Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Starter / Generator, Can I make it just a charging unit? How do I wire it?

bolens 1050 diesel project

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 Nascar3244888 OFFLINE  

Nascar3244888

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1218
  • 164 Thanks
  • 593 posts

Posted February 22, 2016 - 01:04 PM

That alternator shouldn't charge till it sees 12v to the ig. terminal. This should receive 12v when the key is turned on, the third terminal is for a dummy light on the dash.

The B terminal should be connected directly to the battery positive terminal.

I don't think those will 'self energize' in stock form.

I purchased the denso alternator http://www.ebay.com/...nFWCAiU&vxp=mtr, and accordding to the info listed on the instructions and ebay, I only need to have the charging wire connected to the battery from the B+ on the alternator for it to charge.  Which it does.  Thats the only wire I have going down to the alternator to get it to charge.  As soon as it turns at a certain rpm it starts to charge and i get a charge of 14.95 volts.  

Some alternators will get damaged if they are spun fast, without being connected.  ....I don't know if your alternator will be affected.

There are solenoids for continuous duty or intermittent duty.  ...If you use a solenoid, you want continuous duty for what you are trying to do.

A normally closed relay could be used in place of a solenoid.  ....A wire from the START terminal of the switch or from the starter, would activate the relay, which would open the circuit between the alternator and the battery only when the starter is being activated.  

In one of your posts you said: "...for wiring now all I have is a regular battery and the main lead is going to the starter and then I have a fused wire running from the battery to a push button switch that then goes down to the starter solenoid which cranks the engine over and thats it." 

Your wiring should be:   Battery to one side of the starter solenoid.  ....Other side of the solenoid to starter.  (Use battery cable)

This other wiring is correct.

I don't remember what I said anymore but this is how I have it set up.  I have the positive terminal on the battery running to one side of the starter solenoid which is mounted directly on the starter, and also the B+ wire from the alternator hooked up at the positive terminal on the battery.  I have a small wire running from the positive battery terminal to the amp gauge which runs through that to a fused wire which connects to the key switch( replaced the starter button I had there ).  When I turn the key to start I have a wire running from the S terminal on the key switch the the starter solenoid which activates the solenoid to crank the starter.  That's Basically the wiring as of now from the tractor.

_________________________________________________________________________________

I had someone mention to me that maybe the battery isn't the greatest anymore, which if I remember correctly this is the first time I am using the battery currently in it but it was a battery that was a couple years old already.  The battery that use to be in it went into another tractor which I sold.  I am going to try and find another better or new battery and try again since I use the batteries for the Bolens Tractors quite a bit so it wouldn't go unused.  Thanks for all the help so far. Also If I can figure out how to post a video of it running how I currently have it all hooked up from Facebook I will do that and if not I will upload it to youtube and add a link here later on.

#17 Nascar3244888 OFFLINE  

Nascar3244888

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1218
  • 164 Thanks
  • 593 posts

Posted February 22, 2016 - 01:24 PM

Edited by Nascar3244888, February 22, 2016 - 01:25 PM.

• EricFromPa said thank you

#18 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,298 Thanks
  • 2,332 posts

Posted October 29, 2016 - 11:16 PM

Did you ever complete the Diesel swap?

How's the power VS the original TRA-10D?

#19 KCJAX6810 OFFLINE  

KCJAX6810
  • Member No: 84676
  • 152 Thanks
  • 97 posts

Posted October 30, 2016 - 09:41 AM

Idk if someone said it but if you could add two diodes one for starting one reverse for charge it might work with the charge wire going back to the Batt Sears 10xls used a belt mount starter and alt in one I don't see why not on something else. Diodes can be cheap as Heck at radio shack

Sent from my 0PCV1 using Tapatalk

#20 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,626 Thanks
  • 3,867 posts

Posted October 30, 2016 - 11:28 AM

If you you halfway handy with electricity try this. A whole lot easier to replace your rectifier.

Schematic.

s-l1600.jpg

Pic.

s-l64.jpg

The 1 wire alternator will also work fine and put out alot of power. The one I have on my 4 wheel drive is 35 amp.

#21 speedbird ONLINE  

speedbird
  • Member No: 8857
  • 125 Thanks
  • 69 posts

Posted November 01, 2016 - 07:46 PM

I read somewhere that an auto alternator can soak up 5 hp when charging. Does anyone know if this is true?