WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,311 Thanks
  • 4,661 posts

Posted February 08, 2016 - 08:22 PM

On my way to work tonight..

Turning onto Ridgeway ave and a low tire pressure alarm sounds on the car..

What the?? I limp along down to the plaza to get off the road & replace the one low that shows in alarm.. Yup.. sure enough the rear right tire is almost flat & I hear the air leaking out of it as I am looking it over..

So out comes the manual to figure out where the spare tire is and where the jack is hidden at in this new car we got a few weeks ago..

Got that all out and located.. Check!

Removed the hubcap and broke the lug nuts free then jacked the car up.. Removed the tire and installed the donut tire and tightened the thing up.

Dropped the car back down and checked the lug nuts again.. OK..

Good to go!    :rocker2:

Hold the phone!    :tapping_fingers:

I glanced at the front tire and that is flat too!!   Wot the heck!!

So here I sit with 2 flat tires and only one spare!

So I made a call and luckily the lil' woman was still @ work.. She heads to Dunkin's (or somewhere else) and gets me yet another donut for the front and brings it up to me! :urock:    :big_hug: 

Looks like I got Donuts for Valentines day this year!!   :love: 

Thanks Baby!!

• MH81, Alc, hamman and 10 others have said thanks

#2 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted February 08, 2016 - 08:38 PM

Makes you wonder what you ran over or who you may have ticked off. Glad you are back on the road, even though Monday was rough on you today.
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#3 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,134 posts

Posted February 08, 2016 - 09:31 PM

years ago when I was in college coming home on the highway there was glass all over. I ran over it in my old 87 ranger I pulled into drive I new one was flat sure enough had 2 flats. the tires were shot anyway so I put the spare on along with my old man's spare. went to sears to get 4 tires.

now when I ran over the glass to my right was a blue honda. funny thing I pull into sears auto and here was same guy in the blue Honda getting tires too

Edited by jabelman, February 08, 2016 - 09:32 PM.

• wvbuzzmaster and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#4 jd.rasentrac ONLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,443 Thanks
  • 3,991 posts

Posted February 09, 2016 - 06:46 AM

Two flat tires - you are so greedy!

#5 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,439 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted February 09, 2016 - 07:16 AM

the last flat I had was about 4 months ago on my 93 Dakota, just got onto Interstate 55 on my way to work and started hearing a noise... "huh"? didnt register right away as to what that kind of noise was,  popped it out of gear (its a 5 speed stick)  and coasted a bit, almost sounded like something was loose and flopping around under the truck, maybe on the driveshaft?  nope, same noise in neutral and coasting, popped it back into 5th...  about then the drivers back corner "dropped"  OK, that's what it was.    

so I pull over as close as I can to the side w/o scraping my mirror off on the concrete wall on the shoulder (nother stupid idea... makes for a boring commute, wonder how many people that fall asleep seeing that, for mile after mile)

and as I'm standing in the open driver's side doorway getting the jack and stuff out from behind the seat, I feel a "breeze" that makes me wonder  for a second if my door is gonna get torn off and slide down the roadway behind me.... even though I'm now off the actual highway , got off at the exit and was parked  just past the mouth of an off ramp on the off ramp's shoulder, instead of on the  side of the actual highway.. not a good feeling. that was a pretty wide offramp with a shoulder to the inside too, I thought traffic was supposed to "get over" as far as possible for someone  pulled over on an interstate, guess everyone dont know that (or just don't care)

I get the spare on and look over my now destroyed tire and see about a 3/8" hole in the middle of the tread/// whatever I picked up in the tire has already flung itself out... wasn't in there for long, whatever it was.  (Michelins aren't cheap either, that's what I destroyed)

• wvbuzzmaster and boyscout862 have said thanks

#6 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,079 posts

Posted February 09, 2016 - 07:25 AM

last flat I had was almost 2 years ago when we were bringing the boy home from the hospital for the first time!  Driving a 2012 Toyota Camry.  Coming up the interstate, I didn't see anything but heard something stick in the tire, make a couple turns with the tire, then fly out.  Told my wife, well I gotta get off here. Why?  Because we are going to have a flat.  As soon as I said that the screen on the dash lit up with low tire pressure on the passenger side rear.  She was all kinds of impressed.

