good compression but no spark.  Owner traded machine in on a walk behind snow blower instead of fixing it.   Comes with a snow blade and chains. Also has what my 16g lacks, the liftable hitch.   I will know more in a couple hours.   I hope to bring it home.  I have found a source for a hitch for my 16g so if we pass on the 816, i will pick one up.   I am just a bigger fan of Onan engines over the Kohler Magnum in the 16g.  Would love to keep them both, but she who must be obeyed says I have to find the money to cover the puchase price of both.  Mike

• MH81, KennyP and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,459 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted February 13, 2016 - 09:07 AM

Good luck whichever way you go!

#3 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,151 Thanks
  • 4,500 posts

Posted February 13, 2016 - 09:11 AM

Always something that mess up our good ideas, huh?

#4 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 845 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted February 13, 2016 - 09:13 AM

........t she who must be obeyed says I have to find the money to cover the puchase price of both.

That sounds familiar.

For some reason it's forbidden to re-purpose monies from the scented candle budget.

• KennyP, HANKG, adamjd200 and 2 others have said thanks

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,459 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted February 13, 2016 - 11:11 AM

That sounds familiar.

For some reason it's forbidden to re-purpose monies from the scented candle budget.

Maybe a more aggressive use of deodorant would lower the candle budget! :bigrofl:

• Cat385B, adamjd200 and devans have said thanks

#6 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted February 13, 2016 - 12:36 PM

Who's wearing the pants in family and the big bread maker?  That's what determines it here.....when Wife allows that is I mean!  Best to BUY first, S'plain later! Bring it home when she's gone or at work, hide in shop or wherever and it looks like ones you already have there.  Who am I kidding, she figures it out and seems to know when there is a new one there anyway.

#7 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,716 Thanks
  • 871 posts

Posted February 13, 2016 - 02:42 PM

I would follow grumpys idea, hide one ! I have 2 shops at home and I would put a new gt into one, than put one in the other. my wife knew I had 27 tractors, when I really  had 54, then one day I left the second shop door open and my kids saw the tractors and ratted me out to my wife, ha ha ha!!!!!

#8 mtoney OFFLINE  

mtoney
  • 557 Thanks
  • 539 posts

Posted February 13, 2016 - 05:45 PM

Didnt bring her home, yet.  He was unsure if the asking price was firm or now.  $600.  Looks worse in person than in pics, the coil looks to be original.  Tires are all shot and need replaced and the hitch was bolted solid both at the bottom and at the upper rock shaft.   I have a complete liftable hitch found for about half that price to fit my 16g.  So I may just go that route for now.   Not sure, thought about offering about half his asking price since it doesn't run, so he cannot prove the engine runs or doesnt smoke, or that the transmission/gears/clutches are good.   Mike  P.S.   she makes the big $$ in our family

• MH81 and KennyP have said thanks

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,459 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted February 13, 2016 - 06:20 PM

If it\s not running, I'd be hard pressed to go very high! Especially needing tires & ?.

#10 mtoney OFFLINE  

mtoney
  • 557 Thanks
  • 539 posts

Posted February 13, 2016 - 06:33 PM

Yep, I plan to offer $300 cash, being unrunning its hard to take a chance for anything higher.  I dont mind rebuilding the Onan, but not if I spend $600 on it.   This particular tractor has been on Craigslist for several months, so I suspect they are stuck at that price and they can keep it at that price.   Some small engine shops have a false idea what some stuff is worth.  

• MH81 and KennyP have said thanks

#11 devans OFFLINE  

devans
  • Member No: 68585
  • 367 Thanks
  • 256 posts

Posted February 15, 2016 - 01:43 PM

This has nothing to do with the original subject of the thread but the inner conversation always reminds me of something funny I heard a long time ago. I just found out there is a youtube video, enjoy. 

• KennyP and Bmerf have said thanks

#12 mtoney OFFLINE  

mtoney
  • 557 Thanks
  • 539 posts

Posted February 15, 2016 - 08:30 PM

I am just gonna pass on it for now, they want to much, it needs lot of $$ put into it and lacks the front brackets that most 816's have.  I found a rear lift set up for my 16g, so that is where my money will go.  Just on hold for a little bit, my company got bought out by another one.  

• KennyP said thank you

#13 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,501 Thanks
  • 3,386 posts

Posted February 16, 2016 - 09:35 AM

My wife always says, "Do what you think is best, I don't care. If I starve, you starve!" :D