Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Welcome to Garden Tractor Talk Forums

GTtalk is the place to go if you are a garden tractor collector or someone looking for information on your favorite tractor. We have interactive forums, registry, tractor / implement manuals, photo galleries, articles, show coverage, tech tips, how tos, classifieds and much more.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which provides limited access. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate with other members, vote on polls, upload images and attachments as well as many other special features. Registration is quick and easy and best of all completely free!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

springfield lawn tractor???

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 gobucks061313 OFFLINE  

gobucks061313

• Member No: 2957
  • 1 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted April 27, 2011 - 11:45 AM

Hey guys I have an opportunity to buy an old Springfield lawn tractor, but I don't know anything about it. The man selling it wants 100$ for it. Can anyone tell me about it and or if I should make the 2 hour trip to go get it.

Attached Thumbnails

• crcpnaqedoad.jpg

#2 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 13,186 Thanks
  • 26,787 posts

Posted April 27, 2011 - 11:58 AM

I don't know a thing about it, but it looks cool.

#3 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 1,158 Thanks
  • 1,116 posts

Posted April 27, 2011 - 12:09 PM

That appears to be a Springfield Suburban tractor. ....They were manufactured from 1961-1966, by Quick Mfg. Co. in Springfield, Ohio. ......Toro bought the Springfield company in 1966.

That model would have the 6hp B&S vertical shaft engine. ....It was available with or without electric start.

If you can get the model number from the guy, that will tell you more. ....EXAMPLE: Model 65TME The first two numbers (65) indicate the model year of the tractor. .....the letter "T" designates Tractor only ......the letter "M" designates that the tractor was shipped from the factory with a rotary mower attachment .....the letter "E" designates the tractor is equipped with electric start (12v) ...... the "--" after the letters indicates the horsepower of the engine.

Your pic shows up very small, so I can't see much detail. ...However, from the style of seat & fenders, it appears to be a 1965 or 1966 model. ......So, it could be a model 65T-6, 65TE-6, 66TM-6, or 66TME-6. ...The mower should be a 36" cut.

I have manuals for all the Springfield Suburban tractors, and I intend to scan & post them in the manuals section. .....If you need specific info until then, just ask.

I'm not qualified to advise if you should buy it, or how much to pay for it.
  • Bolens 1000, mjodrey, LPBolens and 2 others have said thanks

#4 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,158 Thanks
  • 1,116 posts

Posted April 27, 2011 - 12:11 PM

p.s.: It should have a transmission with 3 speeds forward & 1 speed reverse.

#5 jdslednut OFFLINE  

jdslednut

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 77
  • 515 Thanks
  • 790 posts

Posted April 27, 2011 - 02:31 PM

Is the model naming system true for all Springfields? For example, I have a 62A. Does this mean it was manufactured in '62?

#6 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Mr. Cobbler

• Member No: 2033
  • 205 Thanks
  • 1,055 posts

Posted April 27, 2011 - 04:16 PM

If he says he wants $100 you can probably get it for more like $50-$75. Just about any old tractor is worth that. Picture is small and didn't say if it ran or not so...hard to say any more than that. I can tell you tires on it are worth about $40 and scrap has to be around $100 (maybe?).

#7 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 2,162 Thanks
  • 5,769 posts

Posted April 27, 2011 - 05:07 PM

Ok folks, not to discredit anything Bruce said, because they are true, just not for this tractor. So with that said you have found a Springfield worth picking up because it has the 10 Hp Kohler K series engine. It is a 1965 or 1966 model (I can tell by the fiberglass) and then the engine is a horizontal shaft. It has 4 speeds forward and one reverse. I have a Toro version of that exact Springfield, and I paid triple the asking price on it than the one you found (but the one I bought ran and drove). If you buy it and don't want it let me know, and I will buy it off of you no questions asked.

Edited by wvbuzzmaster, April 27, 2011 - 05:13 PM.

