8 replies to this topic

#1 Gettysburg150 OFFLINE  

Gettysburg150
  • Member No: 40803
  • 9 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted February 08, 2016 - 11:48 AM

Hello all,

I have a chief 1000 that I was given (sort of a house warming gift I suppose) three years ago and its been a great tractor for me.  Was my step-father's uncle's that he purchase new.

I use it for snowthrowing.  Was hoping someone could give me some tips on possibly putting a cab on it and some lights.  It has no lights and is pretty cold getting snow in the face all the time.  Any tips/info appreciated

Jason

• Traill95 said thank you

#2 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted February 08, 2016 - 12:18 PM

If it is a 60s/72 "Chief" type is compatible with the Ford 100/120 series, try looking ebay for the headlights and probably the upper front mount.  The glass ones are pretty high, the later plastic ones from Case etc. are much cheaper and fit the same.

Or on the cheap bolt some spotlight -types to the sides or even front like this guy

images.jpg

As for a cab if you have the elephant ear style of seat pan would be a challenge, metal cabs normally sit on a wide flat fender pan in back and floorboards in front.  maybe a soft cab, lighter weight and make some angle clips bolt them to the fenders then rivet the cab to that... and metal behind the seat too,  good luck

• Traill95 said thank you

#3 Gettysburg150 OFFLINE  

Gettysburg150
  • 9 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted February 08, 2016 - 12:54 PM

Thank you, I wasn't sure where to even start.  I'd like to keep something on it that looks correct since it's in pretty nice shape and has been a hand-me-down in the family

• Oldford said thank you

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,745 Thanks
  • 7,517 posts

Posted February 08, 2016 - 01:30 PM

You can make a frame from steel tubing and cover it with plastic. The lights could be mounted on top of the cab. Becarefull that the lights don't draw to much electricity. In the mean time insulated coveralls for you and a headlamp can get you through a couple of storms. There is some info in our Manuals Section. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, February 08, 2016 - 01:30 PM.

#5 Gettysburg150 OFFLINE  

Gettysburg150
  • 9 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted February 08, 2016 - 02:40 PM

Thanks Rick,

Might put some lights on the cab if I get to building it, liking that idea (don't want to drill any holes in the original metal honestly lol)

Yup, snowmobile gear has got me through so far, doing what I can with what I have ha ha

• hamman and Oldford have said thanks

#6 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,134 Thanks
  • 4,486 posts

Posted February 08, 2016 - 02:42 PM

Always throw snow WITH  or cross wise of the wind and you won't get it in your face all the time.  You insulated coveralls is your cab. 

Face mask and goggles if you really think you need them.  Have threw snow for a many a years and never saw a need for a cab.  Just know which direction the wind is coming from and work with it, not against it.

#7 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted February 08, 2016 - 03:11 PM

Yup, snowmobile gear has got me through so far, doing what I can with what I have ha ha

Even with a cab I wear a snowmobile suit and a backlava.  Also my Uncle Buck hat with no doors sometimes i have to duck but man a front windshield makes all the difference

1-Uncle-Buck-quotes.jpg

#8 Gettysburg150 OFFLINE  

Gettysburg150
  • 9 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted February 08, 2016 - 04:30 PM

I do my best, unfortunately my driveway lay out always ends up having it coming at me one way or another.  It's about 4 cars wide and 3 cars deep to clear.  Storms always end up blowing in from either the SW, NW, or NE.  Theres always one way I'm going to get a face full of snow ha ha

• Oldford said thank you

#9 twostacks OFFLINE  

twostacks

• Member No: 6470
  • 447 Thanks
  • 426 posts

Posted February 08, 2016 - 07:48 PM

I don't have a cab but I do have lights and they are almost worthless when the snow is flying. You'll see me blowing snow in my snowmobile suit and a full face motorcycle helmet. It works pretty well. 

• Oldford said thank you