Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,609 posts

Posted February 09, 2016 - 06:35 AM

I bought a HF Double Cut Saw a few weeks ago when they had it on sale below $45 figured at that price it was worth a try .  I used it last night to cut some thin wall tubing on the rack of my son's 4 wheeler and cut through very fast and clean . Then used it on a plastic RV battery box , it cut clean ( well as clean as I could hold it )  without melting or binding . Will have to see how well the blades hold up but so far not a bad tool

http://www.harborfre...-saw-62448.html

• limebuzz, Bruce Dorsi, KennyP and 6 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,355 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted February 09, 2016 - 07:04 AM

I have looked at that a few times. Wondered how it worked!

• boyscout862 and chieffan have said thanks

#3 jhn9840 ONLINE  

jhn9840

• Member No: 10
  • 125 Thanks
  • 184 posts

Posted February 09, 2016 - 07:17 AM

Looks to be a very handy saw to have around. At that price it's worth a shot. When that blade wears out maybe a higher grade blade would make it even better.

jhn9840
John
  • Sawdust and chieffan have said thanks

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted February 09, 2016 - 07:33 AM

Never seen that before Al. Looks like a handy tool. Sure beats using a grinder for cuts. I'm thinking that with 2 blades opposing one another it would have less tendency to kick back. This seems to be an extension of the dry cut saws that have started to come on the market lately as an alternative to abrasive disk chop saws. I've seen them in smaller than chop saw sizes and now this looks like an even more portable unit. 

• Sawdust and chieffan have said thanks

#5 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,404 Thanks
  • 3,155 posts

Posted February 09, 2016 - 08:10 AM

Did it come with a lube stick?? It better have, or don't cut aluminium with it! It will seize the 2 blades together! My brother has one from Craftsman, works awsome as long as you use the lube stick once in while, or just lube your cut line.

Edited by skyrydr2, February 09, 2016 - 08:13 AM.

• TomLGT195 and chieffan have said thanks

#6 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,592 Thanks
  • 7,653 posts

Posted February 09, 2016 - 08:12 AM

"I bought a HF Double Cut Saw"

I never heard of such a thing. I wonder if my SIL the surgeon knows about this?

• chieffan said thank you

#7 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,609 posts

Posted February 09, 2016 - 08:36 AM

Did it come with a lube stick??

Yes it did , I'm sure it will be a learning experience as I use it for different materials .  One I would like to try is on plastic 55gl drums . I cut one up for a strawberry planter using a sawsall  but it melted and bound up as I went around it . Got the job done but this might do a cleaner job .

• chieffan said thank you

#8 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,134 Thanks
  • 4,486 posts

Posted February 09, 2016 - 08:45 AM

I have look at those and thought different time of getting one.  Decided to wait till I hear some place besides HF how they worked out.  I need to get about an inch off the edge of laminate flooring that is already laid.  forgot to cut the lips off the groove before putting it down.  Now the edges are chipping off.  That might be just what I need.  don't have to be perfectly straight as new carpeting will go against it and cover any variations.

• Sawdust said thank you

#9 Tecumseh power ONLINE  

Tecumseh power

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Member No: 77571
  • 941 Thanks
  • 766 posts

Posted February 09, 2016 - 09:54 AM

I have one of those al. I had a Rockwell it burnt up during a big job. So I bought a hf one . I think it works just as good. And for all the more I use it. Maybe 3 times a month I think it will last me a long time. I have alot of their stuff I gave up on the big $ names a few years ago. And most of it holds up just as good. Granted I don't use it everyday like a trades man. But I do have their air tools at work. (The ingersoll rand repair kits fit most of those ) . We use them so much that no matter what name you get they need rebuilt once a year. And I get the same amount of use out of them before rebuilds.
  • Alc, MFDAC, LilysDad and 1 other said thanks

#10 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted February 09, 2016 - 04:59 PM

I've wondered what these were and how it is geared or whatever to get speed both ways? Is the head bulky then? Gears both sides?  Anyway, Chieffan, I have one of those vibratory cut-off type tools. That might also work for your floor trimming. Lots of odd shaped blades for those. ONly used mine a few times, but really does work pretty good. Odd how they just vibrate back/forth but does cut. Have used the plunge cutter even to cut off wood trim by doors to make flooring fit under it. Didn't think it would work, but cut like butter. Odd tool.  Think mine is HF too.  I go to a weld shop that has tried many brands of tools for the small grinders. They have a barrel full of the old burnt out ones. They buy, use it up, burns out, throw in barrel! Buy another.  I saw many brands in there, name brands and chinese, they are all about same they say. Not sure what they do with them all when barrel is full. Scrap yard??

#11 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted February 09, 2016 - 07:35 PM

We've had ours about two years now. It is especially nice for trimming barn steel roofing and panels. (smoother edges than the air cutters we used before) I think you will like it, we do.

• Alc, MFDAC and Sawdust have said thanks

#12 CanadianHobbyFarmer OFFLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • Member No: 73571
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted February 09, 2016 - 08:15 PM

I have look at those and thought different time of getting one.  Decided to wait till I hear some place besides HF how they worked out.  I need to get about an inch off the edge of laminate flooring that is already laid.  forgot to cut the lips off the groove before putting it down.  Now the edges are chipping off.  That might be just what I need.  don't have to be perfectly straight as new carpeting will go against it and cover any variations.

I am pretty sure sears sells the double cut saws as well (likely the same ones as HF at 5 times the price). The unit glgrumpy mentioned is what you want for that laminate job though. For  the rest of you on here, for cutting 55 gallon poly drums, a circular saw with a 7-1/4" 40 tooth blade is hard to beat and works fairly well on extruded aluminum as well.

Jim

• Alc and HDWildBill have said thanks

#13 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,609 posts

Posted May 07, 2016 - 05:25 AM

I'm sorry to say this tool didn't last too long . I was using it to cut up a mobile home trailer frame , the thinner outer part ,we were keeping the main beams in tack ..Cutting from the top down the depth of the blades about 2" wide channel , made it through about 20 of them then the blades stopped turning . Since the warranty ran out I just threw it in the box until last night . Took it apart and pinion gear and one bevel gear were stripped . I might call the 800 # just to see what they have to say
  • jhn9840, KennyP and MFDAC have said thanks

#14 Sawdust ONLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted May 07, 2016 - 06:04 AM

Could there be a 90 day warranty? It sounds like you might have over worked it. I would think two blades working that close in opposite directions would put a lot of resistance on each other. Maybe limit this tool to thinner wall steel or sheet metal. I still think I'll buy one to keep the sparks down in the shop. Lol Appreciate the follow up.
  • Alc said thank you

#15 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,609 posts

Posted May 07, 2016 - 06:26 AM

Jim the metal was pretty thin maybe 1/16" the strange part was only one bevel gear and the pinion was stripped ,might have been made with too much clearance on the one gear? It was past the 90 day warranty