Pulled into a gas station, popped the new one on.  Then went home and after they feel asleep I went to my buddy's tire shop and got 4 new tires put on since I was running the old ones down to their last bit of tread.

#7 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,289 Thanks
  • 28,622 posts

Posted February 09, 2016 - 07:30 AM

Parents had a two-fer twenty years ago. Mudflap with the big sheet metal screws and part of a bracket..
  • wvbuzzmaster and boyscout862 have said thanks

#8 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,772 Thanks
  • 7,538 posts

Posted February 09, 2016 - 09:21 AM

Do not change a tire in the breakdown lane of a big highway. I've known two wrecker drivers and a state trooper that were killed while parked in the breakdown lane. Many drunk drivers seem to recognize the breakdown lane as a driving lane. Get off the highway if at all possible. Good Luck, Rick

• MH81, wvbuzzmaster and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#9 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted February 09, 2016 - 09:25 AM

As far as a highway vehicle, I've been very fortunate as far as flats.  Had a flat in my old Mustang II about 30 years ago 10 miles from home, but within a rock's throw of a friend's house who gave me a ride home, as my spare was flat!.  Had a flat on my trailer about 8 years ago (on interstate 65 in the POURING rain) on route to the NW tip of Ohio to fetch my first Bush Hog JBI.

As far as bigger trucks, about 35 years ago when in our old 1970? Ford 2 ton hauling 20,000lbs of corn up interstate 65, I blew one of my right rear tires.  Slowed to a crawl in the emergency lane to try limping to next exit where there was a truck center, but didn't make it 300 yards when the other right rear blew.  In the few feet it took to stop, it turned both rims into stop sign shape.   Took about 16hrs for the road service to locate 2 rims and get me going.  Then about 5 years ago, hauling 22,00lbs of corn I blew one of my right rears going to my feed mill.  Took about 8hrs to get going that time.

• MH81, wvbuzzmaster, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#10 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,493 Thanks
  • 3,380 posts

Posted February 09, 2016 - 10:53 AM

I can't top 2 flats at the same time, but I did run out of gas three times one Friday. Of course I was 17.

• boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#11 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,865 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted February 09, 2016 - 12:20 PM

Flat Tires? I pull off to the side, haul out the cell phone and call C.A.A. I pay good money for the membership and at this stage of my life I don't mind playing the "old lady card" when needed. Besides you almost need an engineering degree to figure out the jack that comes with this truck!
  • olcowhand, wvbuzzmaster, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#12 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,393 Thanks
  • 1,532 posts

Posted February 09, 2016 - 01:54 PM

Never had a flat personally yet, we had one (the entire family) after picking my sister up in Albany, tire blew on the right-hand on ramp on the thruway, had to cross 3 lanes of traffic to be able to stop. 

#13 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 950 posts

Posted February 09, 2016 - 04:42 PM

I had to change tire when it was bazzillion below and blowing and I had a splint on left arm,,get home and relay my story. My wife says "you could have called  C.A.A."  I thought the plan was just for her car...

Edited by Jazz, February 09, 2016 - 04:42 PM.

• boyscout862, WNYTractorTinkerer and oldedeeres have said thanks

#14 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,311 Thanks
  • 4,661 posts

Posted February 09, 2016 - 09:47 PM

We had AAA for years..  Our relatives used it more than we did..  The price went way up so we dropped it..  Figures that after that I'd need it!  Murphy strikes again!!

#15 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted February 09, 2016 - 09:49 PM

We had AAA for years..  Our relatives used it more than we did..  The price went way up so we dropped it..  Figures that after that I'd need it!  Murphy strikes again!!

I've had AAA for quite a few years now and have never needed it for myself, but have used it for family several times.