16 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,145 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted February 11, 2016 - 08:16 AM

Left home in the snow heading for the City yesterday morning about 8.  Drop our Pom off at Petsmart for a grooming,etc. Was 9:30 and the store we wanted to look for new curtains in was not open.  Headed to Walmart.  The had some nice heavy thermal sets with no price.  Found a clerk and found they were going on clearance for 1/2 price.  BINGO !  Grabbed two and a nice rod and out the door.

Next stop was Nebraska Furniture Mart.  Met a friend there that had a NOS UP calendar for 1988 I wanted for display this year.  Picked out the carpeting for the living room, did the paperwork, wrote the check and left happy?  Headed for Golden Coral to refuel.  The a stop across a couple street to Menard's.  Picked out some Wainscoting we liked & a couple other items.  Out the door and stopped to pick up the Pom.  He was ready to say the least.  Headed down the road to a friend that runs a small engine salvage yard/repair shop (when he decides he wants to work).  Picked up a good running Briggs Vanguard 18 hp for my Cub Cadet I picked up for $25 a while back..  Chatted a bit and headed towards home.

One more stop yet.  Picked up the hydro belt, steering shaft bushing, and tie rod end bushings from a Former Cub Cadet place.  He dropped the Cub Cadet due to way to the way they were built.  Headed for home.  Got unloaded and in the house.  Then got to thinking.  Now I have to put that Wainscoting on the wall in the hall way.  Bought 5 pieces 48 X 32 and only two go on as on piece.  Have to start packing things up and get ready to move everything out of the living room in a week.  Mean time have to remove the old carpeting and do some minor repair work on the floor.  Just what I needed.  More work but at least it is inside as it is 10° this morning and talking below 0 this weekend.  Come on Spring !

• MH81, Alc, Texas Deere and Horse and 5 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,399 Thanks
  • 39,659 posts

Posted February 11, 2016 - 08:30 AM

Sounds like a fun job!

• chieffan said thank you

#3 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted February 11, 2016 - 08:31 AM

What is "Wainscoting"?

• KennyP and chieffan have said thanks

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,399 Thanks
  • 39,659 posts

Posted February 11, 2016 - 08:48 AM

What is "Wainscoting"?

Paneling that only goes part way up the wall.

• crittersf1 said thank you

#5 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,604 Thanks
  • 7,659 posts

Posted February 11, 2016 - 08:50 AM

.  He dropped the Cub Cadet due to way to the way they were built.

What did he replace CC with???

#6 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted February 11, 2016 - 08:55 AM

Paneling that only goes part way up the wall.

Never heard it called by that name before

#7 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,453 Thanks
  • 3,362 posts

Posted February 11, 2016 - 09:55 AM

I was in the upholstery, interior design business for 37 years, most people think of Wainscoting as the lower portion of the wall, but it can also be the whole wall, or any part of the wall or surrounding area. All these and many more, are examples of Wainscoting.

Wainscoting-Raised-Panel-Hotel-Southport

Wainscotinginspiration1.jpg

img_14771.jpg

• Alc, KennyP, oldedeeres and 3 others have said thanks

#8 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,145 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted February 11, 2016 - 12:01 PM

What did he replace CC with???

His main line now are Simplicity, Stihl, Torro and BCS.  Has several other smaller brand also but these are his majors.  Forgot Snapper.

Edited by chieffan, February 11, 2016 - 01:48 PM.

#9 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,145 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted February 11, 2016 - 12:18 PM

toppop52:  Going to disagree with you completely.  The photos you posted are NOT Wainscoting.  Wainscoting originally was is 2" wide boards 32 -36" long with a 1/2 a shallow grove on each side.  They were nailed to the wall individually and their purpose was, and still is to protect the wall from the chair backs, tables etc.  It is seen in restaurants a lot, especially the older ones. Now, you can by Wainscoting in 48" X 32" panels or 4' X 8' panels as well as a wide variety of wood simulations.  It is being used more and more in family room, rec rooms and other high traffic areas.  Most of the original Wainscoting has been painted, some several times over the years.  When dry wall came in with texturing a lot of the Wainscoting was removed.   I hate to guess how much of this I tore out of older kitchens back in the 60's when doing remodeling.

Have included two photos of what I am putting up,  The top cap is not installed yet. One panel is laying flat on the floor.  

WC Panel-1.JPG    WC Panel-2.JPG

Edited by chieffan, February 11, 2016 - 12:19 PM.

• Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP and oldedeeres have said thanks

#10 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • 3,453 Thanks
  • 3,362 posts

Posted February 11, 2016 - 12:29 PM

I agree with you, on what it was originally, the individual boards, though there was no 2" standard originally. But there was no rule on how much wall was covered either, could be a foot, could be the whole wall. But somewhere along the way, virtually any decorative wood that covered a wall in panel form, became known as Wainscoting. When I think of it, I think of the board panels covering the lower 30%-50% of the wall, but in today's world the term covers far more styles.
  • oldedeeres said thank you

#11 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • 3,453 Thanks
  • 3,362 posts

Posted February 11, 2016 - 12:39 PM

From Merium Webster...wainscot
verb wain·scot
Definition of wainscot
wainscot·ed or wainscot·tedwainscot·ing or wainscot·ting
transitive verb
: to line with or as if with boards or paneling

It seems the original meaning was fine oak, and didn't apply to any specific use. Seems I'm learning as I go.
  • oldedeeres and chieffan have said thanks

#12 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,595 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted February 11, 2016 - 01:16 PM

Chieffan, I have the same panel 4' up my wall in my living room.  Put it in 20 years ago & looks as good as the day I put it in.

#13 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,145 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted February 11, 2016 - 01:18 PM

Wainscoting is coming back again due to the various wood grain varieties available, as well as it being produced in larger panel forms.  Webster does not always comply with the industry standards and term either.  exp:  If a closet is lined with cedar boards to make a cedar closet it is not Wainscoting.  When I was doing construction I do not remember but one time we installed Wainscoting in a new kitchen.  That was in the 2" wide boards that are still available today at Menard's, so I found out yesterday.  Anything about 32-36" was called paneling.  We did use paneling cut in half to go around the lower 49" of the wall different times.  More to save on the waist and labor than anything.

I don't remember what the original wood was but it was hard and brittle so your probably right in it being Oak, more than likely White Oak.  The Wainscoting I got yesterday has a Mahogany plywood panel with the veneer overlay, 3/16" thick.  Goes on real nice. Will post a photo when done, less the cap.

#14 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,145 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted February 11, 2016 - 01:20 PM

Chieffan, I have the same panel 4' up my wall in my living room.  Put it in 20 years ago & looks as good as the day I put it in.

Wainscoting does not wear out, it goes out of style and your ahead of the game now as it is coming back. Home Depot and Lowes haven't figured that out yet as in this area they don't have it in stock.  Special order only.  I guess you could say it does wear out if it gets really beat up from chain backs.

Edited by chieffan, February 11, 2016 - 01:47 PM.

#15 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • 3,453 Thanks
  • 3,362 posts

Posted February 11, 2016 - 04:27 PM

I wasn't trying to argue, just pointing out the differences in terminology between industries, regions and eras. Dictionary and reality don't always agree, but in my line the term has always been liberally applied. It appears the origin of the word is 16-17 century England, referring to quality oak lumber. I never knew that before,
  • MH81, shorty and chieffan have said thanks