• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,786 Thanks
  • 7,539 posts

Posted February 10, 2016 - 08:15 PM

I'm trying to remove the broken steering wheel from my Case 222. The manual shows that it should be a nut holding it on but it actually is a roll pin. I got the pin out 2 weeks ago and have been soaking the hub with PB Blaster. Even using a gear puller is not budging it. Any suggestions? Good Luck, Rick

#2 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,151 Thanks
  • 4,498 posts

Posted February 10, 2016 - 08:45 PM

A picture would sure help with what your dealing with.  Can you get at one side of the hub center with a torch and get it good and hot and with the puller just maybe?  Or is the center hub covered with the bakalite type stuff?  Any way to cut the hub down one side to release the pressure without damaging the shaft?

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted February 11, 2016 - 04:10 AM

I've had to break those off, plastic off down to hub, then cut off metal hub with wheel In air tool. Still might need torch even.
  • boyscout862 and Oldford have said thanks

#4 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,786 Thanks
  • 7,539 posts

Posted February 11, 2016 - 07:19 AM

I bought the replacement from Joe's and he was able to take the good one off without damage. I will try a little longer with the puller and then get out the sawzall. Thanks, Rick

#5 crittersf1 ONLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,760 posts

Posted February 11, 2016 - 08:50 AM

Time for the blue wrench

#6 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted February 11, 2016 - 05:36 PM

Don't you wonder why someone never came up with a better way to mount a steering wheel?  No matter what style, pinned, splines and nut, tapered, even squared, they all rust on and be hard to get off. Seems there should have been some Magic Cream to apply for easier removal?  Or just a SQEEZE type clamping action like a U-joint might have going on a splined shaft. Something you could spread a bit to work off. OR, here's a simple idea, Threads down into the center of wheel in the hub, that a big bolt is turned into and it pushes the hub off.  That seems easiest to me. Still would have to soak for rust tho probly??

• boyscout862 said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: case 222, steering wheel removal