Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted April 28, 2011 - 10:20 AM

No.

I see, so where did you find all the Springfield manuals, and would you like to part with any to a serious collector like myself? I already have a pile of them, just need more lol. I think serious collector of a brand has an original Binder with only original manuals in it (Check), an original "authorized part and service" sign for said brand (Check), and a large collection of that brand (Check), and never has enough of them (Check) lol.
  • WoocheTuh said thank you

#17 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted April 28, 2011 - 02:53 PM

Bruce, that is very cool, I have never found anything like that, how did you come across it?

I composed the 3 pages myself, and posted it to help others. ......The info was compiled by comparing manuals of the various tractors, comparing part numbers, and gleaning some info from Springfield Service Bulletins.

Since I have been on the 'net (about 11-12 years) I have supplied copies of manuals and answered many questions about these tractors. ......This forum is the best place to share the info so it is available to anyone who may need it.
  • MH81 and caseguy have said thanks

#18 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted April 28, 2011 - 03:08 PM

I know I am right because when you do nothing but buy them and have a shop full of them, you don't make many mistakes. I have 8-12 Springfields of all different models and still not sick of them, nor do I think I have enough lol.

What confuses me, Casey, is how you can say the tractor is a 10hp Kohler w/4-spd trans, by looking at that tiny pic which was posted? ......What did you see to know it is a 10hp model?

While it may indeed be a horizontal shaft engine, it is a 1965 or 1966 model (which we agree on), so it could be a 7-1/2hp B&S w/3-spd, an 8hp Kohler w/3-spd, a 10hp Kohler w/4-spd, or 12hp Kohler w/4-spd.
......I tried enlarging the tiny pic, but it was so pixelated, I couldn't ascertain any useful info.

#19 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted April 28, 2011 - 03:28 PM

I see, so where did you find all the Springfield manuals, and would you like to part with any to a serious collector like myself? I already have a pile of them, just need more lol. I think serious collector of a brand has an original Binder with only original manuals in it (Check), an original "authorized part and service" sign for said brand (Check), and a large collection of that brand (Check), and never has enough of them (Check) lol.

Hello again, Casey!

Yep! ....No question about it! .....You have a disease and you're very sick! .......I think it's called the Springfield Syndrome! lol

I am not a collector of Springfields (or any other brands), but I have an attraction to old mowers & tractors because they played a large part in my life. ......My Dad had a mower shop from 1949-1983, and I was literally raised there. .....I also worked there for 25+ years. ......He was a Springfield equipment dealer, along with other brands (Bolens, Toro, Snapper, Eclipse, Hahn, Locke, Wheel Horse, etc, etc, etc.).

When he sold the business in 1983 (I didn't want it), I kept many of the manuals for older equipment which the new owner had no use for. ......That is where my Springfield info came from.

I cringe now when I think of the old literature, catalogs, manuals, brocures, signs, etc., that we discarded over the years because it was obsolete information. .....Binders were often replaced because they were worn out or no longer large enough to hold all the pages.

I am at the point in my life where I should start getting rid of my "stuff," but I'm attached to it. .....I've had some stuff for 50+years!

This forum is a great place to share this old info with others who have the same interests, so after I scan & post manuals, I may consider reducing my "stash."

#20 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted April 28, 2011 - 04:45 PM

What confuses me, Casey, is how you can say the tractor is a 10hp Kohler w/4-spd trans, by looking at that tiny pic which was posted? ......What did you see to know it is a 10hp model?

Bruce, what I saw was the decal on the grill, it took me a couple looks to decide it wasn't the 8 and not a 12. I happen to have a 10 HP Springfield grill so that is how I found it was a 10 HP, and Kohler because I have one just like (67 Toro 10 HP) it and that is what it has, I can see the shaft is front to back, not side to side so it is not a 7-1/4. Like I said, when you have them in your shop and you have repaired them yourself, it becomes fairly easy to confidently say exactly what it is. I had typed out the if it was an 8 or 12 but undid that after taking a closer look a third time at the small picture.

#21 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted April 28, 2011 - 04:51 PM

Hello again, Casey!

