Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

What's the real story on TRA vs. TR-10d interchangeability?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 red79 OFFLINE  

red79
  • Member No: 60181
  • 57 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted February 11, 2016 - 10:43 PM

I'm in the process of taking a TR-10d, which is in excellent shape, and turning it into a TRA-10d by taking the internals out of a TRA that is otherwise in bad shape. My problem is that both engines have the same head - AB-112-A.

The manual suggests this is for TR engines and does not interchange with the TRA. I'm confused by this, obviously, as the TRA I'm taking down has it and very clearly was used and abused for a very long time. Can someone tell me whether these do in fact interchange? What is the difference between the two heads if anything?

Thanks! It's moments like these that I love being a forum member.
  • MyBolens1053 and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#2 MyBolens1053 OFFLINE  

MyBolens1053
  • Member No: 50025
  • 634 Thanks
  • 566 posts

Posted February 12, 2016 - 02:46 AM

I'm in the process of taking a TR-10d, which is in excellent shape, and turning it into a TRA-10d by taking the internals out of a TRA that is otherwise in bad shape. My problem is that both engines have the same head - AB-112-A.

The manual suggests this is for TR engines and does not interchange with the TRA. I'm confused by this, obviously, as the TRA I'm taking down has it and very clearly was used and abused for a very long time. Can someone tell me whether these do in fact interchange? What is the difference between the two heads if anything?

Thanks! It's moments like these that I love being a forum member.

Hello red79,

I'm not sure if this will help answer your question. According to TractorData.com they make the following claim.

"The Wisconsin TR-10D was used in the Bolen 1050 only during the first production year, 1966. Tractors with the TR-10D carried model code 192-01. The Wisconsin TRA-10D was used in the Bolen 1050 starting with the 1967 production year and model code 192-02, and continued to the end of production."

As far as any parts associated with the head, from what I see, is a head bolt that is slightly longer due to a coil bracket that would mount on top of the head. I see no other specs and/or parts that could have an adverse effect from using either head.

Good luck.

Oh, and we need pics.  :)

• LPBolens and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted February 12, 2016 - 08:20 AM

The TR10D is 8.25HP , TRA10D is 10HP The stroke is longer on the TRA than the TR10D

Heads and connecting rods will not interchange, piston is also different.

• boyscout862, TomLGT195 and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#4 red79 OFFLINE  

red79
  • 57 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted February 12, 2016 - 09:07 AM

Thanks for the responses guys!

The TR10D is 8.25HP , TRA10D is 10HP The stroke is longer on the TRA than the TR10D

Heads and connecting rods will not interchange, piston is also different.

Brian, this was my impression after reading a few different manuals, but how do I reconcile the fact that the head I just pulled off a TRA-10d is supposedly the wrong part?  The engine in question very clearly saw years of use based on overall condition, carbon buildup, etc., so I know the head worked on that application.  Do you have any pictures of the correct cylinder head?  Specifically where the mold indicates the part number?

Mine is stamped AB-112-A where the part number stamp is located, but also is stamped "-1" on the flat (piston side) of the head.

I'm also still wondering what makes the TR vs. TRA heads different?  Is there a deeper combustion chamber well on the TRA head or something?

Thanks again for any more insight 

• MyBolens1053 said thank you

#5 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted February 12, 2016 - 09:18 AM

I haven't studied them closely enough to tell the difference the AB-112A-1 indicates TRA10D

#6 farmerall OFFLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8266
  • 2,157 Thanks
  • 1,448 posts

Posted February 12, 2016 - 07:33 PM

I'm also still wondering what makes the TR vs. TRA heads different?  Is there a deeper combustion chamber well on the TRA head or something?

I'd guess that is probably what the difference between the two is, the bolt pattern should be the same so it would bolt on just fine.

#7 red79 OFFLINE  

red79
  • 57 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted February 13, 2016 - 08:56 AM

I'd guess that is probably what the difference between the two is, the bolt pattern should be the same so it would bolt on just fine.

That's the only thing that makes logical sense to me. For now, I'm choosing to believe that the extra "-1" stamped on the inside of the head means that it was machined -- by Wisconsin or otherwise -- from TR to TRA specs. I don't have too much hesitation rebuilding with that head because I pulled it off my TRA in the first place. I would prefer to confirm my theory beforehand if possible, so if anyone has been down this road before, let me know.