#8 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,162 Thanks
  • 5,769 posts

Posted April 27, 2011 - 05:11 PM

That appears to be a Springfield Suburban tractor. ....They were manufactured from 1961-1966, by Quick Mfg. Co. in Springfield, Ohio. ......Toro bought the Springfield company in 1966.

That model would have the 6hp B&S vertical shaft engine. ....It was available with or without electric start.

If you can get the model number from the guy, that will tell you more. ....EXAMPLE: Model 65TME The first two numbers (65) indicate the model year of the tractor. .....the letter "T" designates Tractor only ......the letter "M" designates that the tractor was shipped from the factory with a rotary mower attachment .....the letter "E" designates the tractor is equipped with electric start (12v) ...... the "--" after the letters indicates the horsepower of the engine.

Your pic shows up very small, so I can't see much detail. ...However, from the style of seat & fenders, it appears to be a 1965 or 1966 model. ......So, it could be a model 65T-6, 65TE-6, 66TM-6, or 66TME-6. ...The mower should be a 36" cut.

I have manuals for all the Springfield Suburban tractors, and I intend to scan & post them in the manuals section. .....If you need specific info until then, just ask.

I'm not qualified to advise if you should buy it, or how much to pay for it.

I too have a ton of Springfield manuals but not the time or energy to upload them into the manuals section, besides, I been working on the history of Quick Mfg, Inc. I also own just about every version of tractor Springfield made (10 or 11 tractors with 8 in great original condition). Do you own any Springfields Bruce?

#9 gobucks061313 OFFLINE  

gobucks061313

• Member No: 2957
  • 1 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted April 27, 2011 - 07:35 PM

Thanks for your help. Once I pick it up I will post more pics

#10 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,162 Thanks
  • 5,769 posts

Posted April 27, 2011 - 09:57 PM

Sounds like you have a good plan, let me know how you do and if you need any help.

#11 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,158 Thanks
  • 1,116 posts

Posted April 28, 2011 - 01:04 AM

Ok folks, not to discredit anything Bruce said, because they are true, just not for this tractor. So with that said you have found a Springfield worth picking up because it has the 10 Hp Kohler K series engine. It is a 1965 or 1966 model (I can tell by the fiberglass) and then the engine is a horizontal shaft. It has 4 speeds forward and one reverse.

I could not enlarge the pic which was posted to see any details, but to my eyes, it looked like a vertical c/s engine, but you may be right.

#12 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,158 Thanks
  • 1,116 posts

Posted April 28, 2011 - 01:11 AM

Do you own any Springfields Bruce?

No.

#13 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,158 Thanks
  • 1,116 posts

Posted April 28, 2011 - 01:14 AM

Hey guys I have an opportunity to buy an old Springfield lawn tractor, but I don't know anything about it. The man selling it wants 100$ for it. Can anyone tell me about it and or if I should make the 2 hour trip to go get it.

I posted 3 pages of info on how to identify the various models of Springfield Suburban Tractors.

Link: Springfield Suburban Tractor Identification - Manuals - Garden Tractor Talk - Forums
  • Bolens 1000, caseguy, Texas Deere and Horse and 3 others have said thanks

#14 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,162 Thanks
  • 5,769 posts

Posted April 28, 2011 - 10:10 AM

I posted 3 pages of info on how to identify the various models of Springfield Suburban Tractors.

Link: Springfield Suburban Tractor Identification - Manuals - Garden Tractor Talk - Forums

Bruce, that is very cool, I have never found anything like that, how did you come across it?

#15 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,162 Thanks
  • 5,769 posts

Posted April 28, 2011 - 10:13 AM

I could not enlarge the pic which was posted to see any details, but to my eyes, it looked like a vertical c/s engine, but you may be right.

I know I am right because when you do nothing but buy them and have a shop full of them, you don't make many mistakes. I have 8-12 Springfields of all different models and still not sick of them, nor do I think I have enough lol.