Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Ford compact 1220 tractor, won't restart, ideas please.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,114 Thanks
  • 3,205 posts

Posted February 07, 2016 - 08:03 PM

This tractor was running, ran out of fuel, put fuel in, turns over fine , but won't restart and run. First thing I can think of is, that it needs to be bleed, but are there any other ideas , that any of you have. I'm not a diesel guy. Any suggestions would be great, thanks.

Noel.

#2 BigFlash OFFLINE  

BigFlash

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7324
  • 150 Thanks
  • 88 posts

Posted February 07, 2016 - 08:12 PM

Not familiar with that tractor in particular but with almost all diesel engines, you run it out of fuel, It won't re-fire till you bleed the fuel system. I would defiantly start there.

Edited by BigFlash, February 07, 2016 - 08:12 PM.

• boyscout862 and propane1 have said thanks

#3 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,752 Thanks
  • 8,921 posts

Posted February 07, 2016 - 08:13 PM

You need to get the air out of those lines. Start cracking lines, crank until you get fuel, re-tighten and keep moving towards each cylinder.
  • ducky, boyscout862 and propane1 have said thanks

#4 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted February 07, 2016 - 08:34 PM

Just got done working on my buddies 1100, same thing only a 2 cylinder.  If the fuel bowl is partly empty unscrew it till the level comes up and the fuel comes out around the bowl and the base without bubbling.  Next pull the fuel line from the bowl off at the injection pump and let it flow fuel till it comes out without bubbles.  Once this is good hook it back up and crank it over till it starts, don't hold on it too long though.  This is what I did and I got it working with no problems and I had the tank off and everything unhooked so it should work the same for you I would think.

You may need to bleed the lines like Cat suggested.  I did not have to on the 1100 though.

Edited by IHCubGuy, February 07, 2016 - 08:38 PM.

• Gtractor, Alc, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#5 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,662 Thanks
  • 6,476 posts

Posted February 07, 2016 - 09:08 PM

Don't forget the filter too. Never had tractor, but did a Chevy truck once. Had a bleeder at the filter even. New ones have more bleeders now, but they also have electric pumps and you don't have to crank. That is better. Procedure in some manual for tractor??

• boyscout862 and propane1 have said thanks

#6 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Member No: 77571
  • 943 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted February 07, 2016 - 10:54 PM

Yep its going to need bled
  • propane1 said thank you

#7 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,317 Thanks
  • 4,664 posts

Posted February 08, 2016 - 12:00 AM

Yep its going to need bled

I concur..  Start @ the filter (throttle lever in mid position) and bleed air out of the fuel then move to the pump then the Injectors until it runs.  Go easy on the starter motor though..  Prolonged cranking will mess it up..  Good Luck..

Edited by WNYTractorTinkerer, February 08, 2016 - 12:01 AM.

#8 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 08, 2016 - 11:08 AM

If it is like my 1500, but 3 cyl instead of 2. There is a bleeder screw on the pump, to get the air out of the pump. then you have to crack the line on each cyl. to bleed the air out of the lines.  As was stated this is a good time to change the filter. Mine did this a few weeks ago due an insufficient mix of fuel I had some gelling in the filter.  The first time you  bleed the lines it can take a while, but after doing it a few times it becomes a 10 minute job at most. Love my diesel even in cold weather if it has fuel and enough battery to spin it it will start.  Since there is no ignition other than the glow plugs and compression  they are no troubles shooting other than fuel and glow plugs.

One quick question on the plugs. I assume since it just ran out of fuel the plugs are working. But I assume it has a metal bar(I assume aluminum) that runs across the plugs with a brass nut on each plug(looks like it was from a telegraph key) I have taken that off and polished the contacts to assure no corrosion to interfer with continuity. Before I did that mine would start on one cylinder and the second would fire in a few seconds.

Edited by JD DANNELS, February 08, 2016 - 11:23 AM.

#9 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • 6,114 Thanks
  • 3,205 posts

Posted February 08, 2016 - 12:23 PM

Got her going. Bleeder on the injector pump. Bleed it, took a litte while for the engine to smooth out, all good now. Had replaced the filter two months ago. Still looked ok. Thanks for the help.

Noel.
  • JD DANNELS, KennyP, Cvans and 1 other said thanks

#10 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 08, 2016 - 04:08 PM

Got her going. Bleeder on the injector pump. Bleed it, took a litte while for the engine to smooth out, all good now. Had replaced the filter two months ago. Still looked ok. Thanks for the help.

Noel.

That is good to hear!!  I try to never let them run out of fuel but have a few times. I did this once in the middle of a field and was real agrivated.

Hate when I say all those things dad said to me as a kid, But he was right " they run just as good on the top of the tank as the bottom, and you never have to walk".

#11 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • 6,114 Thanks
  • 3,205 posts

Posted February 08, 2016 - 06:38 PM

I like your fathers saying, dads are always right, it seems. The 1220 tractor is not mine, just helping somebody else.

Noel