#1 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,167 Thanks
  • 1,218 posts

Posted February 08, 2016 - 07:43 PM

I built a two stage snow blower for my Bolens 1050 back in 2004 and have used it for snow removal over the years.  Originally I had made it to run the fan at PTO speed which was way too fast and after several modifications I had come up with a speed reduction system using two chains with gears and automatic tensioners that was working not to bad until this year.  I started having problems with the first drive chain and tensioner - the chain wanted to keep throwing the keeper off of the join link and the tensioner did not appear to be working properly as I stripped off the small gear on the PTO shaft - found out that the support for the rear pillow block bearing had cracked and broken the metal angle iron it was mounted on. After thinking about things a bit and studying other manufacturers methods of reducing the PTO to fan speed on lawn tractor snow blowers I decided to fabricate a simpler design that only uses two gears and one short chain that can be adjusted by moving the lower shaft box to tension the chain. My thoughts are that this will reduce the weight a little bit and with the short chain it should reduce the tendency for it to stretch very much. I have it set to run at half the PTO speed by using a 32 tooth gear on the fan shaft and a 16 tooth gear on the PTO shaft - I may have to get a 14 tooth gear for the PTO as according to my calculations the fan speed will be 5652 ft / min at an engine speed of 3600 RPM using the 32 to 16 tooth ratio. Will have to wait for some snow to try it out and see how things work. Here are pictures of the way the speed reduction was set up before.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1 Main Tensioner.jpg
  • 2 Main Tensioner Top View.jpg
  • 3 Main Tensioner.jpg
  • 4 Rear Painted.jpg

• Bruce Dorsi, wvbuzzmaster, chris m and 4 others have said thanks

#2 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,167 Thanks
  • 1,218 posts

Posted February 08, 2016 - 07:46 PM

And here of pictures of the speed reduction setup I changed to.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1 Speed Reducer Setup.jpg
  • 2 Speed Reducer Setup.jpg
  • 3 Speed Reducer Setup.jpg
  • 4 Side View.jpg
  • 5 Top View.jpg
  • 6 Top View.jpg
  • 7 Right Side View.jpg
  • 8 Right Side View.jpg
  • 9 Left Side View.jpg
  • 10 Shield In Place.jpg

• limebuzz, MH81, Bruce Dorsi and 8 others have said thanks

#3 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted February 08, 2016 - 08:04 PM

Love the No Parking sign lol. That is awesome!

I love seeing things that are home made, And that was quite the set up on the first design.

Really loving the new improved version! It looks like a factory gear reducer! Great job!! :thumbs:

Now if only you could take some of this snow off my hands, so you could test your blower. :poke: :(

• boyscout862 and 29 Chev have said thanks

#4 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,115 Thanks
  • 3,205 posts

Posted February 08, 2016 - 08:35 PM

Great thinking. I did gear changing on my ford blower a few years ago. Slowed the impeller speed down , which keep the engine speed up. Works great. And throws snow better than before. Good luck.

Noel
  • limebuzz, boyscout862 and 29 Chev have said thanks

#5 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,167 Thanks
  • 1,218 posts

Posted February 08, 2016 - 08:37 PM

Love the No Parking sign lol. That is awesome!

The signs were destined for the recycle bin many years ago as the bolt holes were worn out from wind damage - cheap source of metal at the time

I love seeing things that are home made, And that was quite the set up on the first design.

The first design gave me some options to determine the best speed to run the fan at since the motor I use on the tractor is a Honda 13 HP that I repowered it with.

Really loving the new improved version! It looks like a factory gear reducer! Great job!! :thumbs:

Thanks - I did have a set up similar to this using pillow blocks once but I did not incorporate a way to adjust the chain tension - as a result the chain eventually stretched and ratcheted on the lower gear

Now if only you could take some of this snow off my hands, so you could test your blower. :poke: :(

I will be quite happy to wait until next winter to test the new setup - we have gotten off very lucky this winter where I am and at the moment have very little snow left.

• limebuzz, chris m, WrenchinOnIt and 2 others have said thanks

#6 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted February 08, 2016 - 08:49 PM

Great looking improvement. Hope it works well next snow storm.
  • boyscout862 and 29 Chev have said thanks

#7 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 991 Thanks
  • 674 posts

Posted February 08, 2016 - 09:11 PM

I think they have a name for contraptions like that I just can't think of it now kind of reminds me of that old game mouse trap. You have quite the eye for design, you have my vote for innovative guy! Rube Goldberg machine is the term I was looking for, great snowblower you built there. Good luck with the test and can't wait to see the results.
  • 29 Chev said thank you

#8 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,076 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted February 09, 2016 - 09:21 AM

I have a 48" Ariens blower that has belts and pulleys instead of chains and sprockets. I changed a couple of the pulleys etc: to increase the speed a bit.I did that because I opened the discharge chute wider. It was blocked off a bit with a  plate only allowing 2/3 of the opening to being used.

