• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 zuren OFFLINE  

zuren
  • Member No: 65629
  • 37 Thanks
  • 49 posts

Posted February 09, 2016 - 02:43 PM

I noticed that the original front tires on my 1618 are beginning to crack and one has a cut so I'm researching replacement options.  I've seen many pics of different styles of tires guys have used but I really like the factory style.  I think I found some here:

http://www.millertir...mplement-4-ply/

Would these handle the stresses of front tire use on a garden tractor since they are an "implement" tire?  Otherwise I'm looking at a 3-4 rib design.

Here is a side question: Has anyone ever put a R4 style tire, or something in between the Ag/R1 tires and Turf tires that were available?  My tractor has turf tires but due to the slopes in my yard, I run chains all year long.  I'm wondering if a switch to a tire with a more aggressive tread on the rear may allow me to only run chains in the winter.

Thanks!

#2 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted February 09, 2016 - 04:43 PM

If we're talking 12" wheels I use Tri-ribs on mine.  Deestone tire brand is good tire for cheaper. Think Firstone and or Carlisle still making those. Deestones I can also by at Firstone dealer in my town. Foriegn made,but better than Chinese ones. www.greaterclevelandtractor.com or close has them on a site with prices for one or better for two. They ship real fast too, couple days for me. I see them at shows all the time now too.  Ebay probly has them I believe. You can get trailer type wheels smaller diam that will bolt to hubs too, but clearance at the spindles is kinda close for very wide tire then. And, tractor may not set level then either and mess up mowing adjustments and such. Try the Tri-ribs. You can maybe see the tires at left in my Avatar? Maybe too small to see.

Edited by glgrumpy, February 09, 2016 - 04:44 PM.

#3 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,007 Thanks
  • 831 posts

Posted February 09, 2016 - 11:10 PM

I likewise have put tri-rib's on both of my PK's really like them for the way they provide positive steering really makes a difference when plowing snow. But if you really like the original type like you linked go for it that looks like a decent price. Not sure about the others your asking about do you have a link to them?

Yes they will handle the loads an implement tire is what most tractor tires are (it means they are not rated for hiway speeds)

Edited by MNGB, February 09, 2016 - 11:23 PM.

• zuren said thank you

#4 zuren OFFLINE  

zuren
  • Member No: 65629
  • 37 Thanks
  • 49 posts

Posted February 10, 2016 - 09:55 AM

I likewise have put tri-rib's on both of my PK's really like them for the way they provide positive steering really makes a difference when plowing snow. But if you really like the original type like you linked go for it that looks like a decent price. Not sure about the others your asking about do you have a link to them?

Yes they will handle the loads an implement tire is what most tractor tires are (it means they are not rated for hiway speeds)

Do you find the 3-rib tires cutting into your lawn?  While I don't really care about my lawn beyond keeping it mowed, I don't want to willingly carve it up.  A happy in-between is probably a 4-rib tire but I haven't found any listed in the 4x12 size.

I do find the current tires lacking in their ability to steer when I run the snowblower.  I have to feather the hydraulics to lift the blower allowing me to turn or use the brakes.

Thanks!

Edited by zuren, February 10, 2016 - 09:58 AM.

#5 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,007 Thanks
  • 831 posts

Posted February 10, 2016 - 12:54 PM

Good Morning, I don't use the PK to mow my lawn around the home, but do large areas and haven't really noticed any tearing it up I'm sure if the ground was soft like early spring or after a good rain they might cut in some, as for turning with the snowblower on you still may have to take some of the wt off but I do know the tri-ribs make a big difference. The 84 1618 had the original type like you linked and the were no to bad for turning on grass the 76 just had flat trailer tires and I noticed they slipped on the grass some so that was one of the reasons to switch to tri-ribs