Home made tractor

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 offroadohio OFFLINE  

• Member No: 80615
  • 118 Thanks
  • 61 posts

Posted February 10, 2016 - 05:15 PM

Doesnt look like much to todays standards but my grandfather built this thing back in the 50s and it started out with a wooden frame, but as most things he built for everyday use it changed many times over the years I have NEVER seen it run but I have seen some 8mm footage of it when it had a hood and fenders on it, dragging a car up the road. I might be able to find some black and white photos of it somewhere too

Currently has Rear axle is a narrowed axle from a Henry J. Has a 3 speed transmission from an old mail jeep. Has a chain sprocket welded on trans input shaft ran up to another sprocket with a pulley on the other end (gear reduction and to convert over to belt. has a 8hp on it now but tis been locked for many many years. ( as you can tell it has sat outside since it stopped running, again I am 28 and have never seen it run, so its been a little bit) Steering shaft and gear box are from a crosley.

it was set up at one time to run the old 2 wheeled david bradley attachments. In the 8mm footage it has a sickle bar mower on the front.

I do not believe the current motor allowed for the attachments.
ive wanted to replace the motor with a smaller cc atv motor so I had use of the internal transmission and clutch system but It has sat so long now that id be lucky to ever get the transmission and rear axle free.

Bottom 2 are of the first build of.it when it was all.wooden

This is it today sadly.

Edited by offroadohio, February 10, 2016 - 05:19 PM.

• rustyoldjunk, Gtractor, Alc and 17 others have said thanks

#2 Username OFFLINE  

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,064 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted February 10, 2016 - 05:35 PM

That's pretty neat.It would be great to see the old footage.Have you thought about converting it to digital?

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,120 Thanks
  • 5,673 posts

Posted February 10, 2016 - 05:42 PM

#4 Jazz OFFLINE  

• Member No: 62028
  • 1,355 Thanks
  • 890 posts

Posted February 10, 2016 - 05:47 PM

Very nice and your grandfather saw fit to put the hubcaps on!

• Alc and boyscout862 have said thanks

#5 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted February 10, 2016 - 05:58 PM

Looks neat. You'd be surprised, a lot of the old stuff will free up with a good soaking in penetrating oil.
  • rustyoldjunk and boyscout862 have said thanks

#6 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,533 Thanks
  • 6,384 posts

Posted February 10, 2016 - 06:15 PM

Pretty nice job for back then. Crosley parts, kinda like a Power King, ha!   Love those BIG Cuffs on the Jeans of the kids!  Looks like all having fun!

#7 petrj6 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,730 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted February 10, 2016 - 06:25 PM

You need to get that going again!!!! really neat tractor and great story.  so If I can see correctly the motor is definitely a replacement and much newer than the tractor so you may as well scrap that especially with the exhaust sticking straight up like that and wide open.  find yourself an old Clinton or Wisconsin with an oil bath air cleaner so it looks correct on there and have at it, I bet most of the differentials and trans will come rite apart and be ok and because they were car parts you should be able to source replacements fairly easily.

#8 warrior120 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 77709
  • 56 Thanks
  • 74 posts

Posted February 10, 2016 - 06:41 PM

Really cool! What prat of Ohio are you from

#9 classic ONLINE  

• Member No: 52970
  • 3,409 Thanks
  • 1,584 posts

Posted February 10, 2016 - 06:50 PM

I would find a replacement engine from that era Like Pete said. You can still find plenty of parts if you need them for the transmission and rear end. Don't be intimidated by the rust and lack of things working. Break it down and start the project with patients. This is something that can never be replaced, priceless! I'd be glad to help hunt down parts for you and give advice if you need it. The steering box from the Crosley was made by Ross and rebuild parts are available. The transmission will have casting numbers for identification and should be easy to rebuild. Great story and pics, and try to get that video footage where we can see it!
  • Alc, boyscout862, LilysDad and 2 others have said thanks

#10 offroadohio OFFLINE  

• 118 Thanks
  • 61 posts

Posted February 10, 2016 - 07:12 PM

Footage may be ruined becuase it was in a wet basement many years ago. Not sure if it even still exist.

I'm from lancaster ohio.
Tractor was built near zaneaville.
Funny part of the stor I forgot.

Grandpa built it in his basement, and it wouldn't fit out the door so to get it out he had to take it all back apart and reassemble.
  • Alc, wvbuzzmaster, boyscout862 and 4 others have said thanks

#11 offroadohio OFFLINE  

• 118 Thanks
  • 61 posts

Posted February 10, 2016 - 07:13 PM

The guy driving in the first photo is my great uncle gail.

That's his younger brother Terry driving in the second pic. And my dad riding shot guy

My dad's other siblings ate the ones in the wagons
  • boyscout862 and classic have said thanks

#12 Kurtee OFFLINE  

• Member No: 7561
  • 452 Thanks
  • 410 posts

Posted February 10, 2016 - 07:21 PM

Most excellent piece of family history. Very kind of you to share the particulars. I love the old photos.Those kids were most likely the envy of the neighborhood back then. Kurtee

• boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#13 offroadohio OFFLINE  

• 118 Thanks
  • 61 posts

Posted February 10, 2016 - 07:28 PM

The history behind out tractors runs deep within.my family.

This tractor was built in the late 50s. Y grandpa.worked at a local hardware after wwii. He met my grandma at that store and retired from.there in the 80s. Anyhow they sold tractors and he couldn't afford one so this was his solution. As the years went on he started taking side jobs fixing tractors and that is where my sears suburban comes in. Early.70s it was dropped off.for.repair. grandpa determined it needed an engine and the owner said it wasn't worth fixing and never came back.to get it. 5 engines later I am still using it.today.

His brother gail who is driving in the one photo bought an Oliver 66 row crop in the 70s too. When he passed grandpa got the 66. When he passed dad got it. We still use it to this day on the farm.

On my grandma's side, her dad purchased this

Brand new, it went to a distant cousin for years and about 10 years ago it was given to my dad, had been in the barn untouched for nearly.20 years. Cleaned carb and points, and it gets used still today aswell. Though it needs some attention. And eventually will get a restore.
  • Alc, wvbuzzmaster, CRFarnsworth and 5 others have said thanks