• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 32,760 Thanks
  • 42,371 posts

Posted February 08, 2016 - 09:04 AM

I have been noodling this idea for some time. Small weights like this are hard to come by around here, so time to 'redneck' it. I have an older small cake pan that measures 10.375 X 6.375 X 1.5. I have plenty of lead and that will make one of these around 40 lbs. The sides of the pan are sloped out some, so I will set up the pan for a left/right situation. Here's a pic of my idea.

ScreenShot003.jpg

Being lead is soft, I am going to make some 1.5 X .125 strap inserts for the cutouts and weld in some heavy wire taken from pieces of fence panels (16' X 4'). This will reinforce the openings and the weight itself.

The hand grip opening across the top is .75 X 3.5. The hanger cutout is 2 X 1.375. with .375 radius on the corners.

Does this sound feasible to you folks?

• Gtractor, Texas Deere and Horse, boyscout862 and 6 others have said thanks

#2 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,176 Thanks
  • 5,775 posts

Posted February 08, 2016 - 09:09 AM

Might want to make the handle opening a little wider if you have "Fat" fingers or plan on using gloves

• KennyP, boyscout862 and michael.kitko have said thanks

#3 michael.kitko OFFLINE  

michael.kitko
  • Member No: 28357
  • 496 Thanks
  • 458 posts

Posted February 08, 2016 - 09:18 AM

In my personal opinion, yes it sounds very feasible. I am sure they will be better than the concrete MTD weights.
  • KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 32,760 Thanks
  • 42,371 posts

Posted February 08, 2016 - 09:18 AM

Might want to make the handle opening a little wider if you have "Fat" fingers or plan on using gloves

I can stretch it to 4" pretty easily right now. Just planning it all out, so if someone has a set of the small ones and can get some measurements that would help.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#5 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 7,550 Thanks
  • 5,334 posts

Posted February 08, 2016 - 09:19 AM

That mioht work if you have a large enough lead pot to melt that much led.  Cold joints will not stay together as the melted lead will not bond good to the cold lead.  Also there is more to it than just melting the lead and pouring it into the mold.  As you melt the lead the zink will come to the top.  You will need a bonding agent, like bullet wax to mix the zink back with the lead before pouring.  Will take a heck of a cast iron melting pot and big burner to melt that much lead.  If that is an aluminum pan, when the hot lead hits the bottom it is going to go 7 ways from sundown.

I would check with ag salvage yards for some of the smallest weights you can find and build your holder to accommodate them.  Be a whole lot less trouble and would work better in the long run.  Just my opinion from making several thousand round of bullets in years past as well as lead head for fishing lures.  Good luck, Kenny.

Edited by chieffan, February 08, 2016 - 09:21 AM.

• KennyP, tractorgarden, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#6 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 10,956 Thanks
  • 8,206 posts

Posted February 08, 2016 - 09:20 AM

Sounds like a great idea. Maybe the handle should just be a piece of pipe? Cast it into the lead. Possibly a piece of steel inside the lead to reinforce the entire piece. Cast your name into the side. Be very carefull when casting because 40 pounds of lead is very ackward to manuver and pour. Take lots of pics. Good Luck, Rick
  • KennyP said thank you

#7 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6172
  • 4,420 Thanks
  • 4,584 posts

Posted February 08, 2016 - 09:51 AM

Go for it Kenny. Didn't you make wheel weights before out of lead?
  • KennyP said thank you

#8 jd.rasentrac ONLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,595 Thanks
  • 4,104 posts

Posted February 08, 2016 - 10:13 AM

Hi Kenny, do you know this ones

Attached File  KofferGewichte.pdf   14.52KB   195 downloads

and can anybody build this at home?!

• KennyP and Oldford have said thanks

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 32,760 Thanks
  • 42,371 posts

Posted February 08, 2016 - 10:28 AM

That mioht work if you have a large enough lead pot to melt that much led.  Cold joints will not stay together as the melted lead will not bond good to the cold lead.  Also there is more to it than just melting the lead and pouring it into the mold.  As you melt the lead the zink will come to the top.  You will need a bonding agent, like bullet wax to mix the zink back with the lead before pouring.  Will take a heck of a cast iron melting pot and big burner to melt that much lead.  If that is an aluminum pan, when the hot lead hits the bottom it is going to go 7 ways from sundown.

I would check with ag salvage yards for some of the smallest weights you can find and build your holder to accommodate them.  Be a whole lot less trouble and would work better in the long run.  Just my opinion from making several thousand round of bullets in years past as well as lead head for fishing lures.  Good luck, Kenny.

I have a stainless skillet I melt the lead in, can do 60 lbs in it. No salvage yards around here that I know of.

Go for it Kenny. Didn't you make wheel weights before out of lead?

Sure did and they were 60+ lbs!

Hi Kenny, do you know this ones

attachicon.gifKofferGewichte.pdf

and can anybody build this at home?!

Those would look cool, but too much work making the mold for those! Thanks! I saved that for reference.

• jd.rasentrac said thank you

#10 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,787 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 08, 2016 - 11:40 AM

I have to second the part about having a big enough pot for melting the lead based on the misadventure of my teenage years.

We used to walk the railroad tracks, collecting the lead from bearings the railroad blew out of the boxes.

My brothers and I got the idea to make lead head spears. Dad who had a lot of foundary experience supervised.

We poured the first one with not trouble melting it in a coffee can, the second we were short on lead, so melted some more and tried to add to the head, it blew up(molten lead everywhere) and my brother to this day has a small scar on his cheek that looks like a cowboy hat.

• KennyP said thank you

#11 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 7,550 Thanks
  • 5,334 posts

Posted February 08, 2016 - 02:48 PM

Sounds like you have the pot and probably the burner part taken care of.  So what is your mold made of?

#12 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 32,760 Thanks
  • 42,371 posts

Posted February 08, 2016 - 03:11 PM

It's a steel cake pan. I have 2 turkey fryers, so one will be used to heat the pan before the lead goes in.

#13 Coventry Plumber OFFLINE  

Coventry Plumber
  • Member No: 60643
  • 1,037 Thanks
  • 575 posts

Posted February 08, 2016 - 04:30 PM

As the saying goes " get the lead out " and melt it. I like the idea . Go for it !

Tom
  • KennyP said thank you

#14 victor3ranger OFFLINE  

victor3ranger
  • Member No: 48052
  • 314 Thanks
  • 630 posts

Posted February 10, 2016 - 12:23 PM

I want to see how this turns out.  I am having a very hard time finding lead right now by the way so if you come across more than you can use I would sure be interested.

:smilewink:

• KennyP said thank you

#15 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 32,760 Thanks
  • 42,371 posts

Posted February 10, 2016 - 12:41 PM

May take a bit before I get this going. Finally have a decent day to make the metal inserts.