24 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,151 Thanks
  • 4,500 posts

Posted February 11, 2016 - 05:30 PM

Building another building for the Garden Railroad.  Like all the other is have built, use re-sawed cedar.  Frame work is 1/2" square, which scales out to about 12"  The siding on this on, and most of the others with vertical siding is 3/32" X 1" cedar strips.  I cut all this dimension lumber with a re-saw blade in my 14" band saw.  All the joints are glued with exterior Titebond III and nailed with 1" slight head nail from a nail gun.  The window "glass" will be plex-a-glass put on from the inside.  I use DAP Tub and tile sealer and adhesive for that.  Water proof and once it dries it is stuck for the duration.  Rafters will be 1/2" square stock about 4" apart.  Will use either plex-a-glass over them or a heavy weight plastic sheeting.  Probably cover that with aluminum "tin" shingles with overlap.  Prime that and then paint it black and cover with black blasting media.  Will hold up good till the first hail storm come through.  Might have to work on the roof a little then.

Pak-1.JPG    Pak-2.JPG    Pak-3.JPG    Pak-4.JPG

• grnspot110, Alc, hamman and 12 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,459 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted February 11, 2016 - 05:37 PM

Nice looking building! Must be fun cutting all that wood!

• chieffan said thank you

#3 CanadianHobbyFarmer ONLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • Member No: 73571
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted February 11, 2016 - 06:03 PM

Looks like you are putting a lot of detail into it. Do you have pictures on here somewhere of the rest of your railroad buildings and lay out?

Jim

• karl and chieffan have said thanks

#4 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,151 Thanks
  • 4,500 posts

Posted February 11, 2016 - 08:30 PM

Looks like you are putting a lot of detail into it. Do you have pictures on here somewhere of the rest of your railroad buildings and lay out?

Jim

Will put up some photos tomorrow of other buildings and the layout.

• Texas Deere and Horse, LilysDad and cootertom have said thanks

#5 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,151 Thanks
  • 4,500 posts

Posted February 11, 2016 - 08:35 PM

Nice looking building! Must be fun cutting all that wood!

I get the cedar from a company that builds cedar bird houses and feeders, both usable and decorative.  They get their cedar rough cut and process to their needs.  They have scrap bundles from time to time for $5 loaded on your trailer.  The bundle is 4' across and 6' long.  About half and half of square type pieces and triangular pieces.  Most all are full 1" thick so have plenty of material to work with.  Do all the sawing on my band saw.  Once the fence is set up it don't take long to run a bunch of "lumber".

• grnspot110, Alc, Lmiller3358 and 1 other said thanks

#6 Lmiller3358 OFFLINE  

Lmiller3358

• Member No: 5109
  • 1,333 Thanks
  • 1,321 posts

Posted February 12, 2016 - 05:35 AM

Nice work !

#7 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,151 Thanks
  • 4,500 posts

Posted February 12, 2016 - 08:39 AM

Some buildings I made the last two winters.  Also some of the layout in general.  Still adding more shrubs, flowers, etc.El SW Towers-1.JPG El Sw towers-2.JPG Mine-1.JPG Mine-2.JPG Easter-3.JPG Easter-4.JPG Easter-5.JPG Railroad North.JPG Railroad SE.JPG

• Alc, Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP and 5 others have said thanks

#8 tiretrx ONLINE  

tiretrx

Village Idiot

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8012
  • 931 Thanks
  • 679 posts

Posted February 12, 2016 - 09:05 AM

That's really neat! Seems like it would make for great winter projects too.

#9 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,151 Thanks
  • 4,500 posts

Posted February 12, 2016 - 10:55 AM

I can be a year around time consumer if you want it to be.  I have all the repair work done that deeded to be done on the buildings so they are ready to go back out again.  Building this new one, packing house with pens.  Working on Gt in between when it is not to cold.  Will start going over the engines and servicing them, then getting the car axles all lubed with graphite and any repairs made.  Bachmann seems to have very sloppy tolerances on their stuff so it take some tweaking most of the time to get things to work right.

