• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 WA7PUG OFFLINE  

WA7PUG
  • Member No: 80575
  • 1 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted February 12, 2016 - 11:27 PM

Hi Guys - had an old JD318 and I have not yet taken it apart but think it has points .... I can get serial number if need be ... but is there a conversion to electronic ignition for the Onan engines?

Thanks ... I use the thing as a little tractor and it is partially refurbed but a long way to go and I just got started with it so there is a lot I do not know ....

Again - thanks - doug

#2 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,704 Thanks
  • 8,894 posts

Posted February 13, 2016 - 04:42 AM

Doug, if the engine is factory you have an Onan B43 or a P218 depending on your serial number. The B43G has points. Getting rid of the points is really involved on the B43.
Remove old point system and install block off plate.
Remove old coil, and install new one along with condenser.
Remove flywheel, stator, and front cover. Install new front cover making sure the governor arm is the same. Re-install stator, module, special key, and flywheel magnet, but the flywheel must be machined so the new magnets don't get ground off.

Have a you read up on using a PointSaver kit from Kirk's Engines? Much more tolerable $-wise.

If you are going to replace the points, there is a guy in Minnesota that sells a complete kit actually using Onan parts. But it is not cheap.
  • Gtractor, Alc, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#3 number2000 OFFLINE  

number2000
  • Member No: 10211
  • 2 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted February 13, 2016 - 12:49 PM

Doug, I agree with cat385B, it is a lot of work messing around if you have the B43G engine and want to change. I have the B43G in my 318 and having points has not been an issue for me.

My 2cents.

Tim
  • WA7PUG said thank you

#4 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted February 13, 2016 - 01:59 PM

Drop Kirk a line and see if this works on the Onan.  I love his stuff and have used it on my 120 and my 312.

http://www.kirkengines.com/index.php#1

Trandenser II Electronic Ignition System

Due to the miniaturization of transistorized circuits of high current capability, a complete electronic ignition system can now be made to fit in an enclosure no bigger than a conventional ignition capacitor! The Trandenser II is designed using IGBT (Insulated Gate Bipolar Transistor) technology to offer an unparalleled ignition performance upgrade to your Kohler or Onan engine that employs a battery-breaker point ignition system. The Trandenser II replaces the condenser, installing into the original condenser clamp. Breaker point current is reduced from 2 amps down to 150 milliamps allowing points to last virtually the life of the engine. The rapid switching capability of IGBT technology allows for greater energy delivered to the spark plug. The result is a system offering improved all-weather starting, vastly extended breaker point life, improved running quality throughout the engine operational range, and is packaged such that installation is a breeze! An integral LED static timing light provides a simple way of setting ignition timing precisely.

IGBT circuits have been developed for, and are widely used in the automotive field for ignition systems and fuel injector drivers. For those interested in this technology, see http://www.ti.com/li...169/slua169.pdf for a thorough technical description.

The Trandenser II module is designed to work with 12 volt ignition coils that have a primary resistance of 3.0 to 6.0 ohms. Most all of the stock ignition coils fall into this range. If your coil is an aftermarket replacement or uses an external ballast resistor as some Onan systems do, check primary resistance by measuring across the (+) and (-) terminals of the coil using an ohm meter. The use of aftermarket coils with resistance values lower than 3.0 ohms will cause the module to fail. Be safe - if in doubt, check before ordering. The Trandenser II is fully compatible with all of the ignition coils that we sell.

We are proud to offer this cutting-edge ignition system technology at a very reasonable price and with an unconditional 1-year warranty.

Trandenser II Electronic Ignition System price each - $32.00 plus $4.00 Priority Mail Shipping

• KennyP and WA7PUG have said thanks

#5 pidjones ONLINE  

pidjones
  • Member No: 76750
  • 56 Thanks
  • 42 posts

Posted February 16, 2016 - 05:40 PM

I'm even considering this system for my '77 GoldWing. I don't mind points, just hate adjusting and replacing them. This system cuts the current down so much that wear is a non-issue.

Edited by pidjones, February 16, 2016 - 05:40 PM.

• Alc and WA7PUG have said thanks

#6 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted February 16, 2016 - 07:37 PM

I'm even considering this system for my '77 GoldWing. I don't mind points, just hate adjusting and replacing them. This system cuts the current down so much that wear is a non-issue.

I have the predecessor on my 120 and my 312.  No questions asked one of the best purchases.  The new version is even more appealing for show tractors as no one knows they are installed. 

• Alc and WA7PUG have said thanks

#7 WA7PUG OFFLINE  

WA7PUG
  • Member No: 80575
  • 1 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted February 25, 2016 - 12:30 AM

Thanks Guys! I have a couple of issues that made me think about going that route, but it looks like a toss up workwise ... I just need the thing to run. I also have a carb problem in that I have to run it on half choke, which I think means I am set too lean ... hope to look at that problem this weekend and maybe the other issues will be minimized.

Thank you all again so very much!

#8 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted February 25, 2016 - 07:43 AM

Could be sucking air at the base of the carb or intake manifold.  Try spaying some carb cleaner lightly in those areas.  If the engine speeds up you found your leak.

• pidjones said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 318, electronic ignition, onan