What you did with yours is art in it self and lots of thinking and designing. Looks good. thanks for the pics etc:

• 29 Chev said thank you

#9 BolensG10man OFFLINE  

BolensG10man
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 51184
  • 37 Thanks
  • 39 posts

Posted February 09, 2016 - 10:44 AM

I just run a plow and it works pretty well for me. thats a cool setup though. Looks like a transmission i made once. Didnt work very well. Haha. Ended up being 1 wheel drive and pooped out of gear at 1900 RMPs

• 29 Chev said thank you

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,317 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted February 09, 2016 - 12:00 PM

Man, that looks like a very heavy duty unit.
Nice job.
  • 29 Chev said thank you

#11 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,167 Thanks
  • 1,218 posts

Posted February 09, 2016 - 07:30 PM

Thanks for the kind words.  Here is a link to the postings I did on the MTF site as I have modified the original design over the years if anyone is interested. http://www.mytractor...now-blower.html

• limebuzz and WrenchinOnIt have said thanks

#12 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,167 Thanks
  • 1,218 posts

Posted February 10, 2016 - 07:35 PM

Got snow last night so I tried the blower out today and for the most part it worked well.  I am going to order a 14 tooth gear for the lower shaft which should give me a fan speed of 4957 feet per minute at 3600 rpm - the fan is just a little too fast now and when I got into heavy snow it started to kill the engine.  The only problems I had was the 32 tooth gear set screws wanted to work loose so I retightened them and then added another set screw on top to lock the bottom ones and I broke two shear bolts which was strange as I usually did not break them before.  The faster fan speed may be the cause of the shear bolts breaking as it would put more load on the bolt - not sure.  Will see if the tend to break shear bolts continues after I change the lower gear and go from there.  

• chris m and propane1 have said thanks

#13 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,115 Thanks
  • 3,205 posts

Posted February 10, 2016 - 09:42 PM

Sounds good. Slowing the fan speed down will keep the engine speed up , so I found out in my trials and errors. If you want to keep the same fan speed , you will need more hp.

Noel
  • 29 Chev said thank you

#14 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,167 Thanks
  • 1,218 posts

Posted February 13, 2016 - 08:07 PM

Today we got more snow so I decided to use the snow blower to move it which turned out to be a day of frustration and learning.  I had made about six passes removing snow that was six to twelve inches deep and things were going fairly well when I felt a vibration so I turned the PTO off.  I looked down and saw a universal joint cap and snap ring lying in the snow so I picked them up and headed back to the shop to see what happened.  It appeared that the PTO shaft on the snow blower had touched the U joint or clip and was putting pressure on the tractor PTO slip yoke and shaft as it had forced a snap ring out of it's groove and pushed the PTO shaft on the tractor back as well as the clip from the U joint in the slip yoke.  Fortunately I was able to put the snap ring back in the PTO shaft groove which fixed that.  I had a new U joint so I installed it in the slip joint coupling and thinking the PTO shaft was a tad too long I cut about 3/8" off of it and reinstalled everything.  I then did two passes and had a nasty vibration and noise and then the PTO shaft from the snow blower was lying on the ground - found out the front bolt that I was using for a shear pin where the front yoke goes onto the lower shaft of the snow blower had come out (I had double nutted it when I installed it) and when it came out it allowed the front yoke to pull back off the shaft when I lifted the blower and when this happened it caught and broke the front splined shaft of the PTO on the tractor (not good).  I removed the snow blower and put the snow caster on and installed a spare PTO set up I got this summer and blew some more snow until the lower belt guard broke and fell off which I did not notice and when I went to do another pass it got jammed in the auger of the snowcaster and that ended my snow blowing with the Bolens for today.  Headed back to the shop and undid the left side bearing of the auger and got what was left of the belt guard out of the auger and now it turns again.  I will have to make another belt guard as what is left of the old guard is pretty mangled.  I have reached the conclusion that the PTO shaft of the snow blower is now on too great an angle which is what was causing the pressure on the tractor PTO so I will have to come up with a solution to make the shaft angle less.  This was one of the reasons I had used the previous set up with the two chains as this kept the PTO shaft fairly straight with the tractor PTO.  I may make up a speed reducer that could be mounted behind the tractor PTO and drive off the rear and then have a shaft below it similar to the snow blower set up which would allow the PTO shaft to be fairly straight.  Sorry no pictures as it was very cold and by the time I got the shield removed it was almost night time and I was getting tired.

• olcowhand, chris m, WrenchinOnIt and 1 other said thanks

#15 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted February 13, 2016 - 08:34 PM

Great looking work, but when reading, then seeing the pics, I was worried about the shaft angles.  I know with my Massey 4250 tiller, when raising all the way with shaft spinning, I get a terrible vibration, and it's near the same angle.  You'll get it figured out I'm sure.  It's obvious you have the ability.  We've all had to re-do our own designs over the years.

• 29 Chev said thank you