• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • Member No: 59269
  • 2,087 Thanks
  • 1,890 posts

Posted February 08, 2016 - 08:10 PM

Just picked up a little billy a little while ago he is a only few hours old. Pictures coming soon. 

• oldedeeres and GeorgeDync have said thanks

#2 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,476 posts

Posted February 08, 2016 - 08:33 PM

Watching that Tree House show on TV and couple had farm and just had born goat there. He was walking around with everyone and going up into the house up the stairs, getting petted just like a dog!  Can they be "House-broken"?  Cute now, but bet not when bigger!

• bbuckler said thank you

#3 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • 2,087 Thanks
  • 1,890 posts

Posted February 08, 2016 - 08:45 PM

Watching that Tree House show on TV and couple had farm and just had born goat there. He was walking around with everyone and going up into the house up the stairs, getting petted just like a dog!  Can they be "House-broken"?  Cute now, but bet not when bigger!

I don't think they can control their bowel movement like a dog. I wouldn't want to keep one in the house but we do keep bottle babies in the house for the first week.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#4 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • 2,087 Thanks
  • 1,890 posts

Posted February 08, 2016 - 08:57 PM

12717589_1043703675686636_2405818908026906729_n.jpg

• MH81, oldedeeres and Greasy6020 have said thanks

#5 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted February 08, 2016 - 09:20 PM

Pygmy goats are awesome. I want a set one day. My friend raises them and they are all like little dogs. The one he "hangs out" with is like a dog. If you sit down on a chair in his shop/man cave he jumps on your lap and wants petted.
  • oldedeeres and bbuckler have said thanks

#6 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,668 Thanks
  • 7,686 posts

Posted February 08, 2016 - 09:38 PM

Billies are never "cute". They think peeing on their face is attractive.

• bbuckler said thank you

#7 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • 2,087 Thanks
  • 1,890 posts

Posted February 08, 2016 - 09:51 PM

Pygmy goats are awesome. I want a set one day. My friend raises them and they are all like little dogs. The one he "hangs out" with is like a dog. If you sit down on a chair in his shop/man cave he jumps on your lap and wants petted.

I'm going to get a female to breed him to when he is older for milk. 

#8 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • 2,087 Thanks
  • 1,890 posts

Posted February 08, 2016 - 10:10 PM

Named the goat Amos Moses. For those who don't know it a Jerry Reed song.

• KennyP said thank you

#9 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted February 09, 2016 - 09:28 AM

We had one that was born in Feb by C-section.  Mother would not claim her.  raised her in the house.  Had her own dog box she slept in.  Went in and out with our Pom.  The two got along great.  She even learned to go out with the Pom and once trained never had an accident.  Was in the house for over 2 months until it was warm enough and she was big enough to be with the others.

Pygmy goats are NOT milk goats.  I don't think that will work out very well due to flavor an quantity. I hope you still get his mothers milk  as he needs that for survival.  Check with a vet for the correct milk substitute as just any old sub. will not work.  We milked the mother for a month to feed ours in the house.  First few weeks it was every 4 hours.  I am not a goat expert but have raised Pygmy goats for 20 years and still have 6 adults.

#10 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • 2,087 Thanks
  • 1,890 posts

Posted February 09, 2016 - 09:43 AM

We had one that was born in Feb by C-section.  Mother would not claim her.  raised her in the house.  Had her own dog box she slept in.  Went in and out with our Pom.  The two got along great.  She even learned to go out with the Pom and once trained never had an accident.  Was in the house for over 2 months until it was warm enough and she was big enough to be with the others.

Pygmy goats are NOT milk goats.  I don't think that will work out very well due to flavor an quantity. I hope you still get his mothers milk  as he needs that for survival.  Check with a vet for the correct milk substitute as just any old sub. will not work.  We milked the mother for a month to feed ours in the house.  First few weeks it was every 4 hours.  I am not a goat expert but have raised Pygmy goats for 20 years and still have 6 adults.

Actually people here uses them from for milk goats because it has a higher butterfat content. 

#11 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,497 Thanks
  • 4,949 posts

Posted February 09, 2016 - 09:51 AM

Man, I would hate to bottle feed. We've gotten lucky over the years, mom's always took care of the babies. You can milk them, there are actually a couple of "pigmy dairy" breeds. My kids have gotten beat in the show ring before by a pygmy dairy, we didn't think they should be with the full size goats, but they were sanctioned as dairy goats so all we could do was just be mad :thumbs:

I'll stick with my big size goats :D

• oldedeeres and bbuckler have said thanks

#12 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • 2,087 Thanks
  • 1,890 posts

Posted February 09, 2016 - 09:57 AM

I would like to raise nubians again.  This pygmy is fighting taking the bottle so we are using a dropper but might have to tube feed if it don't take the bottle soon. 

Edited by bbuckler, February 09, 2016 - 09:58 AM.

#13 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,497 Thanks
  • 4,949 posts

Posted February 09, 2016 - 10:02 AM

I would like to raise nubians again.  This pygmy is fighting taking the bottle so we are using a dropper but might have to tube feed if it don't take the bottle soon. 

Man, that's a lot of work, hopefully he will get it right quickly and start suckling.

We had Nubians and Alpines, man the Alpines could put out some milk. My wife is looking into getting another Nubian to have around maybe breed for milking which means.... old dad will be doing the milking :boo_hoo:

#14 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • 2,087 Thanks
  • 1,890 posts

Posted February 09, 2016 - 10:04 AM

Man, that's a lot of work, hopefully he will get it right quickly and start suckling.

We had Nubians and Alpines, man the Alpines could put out some milk. My wife is looking into getting another Nubian to have around maybe breed for milking which means.... old dad will be doing the milking :boo_hoo:

My uncle has a friend that has a 100 nubian does he milks. 

#15 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,873 Thanks
  • 3,199 posts

Posted February 09, 2016 - 12:39 PM

I milked Toggenburgs, got an ice cream pail full twice a day from each doe for about seven months, then they slowed down until I dried them off. Gave them a two month rest, and then the new babies came and they went back into production. A trick that worked for me when starting bottle feeding was to hold my left hand over the kid's head, heel of my hand to the back and fingers down the muzzle, and held the bottle with my right hand. They instinctively want to feel the mother's flank/belly on their head when they suck. Always worked for me. And yes, they need goat/sheep milk replacer, not the stuff for calves. Wouldn't you know it, it costs quite a bit more than the calf replacer too.

• Cvans and bbuckler have said thanks