Engines are controlled by remote hand held unit.  Engines are battery powered by an 18V Ryobi Li Io Battery.  Charges is about 20 min and will run the train for over 1/2 hour.  Varies with # of cars and which line it is on.  Sharper curves uses more power.

That crossing signal is fully operable. Tthe signal control shed is also authentic.  Both came from a close crossing on the BNSF - old Q line in town.

• Alc, KennyP, MFDAC and 1 other said thanks

#10 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted February 13, 2016 - 07:12 AM

Really love it !!

Just a ? kinda off the post, are the tractor tires in the background being used as raised garden beds? We started some near the house a couple years back and they have been amazing

#11 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,151 Thanks
  • 4,500 posts

Posted February 13, 2016 - 09:08 AM

Really love it !!

Just a ? kinda off the post, are the tractor tires in the background being used as raised garden beds? We started some near the house a couple years back and they have been amazing

We had the garden in the area of the RR several years ago but to much clay.  Used the tires as raised bed for strawberries.  Filled the bottom with excess dirt from digging the basement and put about a foot of black dirt on top.  Has really worked out good so far.  Granddaughter picking berries.  Picking Berries-2.jpg

• Cvans and jpackard56 have said thanks

#12 jdcrawler OFFLINE  

jdcrawler

tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1639
  • 3,173 Thanks
  • 1,724 posts

Posted February 13, 2016 - 04:55 PM

That is a nice out door layout.    Is it G-scale ?

#13 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,151 Thanks
  • 4,500 posts

Posted April 06, 2016 - 07:03 AM

Sorry for the delay in posting.  Been nice weather and been outside and in the shop getting things ready for spring.

Yes, that is G scale.  Which can be anywhere from 22.5:1 to 30:1.  Most run the 22.5:1 and 25:1.  Have to watch on the buildings, people etc. from China as they get confused in the change from U.S. to metric.  Usually run a lot smaller.  About to finish the last building.  Will post photos when finished.

Edited by chieffan, April 06, 2016 - 07:04 AM.

• KennyP and Sawdust have said thanks

#14 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,151 Thanks
  • 4,500 posts

Posted April 06, 2016 - 03:05 PM

Got in gear and finished the building and pen this afternoon.  No more big basement projects this winter that I know of.  The red strip on the end by the pen and on the back side is the track for the sliding door.  The doors don't show up very good - wrong angle and pen blocking the view.  Exterior 3/8 ply for the sub-floor and 3/4 cedar for the base around the perimeter.  Keeps moisture from the plywood and critters from using the inside of the building as a nesting place.  Entire building is cedar except the roof which is aluminum tin shingles.  Primed and painted with blasting media sprinkled over the wet paint.  Starting a week from today will be out of commission for a while with total knee replacement.  Have to check the turnouts yet when I get power to them.  Then can run the whole thing from one place.

#15 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,151 Thanks
  • 4,500 posts

Posted April 07, 2016 - 07:05 PM

Went out this morning before the crazy wind started in again.  All the turnouts are working but one.  It only wants to throw one way and part way back.  Probably a spider web inside.  Wind came up so had to stake a covered bridge down as it was really starting to shake.  Went to the wood shop and cut up some more lumber to build a bridge to replace one that is about shot.  Was made out of pine and that don't work.  Bought it that way. 
Came in about 2:30 and noticed I had two buildings blew over and the train shed was laying on its side.  That shed as been there for 3 years and never had a problem. Went through the winters and all.  Was anchored to a 2 X 6 sitting on blocks just up off the ground.  Top is about a foot high.  Laid it over on its side, pulling the track apart at two joints.  Had gusts up to 45 mph this afternoon.  This is about 7 days in a row of hard winds.  Few days from the South and then back to the WNW again.  Getting sick of it.  Can't get anything done outside in those conditions.

• KennyP said thank you