28 replies to this topic

#1 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,079 posts

Posted February 12, 2016 - 07:25 PM

Just got done packing food for midnight shift tonight. May be a double so I packed more than usual. I usually stick with peanut butter since it keeps well.

2 puddings, 4 peanut butter sandwiches, bag of chips, 2 fruit cups, and a pack of crackers.

That's my usual "field" work bucket. If I'm not going underground I usually grab something out.

This leads me to my next question is it lunch or dinner to you? I've also called lunch dinner and dinner is supper!
  • Alc, hamman, KennyP and 5 others have said thanks

#2 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted February 12, 2016 - 07:38 PM

When I worked at Pontiac Motors back in the 60s I took my lunch every day. I still lived at home and I would give my mom money for food and let her pack the lunch. ( pretty sweet deal for me). She packed lunch for my dad and  I. Most days were bologna and cheese with chips and carrots. On Friday she would pack me fried egg sandwiches along with sausage links. If I had to work overtime on the weekends, ( which meant she got extra money) she would pack me her special fried pork chops. Ah brings back great memories. Sounds like you have it down to a science for what you want.   Thanks for sharing.                                         Roger

• Alc, Lauber1, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,458 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted February 12, 2016 - 07:42 PM

I haven't packed a lunch in MANY years, but I'd have to add a little J to that PB.

• boyscout862 and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#4 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,736 Thanks
  • 8,912 posts

Posted February 12, 2016 - 07:47 PM

Sandwich (summer sausage, beef, ham, venison, turkey, shaved chicken, pepperoni, or whatever is in the fridge for leftovers) and a side of either broccoli, carrots, celery, or an apple. Three waters in the winter, a gallon jug once it warms up, and a Mountain Dew for the drive in. (sometimes one for the drive home)

And I absolutely detest stopping for lunch. It's just another half hour before I get home to the family. (and I might have an issue with not getting paid for that half hour that I'm there)

• Bolens 1000, boyscout862 and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#5 Little Irish Men OFFLINE  

Little Irish Men
  • Member No: 61934
  • 664 Thanks
  • 386 posts

Posted February 12, 2016 - 07:50 PM

Well  what you call it, Dinner,  Lunch,  supper,   kind depends on were you from  , for us dinner was , what some call lunch and supper was what some call  dinner  I don't care what you call it , just don't call me late .

Patrick.

• boyscout862, oldedeeres and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#6 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,151 Thanks
  • 4,500 posts

Posted February 12, 2016 - 08:22 PM

Another guy and I argued over this several times.  He is one of those that thinks everything has to come from the City.  We have always called the noon meal dinner and the evening meal supper.  When we were haying with several neighbors we would get a light lunch around 10 am and another around 3 pm.  Mind you that was manual labor back then  Small Square bales loaded by hand and stacked by hand.  I still stick to those terms.  I call those that have dinner in the evening City Slickers. :rolling: :poke: :dancingbanana: :thumbs:

• olcowhand, Alc, boyscout862 and 3 others have said thanks

#7 Bud OFFLINE  

Bud

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 650
  • 341 Thanks
  • 404 posts

Posted February 12, 2016 - 08:44 PM

When I was a young and single and was an ironworker living in hotels from one job to anther, I usually had a jar of baby food such as apricots or tapioca for desert.  They were cheap and good.  There weren't all theses individual foods then.  Brought a laugh from some fellow workers and some started getting some themselves.

• Alc, boyscout862 and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#8 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,031 Thanks
  • 1,126 posts

Posted February 12, 2016 - 09:53 PM

I won't go into the younger days where it was a can if Dinty Moore on a diesel compressor manifold to actually having a sit down at a cafe.

Now I'm real consistent. I make one sandwich, usually buy a 14-6" sub sandwich pre-made turkey-ham meat pack with 3 slices of each. That lasts over 2 weeks. One slice of hard cheese that may vary. This week was cheddar. Unfortunately my wife makes me use thin brown bread of some kind too. I like white. I eat half for morning break. That is also my breakfast. I have a sandwich bag of potato chips and eat half of that. Then usually a sandwich bag of carrots and snap peas, cherry tomatoes if we feel rich that week---LOL! Eat half of that. Eight of those little "chocolate vanilla" sandwich cookies for dessert which I eat four. Drink a diet coke.

Lunch, Repeat above. I don't eat again until I get home and have a few pieces of beef jerky while I'm reading the stuff here on the computer.

DAC

Edited by MFDAC, February 12, 2016 - 09:55 PM.

• Alc, boyscout862, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#9 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 12, 2016 - 09:58 PM

Another guy and I argued over this several times.  He is one of those that thinks everything has to come from the City.  We have always called the noon meal dinner and the evening meal supper.  When we were haying with several neighbors we would get a light lunch around 10 am and another around 3 pm.  Mind you that was manual labor back then  Small Square bales loaded by hand and stacked by hand.  I still stick to those terms.  I call those that have dinner in the evening City Slickers. :rolling: :poke: :dancingbanana: :thumbs:

I agree, in the country it is breakfast, dinner and supper in the city it is breakfast,lunch and dinner.

Used to spend a lot of time on my uncles farm and my aunt was 1st generation dutch. the meals at 10 and 3 were called coffee time.

Uncle Bob  5 meals a day and around 9:00 pm had cookies or cake and ice cream. that man never weighed over 150 lbs, he burnt a lot of calories doing manual labor on the farm.

#10 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted February 12, 2016 - 10:31 PM

I eat breakfast, dinner and supper and if I am lucky a few snacks in-between!

I usually take a fried egg with bacon or sausage patty for morning break, and what ever was leftover from the night before supper.

We eat out often and usually no "left-overs" to take the next day, so I eat out of the vending machine.

Edited by KC9KAS, February 12, 2016 - 10:35 PM.

#11 karl OFFLINE  

karl
  • Member No: 38218
  • 1,045 Thanks
  • 778 posts

Posted February 13, 2016 - 12:22 AM

Spamwich

• boyscout862, jd.rasentrac and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#12 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted February 13, 2016 - 12:53 AM

Well, I take BOXED frozen junk till tired of them, then sandwiches with deli meats or such, cheese on them till sick of sandwiches.  Wife works at Subway, but can get tired of those after awhile. Then want hot dishes for awhile. SOMETIMES (wife can't know I'm writing this), there is decent meals made that I WANT to take more of them to work. Have even taken cereals and eaten light for the night. Plenty of cookies and Chocolate a must, Sometimes fruit cups and jellos, but they get less tasty in winter and fewer choices even in stores.  LOVE real oven made Italian breads, like from Walmarts deli, made right there. Have to change around as weeks go, or you get real tire of what is being taken. ONe last thing, NEVER any PB in my box or anywhere else, not even with Jelly!  Ewww!

• toomanytoys84 said thank you

#13 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,802 Thanks
  • 2,201 posts

Posted February 13, 2016 - 09:02 AM

Start with fruit, usually 2or 3, then a few breakfast/snack bars through out the day. Cereal for break then a yogurt for second break around noon.  We don't stop for lunch, a couple more snacks on the ride home, apple and something else. I call what the family eats at night time , supper!

• KennyP and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#14 Traill95 ONLINE  

Traill95

Traill95

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8763
  • 1,574 Thanks
  • 916 posts

Posted February 13, 2016 - 09:33 AM

No  packing,   Retired :smilewink:  :smilewink:  :smilewink:

• Gtractor, KennyP and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#15 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted February 13, 2016 - 10:56 AM

The little things I could get in my big lunchbox
Like nuts, an' bolts, and all four shocks.

• Gtractor, KennyP, MFDAC and 3 others have said thanks