17 replies to this topic

#1 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8592
  • 2,515 Thanks
  • 732 posts

Posted February 09, 2016 - 04:45 PM

Went shopping, upped my game doing an out with the old and in with the new. Old plasma, torch set up and hand truck were getting tired, got some good deals , new torch set been gathering dust .. batter up.
Pics:

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

• wilberj, MH81, wvbuzzmaster and 5 others have said thanks

#2 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,660 Thanks
  • 6,474 posts

Posted February 09, 2016 - 05:14 PM

Torch for sale then, do I understand?  Brand and price?  I have an old one, supposed to be one of best made, but is so old, shops no longer have tips and parts for them. Last time looked thru a big box of left-over tips all new, but this brand that no one wanted. Good sizes all gone. I didn't wanna buy chinese set that didn't have parts too.  Least you got some US made stuff. Not sure brand on the cutter?  I should buy plasma cutter and sell my torch too, but can't seem to do the big spend for what little most of those can cut, thickness wise.  Then still need to heat things, so guess torch stays!

• WrenchinOnIt and CanadianHobbyFarmer have said thanks

#3 pick-to-stone OFFLINE  

pick-to-stone

Living in the past

• Member No: 76550
  • 253 Thanks
  • 371 posts

Posted February 09, 2016 - 05:20 PM

those new tools look nice perfect for an upgrad but hold on to some of your old stuff jest in case

Edited by pick-to-stone, February 09, 2016 - 05:21 PM.

• WrenchinOnIt said thank you

#4 jhn9840 ONLINE  

jhn9840

• Member No: 10
  • 127 Thanks
  • 186 posts

Posted February 09, 2016 - 05:30 PM

Your Hypertherm sure is a thing of beauty. Don't have one myself but those Powermax 65's got some great reviews. Enjoy.

jhn9840
John
  • Alc, WrenchinOnIt and Bmerf have said thanks

#5 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,278 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted February 09, 2016 - 05:31 PM

Nice stuff.
How much did the cart set you back?

#6 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,515 Thanks
  • 732 posts

Posted February 09, 2016 - 05:50 PM

Your Hypertherm sure is a thing of beauty. Don't have one myself but those Powermax 65's got some great reviews. Enjoy.
jhn9840
John

Thanks, IMO Hypertherm are the best, when you only make one thing , you tend to excel.
Lived in Chester WVa for 3 years working on the A-bomb unit 2 in Shippingport back in the '80s. Spent 2006-2008 in Wheeling working on the scrubber down at Mitchell coal burner south of Moundsville, was really surprised how Chester had changed... Mountaineer I guess

Nice stuff.
How much did the cart set you back?

Thanks, Meadville Home Depot, thought it was $65 but don't quote me , I had a couple of gift cards from Christmas burning a hole

Edited by WrenchinOnIt, February 09, 2016 - 06:02 PM.

#7 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,278 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted February 09, 2016 - 06:03 PM

Thanks, IMO Hypertherm are the best, when you only make one thing , you tend to excel.
Lived in Chester WVa for 3 years working on the A-bomb unit 2 in Shippingport back in the '80s. Spent 2006-2008 in Wheeling working on the scrubber down at Mitchell coal burner, was really surprised how Chester had changed... Mountaineer
Thanks, Meadville Home Depot, thought it was $65 but don't quote me , I had a couple of gift cards from Christmas burning a hole

If I knew we were neighbors, I forgot, sorry.

Are you planning on going to the FCVAEC plow day this spring?

