Garden Tractor Forums banner

John Deere 425, 445, 455 diesel and gas

10K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  limebuzz 
#1 ·
Hello, I am new to this forum. I'm looking to purchase a John Deere garden tractor. I would like an older model such as those listed above. How do they compare to the older or newer models? Would appreciate some help with explanations of the differences between the 425, 445,455 models, and engine types and what I should be looking for. Would ultimately have a front blade mower deck and maybe several rear attachments. I appreciate any advice you could offer. Thanks Mark

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
Of the models you listed, engines and tire sizes are the only differences between them.

The 425 is Kawasaki powered with a carb, the 445 is a Kawi with fuel injection, and the 455 is a Yanmar diesel.

All are available with 4 wheel steering, which uses 23x10.5x12 rear tires. The 425 uses that size rears on the 2 wheel steer models, where as the 445 and 455 use 26x12x12 rears.

The 425-55 series was the first of the JD garden tractors to start using the 540 rpm rear pto. Before that they used 2000 rpm, so attachments for the rear are easier to find and off brand attachments work also. These use a Category 0 3 point hitch.

Front attachments are easiest to find for these. Snowblowers and plow blades sold new up to this last year will work on the 425-455's, with the correct quick hitch.

Things to look for, the early models had a plastic cam gear inside the Kawasaki FD620 engine. Ask if it has been replaced with the steel cam upgrade. 1993-1998 are the years affected.

But, the older units don't have the RIO, which is the switch you have to lift before you reverse with the pto on. RIO was added in '98 or '99.

Mower deck options are 48", 54", or 60". All decks use the fan-assisted powerflo bagger system.

Plows are 54" factory, quite a few aftermarket options available.

As the models were redesigned, the model #'s were changed. Here's the progression:

425 - X475 - X700 - X710

445 - X485 - X720 - X730

455 - X495 - X740 - X750

#9 ·
The 445 was not available with AWS.

I have a spec chart on these models from Deere.Will John Deere have me doing hard time if I post it?
It was optional.. You could get it if you wanted to.. So Scott was right there..

#10 ·
BTW- Welcome aboard Mark! :driving_tbucket:

I found a 'gift' 425 AWS for $100 and about $1800 later it is a great machine.. What machine you get or need is really dictated by your needs and whims.. If you want power and versatility the 455 is the beast of the bunch. I've beat mighty high grass (18") down with my 425 though.. I love that machine!

#13 ·
On the 425-55 and the x475-95 models, aws was an option. On the x700 series, aws is a different model #.

X724 or x734 - aws gas
X729 or x739 - aws, awd gas
X744 or x754 - aws diesel
X749 - aws, awd diesel

JD did not build a all wheel drive, all wheel steer diesel (x759) when the new models came out a few years ago because they would of had to put a roll bar on it, due to weight.

#14 ·
Heck, why not just by a Utility size, probly same money and bigger with Diesel too? I'm all infoed out on this posting. Guess the Green guys KNOW there stuff. Always wondered where they got all those model numbers and yet tractors not much diff. I've never looked at AWS mechanicals, and wondered how that worked.

#15 · (Edited by Moderator)
They work great if you have a lot of trees and stuff in your yard.. I mow mine in about 35 minutes.. It's almost as good as a zero turn.. But if Mark wants to use a loader I'd recommend against AWS. The center of gravity of the machine varies too much to carry any weight safely.. Some folks have fabbed up brackets to mount loaders on AWS models though.. Not for me!

I have a 4310 with an 8' bucket that will do just about anything I need it too!

So, like I said, Mark's needs & desires are what will determine what tractor he needs..

#16 ·
On the 425-55 and the x475-95 models, aws was an option. On the x700 series, aws is a different model #.

X724 or x734 - aws gas
X729 or x739 - aws, awd gas
X744 or x754 - aws diesel
X749 - aws, awd diesel

JD did not build a all wheel drive, all wheel steer diesel (x759) when the new models came out a few years ago because they would of had to put a roll bar on it, due to weight.
Well actually the X series were 4 Wheel Steer where the 4xx series were all wheel steer.What say ye to that?

#18 ·
Thanks for info! Very helpful. How many hours are typical on the Kawasaki engines before rebuild? Would $2500 be a fair price for a 425 in good shape with 1800 hours? Anything to be afraid of with 2000+ hours? (I know about the cam gear).
Seems like diesel might add $1500 to price for that model?

Not too many model 40 loaders out there....how much can one be purchased for?

Thanks!

#21 ·
I see them for sale with ~2K hours.. It all depends on how well the machine is maintained and used.. It's not uncommon for the things to go to 1600 with no trouble.. The one I got, OTOH had ~1100 low to no maintenance hours.. It was a mess..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.