Yep! ....No question about it! .....You have a disease and you're very sick! .......I think it's called the Springfield Syndrome! lol

I am not a collector of Springfields (or any other brands), but I have an attraction to old mowers & tractors because they played a large part in my life. ......My Dad had a mower shop from 1949-1983, and I was literally raised there. .....I also worked there for 25+ years. ......He was a Springfield equipment dealer, along with other brands (Bolens, Toro, Snapper, Eclipse, Hahn, Locke, Wheel Horse, etc, etc, etc.).

When he sold the business in 1983 (I didn't want it), I kept many of the manuals for older equipment which the new owner had no use for. ......That is where my Springfield info came from.

I cringe now when I think of the old literature, catalogs, manuals, brocures, signs, etc., that we discarded over the years because it was obsolete information. .....Binders were often replaced because they were worn out or no longer large enough to hold all the pages.

I am at the point in my life where I should start getting rid of my "stuff," but I'm attached to it. .....I've had some stuff for 50+years!

This forum is a great place to share this old info with others who have the same interests, so after I scan & post manuals, I may consider reducing my "stash."

Bruce, all I can say to that is AWESOME! I envy you for having that contact with them when they were brand new and rolling out the door to happy customers. Ya, it sucks what happens to all the "old at the time" information, because no one really thinks about needing that information 40 years down the road. I wish to accumulate just about one of everything Springfield produced, and if you ever wish to bard with anything Springfield let me know. Also, if you have any old pics of your Dad's old dealership I would love to see them.

#22 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted April 29, 2011 - 10:07 AM

I too have a ton of Springfield manuals but not the time or energy to upload them into the manuals section, besides, I been working on the history of Quick Mfg, Inc. I also own just about every version of tractor Springfield made (10 or 11 tractors with 8 in great original condition).

Casey:
Is there any chance you could take pics (4 sides) of your tractors, and compile a VISUAL comparison of the various models? ......The manuals don't show details such as decals, grille details, or colors.

I would be willing to work on this effort with you, if you want help. (You would have to supply the pics! lol)

~~~Bruce

#23 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted April 29, 2011 - 04:00 PM

Casey:
Is there any chance you could take pics (4 sides) of your tractors, and compile a VISUAL comparison of the various models? ......The manuals don't show details such as decals, grille details, or colors.

I would be willing to work on this effort with you, if you want help. (You would have to supply the pics! lol)

~~~Bruce

Bruce, that would be a great setup to work on. I have to get some of them together though (the tires) and all. As for pics at the angles you said, I have none right now because I do corner pics, but can do it however. It will probably be at least mid-May before I begin, or even June, as I have major storage issues, a side-effect of not having enough tractors is the not having any room to work on them. I have gotten good at working in confined spaces though LOL.
  • MH81 said thank you

#24 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted April 29, 2011 - 07:22 PM

It will probably be at least mid-May before I begin, or even June.

That's no problem, Casey. ......If you want help later, just let me know.

#25 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted May 17, 2011 - 02:09 AM

Did you ever buy the Springfield?

#26 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted May 17, 2011 - 05:51 AM

It's great to see Casey and Bruce on this thread , I really enjoyed Bruce telling about his history . Also the way Casey is so into the Springfields . Thanks , Al
  • Bruce Dorsi and wvbuzzmaster have said thanks

#27 bit OFFLINE  

bit

• Member No: 5278
  • 0 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted September 10, 2011 - 09:02 PM

hey casey i just bought one it says springfield 6 it is the tractor type. mine has the fiberglass fenders on it but the hood is that like a 36 can you tell me what i have thanks bit little

#28 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted September 10, 2011 - 09:23 PM

hey casey i just bought one it says springfield 6 it is the tractor type. mine has the fiberglass fenders on it but the hood is that like a 36 can you tell me what i have thanks bit little

Sounds right, you have a 1965 or 1966 version which is when they changed the model name on the hood and to fiberglass fenderpan.

#29 bit OFFLINE  

bit

• Member No: 5278
  • 0 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted September 11, 2011 - 07:45 AM

cool thanks for the info

bit

#30 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted September 11, 2011 - 07:53 AM

I could not enlarge the pic which was posted to see any details, but to my eyes, it looked like a vertical c/s engine, but you may be right.

It is horizontal. That's as much as I know though! You can write a very thick book of "What I Don't Know About Springfield Tractors". LOL