#8 jhn9840 ONLINE  

jhn9840

• Member No: 10
  • 127 Thanks
  • 186 posts

Posted February 09, 2016 - 06:24 PM

Lived in Chester WVa for 3 years working on the A-bomb unit 2 in Shippingport back in the '80s. Spent 2006-2008 in Wheeling working on the scrubber down at Mitchell coal burner south of Moundsville, was really surprised how Chester had changed... Mountaineer I guess

Internet makes it a small world. Lived in Wheeling my whole life. Haven't been in Chester in awhile. Rumor has it Mountainer is in trouble so who knows what will happen there.

jhn9840
John

#9 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,515 Thanks
  • 732 posts

Posted February 09, 2016 - 06:54 PM

Torch for sale then, do I understand?  Brand and price?  I have an old one, supposed to be one of best made, but is so old, shops no longer have tips and parts for them. Last time looked thru a big box of left-over tips all new, but this brand that no one wanted. Good sizes all gone. I didn't wanna buy chinese set that didn't have parts too.  Least you got some US made stuff. Not sure brand on the cutter?  I should buy plasma cutter and sell my torch too, but can't seem to do the big spend for what little most of those can cut, thickness wise.  Then still need to heat things, so guess torch stays!

Ever try here for tips: http://torchtips.com/
I've already sent my used one to the neighbor kid as a compliment to his gearheadedness,his respect he shows to his elders, and being the kind of kid that makes parents proud, he likes to wrench , get greasy , a little bloody and likes all my "junk" .I'm teaching him to weld , he teaching me to not take myself seriously when "SHTT HAPPENS"

If I knew we were neighbors, I forgot, sorry.
Are you planning on going to the FCVAEC plow day this spring?

Usually hit the summer show, I remember as a kid when it was at the fairgrounds. Lived as a kid in Blooming Valley, neighbor on one side was "Muff" Waid who had one heck of a Hit & Miss engine collection, his youngest son Tim owns Valley Machine. On the other side was "Bud"Seiler who was my uncle and had the Allis Chalmers, Hesston, New Idea dealership and garage. Not sure about plow day but I may try. Thanks
  • olcowhand, MH81 and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#10 CanadianHobbyFarmer OFFLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • Member No: 73571
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted February 09, 2016 - 07:21 PM

I can`t find a way to convince myself to invest in a plasma cutter either. The cheap ones I see up here are around $1000 Canadian and up and only rated to cut  1/4" thick. Many years ago (30-ish) my dad and I went in together on a set of torches and a heavy set of chain falls at an auction. About 20 years ago he picked up a new set of torches and I now have the old ones. They are Docksen (possibly spelled wrong)  brand if I remember right.  We bought a propane cutting tip for them.I have a cheap mig and just picked up an arc welder. I only use the torches for cutting and only with propane. If that happens to be the same brand you are looking for, let me know, I still have all the brazing/welding tips and probably the acetylene cutting tip sitting somewhere at my dad's. They are of no use to me, yours for the cost of shipping if they are what you need and I can find them.

Jim

#11 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,627 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted February 09, 2016 - 07:27 PM

When I got my plasma cutter, I looked at Hypertherm because of their high reputation, but due to price, I got a Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 50.  It's serving me very well.

#12 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted February 09, 2016 - 08:00 PM

Did the torch set come with flashbacks?

• KennyP said thank you

#13 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,515 Thanks
  • 732 posts

Posted February 10, 2016 - 06:19 PM

Did the torch set come with flashbacks?

No it didn't come with a set,but I have new ones, I never fire a torch without them.
  • Oldford said thank you

#14 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted February 11, 2016 - 10:30 AM

I used an old Victor torch for several years and never knew about them until i moved and bought an old Airco torch set from a professional welder.  I asked him what the extension things were and he told me about flashbacks.  I still don't know what they do but I know blowing up sucks.

#15 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,515 Thanks
  • 732 posts

Posted February 11, 2016 - 12:35 PM

I used an old Victor torch for several years and never knew about them until i moved and bought an old Airco torch set from a professional welder.  I asked him what the extension things were and he told me about flashbacks.  I still don't know what they do but I know blowing up sucks.

You can place at the torch or at the regulators depending on users preference, I believe they are of a specific type to where you install, I like them at the torch, I'd like to think stopping blow back ASAP is a priority. Airco/Concoa is what my new set up is, I like it, it's USA made and it came with two stage regulators. Thanks for the question about the flashback arrestors, excellent safety inquiry, Kudos.
  • Oldford said thank you